Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tropical Fruits: Ensete Maurelli

Communities > Forums > Tropical Fruits
bookmark
Forum: Tropical FruitsReplies: 143, Views: 892
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6659004

I think it is throwing a flag leaf.
This is my 3rd summer with it,Maybe in a few days I can tell for sure,especially if a paddle leaf appears!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2009
10:37 PM

Post #6856829

What is happening?
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2009
4:20 AM

Post #6858019

False alarm,still putting out leaves,that week of cooler weather and 11 inches of rain just slowed leaf production down,but were in full swing again,I know it has put out more than 50 leaves so flowering must be getting close.
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #6858742

Are you the guy that grows all the bananas and then digs them and stores them for the winter? I remember a post with some neat photos...
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6859027

Yes I'm that guy!
I heard from a number of people,I'm known as the bananaman to the locals here in Wichita!!!LOL
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #6860911

Do you have a link to that thread? I'd like to refer back to it. I tell people about it all the time.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #6860958

Could this be the one??

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/550365/
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2009
11:01 PM

Post #6861070

Yes! That was it. I'll never forget the photo of all those big bananas lying there in the driveway.
I've just learned how to add tags, so I'll be able to find it again.
Thanks again, and I hope you someday get some good bananas!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #6861105

I've had about 5 trees not that I've ate bananas from,and believe me they are a lot better than store bought ones!!!!
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #6861949

I'm so jealous, that is my dream!!!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2009
3:25 AM

Post #6862101

Well it was my dream too,so keep trying,it will happen!!!
dany12
szarvas
Hungary

July 27, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #6870930

HELP ... HELP
I cut the head of a Maurellii and this is what I get 2 months later! a Forest
Then what can I do?
There is no thread about the vegetative multiplication of ensete ?

Thanks
Dany

Thumbnail by dany12

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #6871184

Whoa!!!
I've never seen that happen,but have read it will.
If it was mine I dig it up and try to separate each plant,if possible!!!
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #6871551

My goodness! It is certainly odd looking. How far is "the forest" off the ground? It's hard to tell from the photo but it looks like there is several inches of pseudostem left and the babies aren't even growing in the soil, they're all coming off the top of the p-stem.
If that is so, I think I'd leave it until one or more becomes dominant and then cut the smaller ones off.
dany12
szarvas
Hungary

August 1, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6893525

I picked the babies of the mother stump. We must bend to one side and at the same time draw slowly.We heard a little "slap" => I could pick 30 babies.

Thumbnail by dany12

dany12
szarvas
Hungary

August 1, 2009
2:31 PM

Post #6893541

Closer we can see that each cutting has one or two small roots.

Thumbnail by dany12

dany12
szarvas
Hungary

August 1, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #6893550

An other pic.

Thumbnail by dany12

dany12
szarvas
Hungary

August 1, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #6893553

20 minutes later.

Thumbnail by dany12

dany12
szarvas
Hungary

August 1, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6893566

40 minutes later.
Here is something interesting about Maurellii and Montbeliardii :

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~drc/ensete_ventricosum_cultivars.htm

Thumbnail by dany12

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6893746

Dany 12,
How many did you lose,that did not have any roots?
My biggest one now is probably 20ft to the tip of the tallest leaf,if it flowers,there isn't enough time for the fruit to ripen,
Dany how tall was your plant before you cut it down?
dany12
szarvas
Hungary

August 2, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #6896373

Hi,
WOW 20 ft. it is a monument!
The one I'd cut was 2 - 3 ft.- 6 inch of diameter. I have another 10 ft. who never has the time to bloom because every fall ( 1er November ) I am compelled to put to the greenhouse .He is planted in the ground without container. I wonder each year how it supports these maniplulations.
As Maurellii is a spontaneous mutation it can not produce seeds that will give Maurellii, the seeds give the wild Ensete.
At harvest some small " bulbs " on split, they split.

Here is the stump after harvest.
Next harvest 20 days later - LOL ( I don't think so ! )

Thumbnail by dany12

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2009
5:00 AM

Post #6896528

Here's a picture of mine when I dug it up out of the ground to pot up to bring in the greenhouse,thats about a 20 gallon container,I couldn't hardly pick up to put in the pot,must weigh about 200 lbs or more,I planted it back out the spring ,first week in April,it went thru a 2 inch snow storm,and fell below freezing ,didn't phase it at all,started growing like a weed again,I thought it might fruit this is the 3rd year in the ground.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #6897298

WOW. I think the official word is ginormous!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #6897717

LOL
This year may have to rope it,and pull it out of the ground with the truck!!!!LOL
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #6915361

Hi Don! What are your favorite bananas? Does this one 'Ensete Maurelli' bear edible fruit? I just bought six different kinds from Stokes Tropicals and can't wait to sample the fruit, but I have a feeling that it will be awhile.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #6915659

