Ensete Maurelli

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I think it is throwing a flag leaf.
This is my 3rd summer with it,Maybe in a few days I can tell for sure,especially if a paddle leaf appears!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
(Zone 6a)

What is happening?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

False alarm,still putting out leaves,that week of cooler weather and 11 inches of rain just slowed leaf production down,but were in full swing again,I know it has put out more than 50 leaves so flowering must be getting close.

(Zone 6a)

Are you the guy that grows all the bananas and then digs them and stores them for the winter? I remember a post with some neat photos...

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes I'm that guy!
I heard from a number of people,I'm known as the bananaman to the locals here in Wichita!!!LOL

(Zone 6a)

Do you have a link to that thread? I'd like to refer back to it. I tell people about it all the time.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Could this be the one??

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/550365/

(Zone 6a)

Yes! That was it. I'll never forget the photo of all those big bananas lying there in the driveway.
I've just learned how to add tags, so I'll be able to find it again.
Thanks again, and I hope you someday get some good bananas!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I've had about 5 trees not that I've ate bananas from,and believe me they are a lot better than store bought ones!!!!

(Zone 6a)

I'm so jealous, that is my dream!!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well it was my dream too,so keep trying,it will happen!!!

szarvas, Hungary

HELP ...... HELP
I cut the head of a Maurellii and this is what I get 2 months later! a Forest
Then what can I do?
There is no thread about the vegetative multiplication of ensete ?

Thanks
Dany

Thumbnail by dany12
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Whoa!!!
I've never seen that happen,but have read it will.
If it was mine I dig it up and try to separate each plant,if possible!!!

(Zone 6a)

My goodness! It is certainly odd looking. How far is "the forest" off the ground? It's hard to tell from the photo but it looks like there is several inches of pseudostem left and the babies aren't even growing in the soil, they're all coming off the top of the p-stem.
If that is so, I think I'd leave it until one or more becomes dominant and then cut the smaller ones off.

szarvas, Hungary

I picked the babies of the mother stump. We must bend to one side and at the same time draw slowly.We heard a little "slap" => I could pick 30 babies.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

Closer we can see that each cutting has one or two small roots.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

An other pic.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

20 minutes later.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

40 minutes later.
Here is something interesting about Maurellii and Montbeliardii :

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~drc/ensete_ventricosum_cultivars.htm

Thumbnail by dany12
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Dany 12,
How many did you lose,that did not have any roots?
My biggest one now is probably 20ft to the tip of the tallest leaf,if it flowers,there isn't enough time for the fruit to ripen,
Dany how tall was your plant before you cut it down?

szarvas, Hungary

Hi,
WOW 20 ft. it is a monument!
The one I'd cut was 2 - 3 ft.- 6 inch of diameter. I have another 10 ft. who never has the time to bloom because every fall ( 1er November ) I am compelled to put to the greenhouse .He is planted in the ground without container. I wonder each year how it supports these maniplulations.
As Maurellii is a spontaneous mutation it can not produce seeds that will give Maurellii, the seeds give the wild Ensete.
At harvest some small " bulbs " on split, they split.

Here is the stump after harvest.
Next harvest 20 days later - LOL ( I don't think so ! )

Thumbnail by dany12
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Here's a picture of mine when I dug it up out of the ground to pot up to bring in the greenhouse,thats about a 20 gallon container,I couldn't hardly pick up to put in the pot,must weigh about 200 lbs or more,I planted it back out the spring ,first week in April,it went thru a 2 inch snow storm,and fell below freezing ,didn't phase it at all,started growing like a weed again,I thought it might fruit this is the 3rd year in the ground.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
(Zone 6a)

WOW. I think the official word is ginormous!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

LOL
This year may have to rope it,and pull it out of the ground with the truck!!!!LOL

(Zone 10b)

Hi Don! What are your favorite bananas? Does this one 'Ensete Maurelli' bear edible fruit? I just bought six different kinds from Stokes Tropicals and can't wait to sample the fruit, but I have a feeling that it will be awhile.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Clare,
Well I really like the Raja Puri,Nice size,the leaves are big and wide,and the best thing is they are strong,and hold up to the wind,without ripping apart.
Hardy to zone 8,and throws fruit earlier than most other bananas,sweet tasting bananas,although a smaller fruit.
Orinoco,a taller banana,hardy to zone 8 as well,leaves shred much easier,but it grows really fast.
Cavendish,smaller plant,nice wide leaves,great tasting fruit.
Ensete Maurelli,very fast grower,very pretty colors ,leaves hold up nicely.Not edible.
Prettiest banana by far is the Siam Ruby,the red leaves are just gorgeous,especially,when the sun shines thru them. So new I haven't heard if anyone has tasted the fruit yet!
Suma,nice size plant,huge wide leaves,got it to fruit,but they turned black just as they were starting to ripen,not sure why.
These are all I'm growing now,they seem to be the easiest,to grow,and believe me I've tried many many others,growing them was not a problem for me,but overwintering was.
What did you get?

