Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Introduction to Yuccas: spanish bayonet fell over

Communities > Forums > Article: Introduction to Yuccas
bookmark
Forum: Article: Introduction to YuccasReplies: 3, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JulieQ
Bella Vista, AR
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #6658954

Thanks for an interesting article. Maybe you can give some advice about a yucca aloifolia. I am trying to decide what to do with my big yucca that laid down last summer. It became top heavy after splitting and growing two branches, and maybe also looking for light from under the trees. I don't know if I should try to cut it back and replant the top part in a sunnier area. I am a little scared of it. It is SO SHARP.

Thumbnail by JulieQ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JaneyBoop
North Charleston, SC

June 8, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #6659675

Same thing happened to me and it was a bugger to do anything with but I did and now it and all the little babies it had for having laid down are gone. I had no idea it would spread like that and that's why I removed it from my partially shaded yard. It really needs full sunlight for maximum performance.

Good luck, whatever you decide to "do" with it!

Janey, SC

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6661986

I'd just leave it... it will most likely start growing upright and will just end up having a long stem running along the ground for a ways.
JulieQ
Bella Vista, AR
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #6662992

It is an awesome specimen for around here, especially in bloom. You have convinced me to try to keep it -- at least for now.
I think I will try to get the grass way out from under the perimeter of the spines and mulch a little at the edges to keep from having to mow too closely to the sharp leaves. Getting the grass out will be a dangerous chore, however.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Introduction to Yuccas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Can you help me determine what kind of Yucca I have? Procrastinator 3 Jun 9, 2009 3:53 AM
Good article lortay 0 Jun 8, 2009 8:46 AM
Yuccas Agavaceas Dracaenas Cordyline Noturf 0 Jun 8, 2009 10:14 AM
silversword relative? aulani61 1 Jun 8, 2009 2:16 PM
Yucca Plant PFB 2 Jun 8, 2009 2:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America