(Zone 10b)

Hi Don! I can always rely on you for great information! Thanks so much!

I got the 'Siam Ruby' earlier this year from Logee's as well as the Musa 'Double Mahoi,' Musa 'Dwarf Lady Finger,' and Musa cavendish 'Super Dwarf.' I think the 'Super Dwarf' rotted on me, but I'm not sure because the labels were lost when I planted them.

And I also got these from Stokes:
Musa sp. 'Ice Cream' 'Blue Java' Banana
Musa sp. 'Dwarf Red' Banana
Musa 'Raja Puri' Banana
Musa sp. 'Brazilian' Banana
Musa sp. 'Grand Nain' Banana
Musa sp. 'Misi Luki' Banana

And then I bought an AeAe:-)

I'll see if I can get the other ones you mentioned. I'm going a little bananas for bananas right now. Where is the best place to buy them in your experience?

I don't know how you do all that you do with overwintering. It is a labor of love for you, I know, but there is a big emphasis on the labor part!

This message was edited Aug 6, 2009 3:37 PM

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well Stokes is where I bought my original bananas from.
I have tried all those that you just bought.
Overwintering in the garage or in the crawl space of the house,back before I built my first greenhouse,was the only options I had for overwintering bananas,back then I couldn't control the heat or lack of heat in my case.
Growing any of them was easy,some just grows faster,some take the weather better,and some just taste a lot better,they really like humidity,which you lack,so I'd mulch real well,and keep them watered well during the summer,you might not have to water about once a month during the winter,but mist the leaves to keep the spidermites at bay.
Bananas are heavy feeders,I use a lot of nitrogen fertilizer,about once a month here,plus my ;lawn clippings go around the base of the tree.
I also got my first plumerias from stokes as well.I think my Aztec Gold is not that at all,not sure what it is,but it really smells of a woman's perfume,I really love the fragrance it puts out.
What do you think it is?

Thumbnail by Tropicman
(Zone 10b)

Hi Don!

Thanks for the banana advice! I'll definitely do that.

It looks like it's perhaps 'Celadine' or maybe a seedling of 'Celadine.' I would just call it a yellow/white though. I have a few yellow/whites, and they smell the best.

Do you have a AeAe?

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks
No I don't have a Ae Ae.
Would like to some day,but after hearing everyone who had one,lose it due to rotting,
I'm afraid I'd be throwing a $100 bucks down the drain!!!LOL

Fresno, CA(Zone 9a)

Are any of you in the Banana.org

(Zone 10b)

Yes! I went there to find more info. on growing bananas, and it seems like it's a good resource.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes been a long time since I've been to there web site,so busy hardly have time for here!!!!

Clinton, MO

Tropicman - Could you please tell me the difference between an Ensete ventricosum and an Ensete maurelli??

Much Thanks!

Jonetta

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Ensete ventricosum ,has just a red stripe down the middle of the leaf.
Ensete maurelli,has red all thru the leaf,.both has large seeds in the fruit,which makes just about impossible to eat raw.

Clinton, MO

Thanks Tropicman. I am not interested in the fruit, I just love the plant. I have the maurelli, but the ventricosum looks so close according to some of the pictures posted on Dave's garden I was just wanting a professional input on it. Sometimes the ventricosums on here look to have a lot of red in them throughout the leaves and that was really throwing me as to the difference.

Again, Thank-You!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Your welcome
I have grown both,put like the Maurelli,much better,I have 4 of them 2,for 5 yrs and still have not fruited,I was hoping this would be the summer!!!!

Clinton, MO

Tropicman - I have a maurelli ( a new tiny one). I cut off my three year old toooo short and killed it. I just got this new baby a week ago. I love the maurelli, but was curious of the differences between the two plants. You were a big help!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Next time,give your banana a longer time to come back,I cut one completely down past the top of the corm,because it was mushy,and it has come back for me,slowly since last week in March.
These bananas seem to be more forgiving than any one I ever grown.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Clinton, MO

Tropicman - Thanks for that info. Needless to say I was sick and thought what a stupid thing to have done. I may have gotten too impatient. Like you say it turned to mush, then for weeks the top was hard as cement. However when I finally pitched it out in the garden, I took the spade to cut it up in smaller pieces to be run through the chipper/shredder it was just as white and nice on the inside. I figured then I had made ANOTHER mistake, but I just did not see how anything could have come up through that hard layer. I did take some of the pieces with roots and put them in some pots, I thought what do I have to lose now?? I am probably wasting my time.
Anyway, have the new baby and it is growing and looking great and I told it not to fear I would not do that trick again!!!

Again, Thanks for your help! I do have a growing interest for these bananas. I have a Siam Ruby, this ensete maurelli, and got a small pup from a little nursery a few miles away. The gentleman was not familiar with the bananas and did not even know what this one was. I may post a pic sometime and you will more than likely be able to help me out on the ID.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images