Hi Clare,
Well I really like the Raja Puri,Nice size,the leaves are big and wide,and the best thing is they are strong,and hold up to the wind,without ripping apart.
Hardy to zone 8,and throws fruit earlier than most other bananas,sweet tasting bananas,although a smaller fruit.
Orinoco,a taller banana,hardy to zone 8 as well,leaves shred much easier,but it grows really fast.
Cavendish,smaller plant,nice wide leaves,great tasting fruit.
Ensete Maurelli,very fast grower,very pretty colors ,leaves hold up nicely.Not edible.
Prettiest banana by far is the Siam Ruby,the red leaves are just gorgeous,especially,when the sun shines thru them. So new I haven't heard if anyone has tasted the fruit yet!
Suma,nice size plant,huge wide leaves,got it to fruit,but they turned black just as they were starting to ripen,not sure why.
These are all I'm growing now,they seem to be the easiest,to grow,and believe me I've tried many many others,growing them was not a problem for me,but overwintering was.
What did you get?
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #6915908

Hi Don! I can always rely on you for great information! Thanks so much!

I got the 'Siam Ruby' earlier this year from Logee's as well as the Musa 'Double Mahoi,' Musa 'Dwarf Lady Finger,' and Musa cavendish 'Super Dwarf.' I think the 'Super Dwarf' rotted on me, but I'm not sure because the labels were lost when I planted them.

And I also got these from Stokes:
Musa sp. 'Ice Cream' 'Blue Java' Banana
Musa sp. 'Dwarf Red' Banana
Musa 'Raja Puri' Banana
Musa sp. 'Brazilian' Banana
Musa sp. 'Grand Nain' Banana
Musa sp. 'Misi Luki' Banana

And then I bought an AeAe:-)

I'll see if I can get the other ones you mentioned. I'm going a little bananas for bananas right now. Where is the best place to buy them in your experience?

I don't know how you do all that you do with overwintering. It is a labor of love for you, I know, but there is a big emphasis on the labor part!

This message was edited Aug 6, 2009 3:37 PM
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #6916122

Well Stokes is where I bought my original bananas from.
I have tried all those that you just bought.
Overwintering in the garage or in the crawl space of the house,back before I built my first greenhouse,was the only options I had for overwintering bananas,back then I couldn't control the heat or lack of heat in my case.
Growing any of them was easy,some just grows faster,some take the weather better,and some just taste a lot better,they really like humidity,which you lack,so I'd mulch real well,and keep them watered well during the summer,you might not have to water about once a month during the winter,but mist the leaves to keep the spidermites at bay.
Bananas are heavy feeders,I use a lot of nitrogen fertilizer,about once a month here,plus my ;lawn clippings go around the base of the tree.
I also got my first plumerias from stokes as well.I think my Aztec Gold is not that at all,not sure what it is,but it really smells of a woman's perfume,I really love the fragrance it puts out.
What do you think it is?

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #6916213

Hi Don!

Thanks for the banana advice! I'll definitely do that.

It looks like it's perhaps 'Celadine' or maybe a seedling of 'Celadine.' I would just call it a yellow/white though. I have a few yellow/whites, and they smell the best.

Do you have a AeAe?

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6917336

Thanks
No I don't have a Ae Ae.
Would like to some day,but after hearing everyone who had one,lose it due to rotting,
I'm afraid I'd be throwing a $100 bucks down the drain!!!LOL
CherokeeGreg
Fresno, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #7047818

Are any of you in the Banana.org
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

September 10, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #7048308

Yes! I went there to find more info. on growing bananas, and it seems like it's a good resource.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #7048744

Yes been a long time since I've been to there web site,so busy hardly have time for here!!!!
daylily_lady
Clinton, MO

June 11, 2010
12:44 PM

Post #7879285

Tropicman - Could you please tell me the difference between an Ensete ventricosum and an Ensete maurelli??

Much Thanks!

Jonetta
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2010
11:05 PM

Post #7880816

Ensete ventricosum ,has just a red stripe down the middle of the leaf.
Ensete maurelli,has red all thru the leaf,.both has large seeds in the fruit,which makes just about impossible to eat raw.
daylily_lady
Clinton, MO

June 12, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #7881695

Thanks Tropicman. I am not interested in the fruit, I just love the plant. I have the maurelli, but the ventricosum looks so close according to some of the pictures posted on Dave's garden I was just wanting a professional input on it. Sometimes the ventricosums on here look to have a lot of red in them throughout the leaves and that was really throwing me as to the difference.

Again, Thank-You!!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #7882886

Your welcome
I have grown both,put like the Maurelli,much better,I have 4 of them 2,for 5 yrs and still have not fruited,I was hoping this would be the summer!!!!
daylily_lady
Clinton, MO

June 12, 2010
11:42 PM

Post #7883721

Tropicman - I have a maurelli ( a new tiny one). I cut off my three year old toooo short and killed it. I just got this new baby a week ago. I love the maurelli, but was curious of the differences between the two plants. You were a big help!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #7884427

Next time,give your banana a longer time to come back,I cut one completely down past the top of the corm,because it was mushy,and it has come back for me,slowly since last week in March.
These bananas seem to be more forgiving than any one I ever grown.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

daylily_lady
Clinton, MO

June 13, 2010
10:54 AM

Post #7884712

Tropicman - Thanks for that info. Needless to say I was sick and thought what a stupid thing to have done. I may have gotten too impatient. Like you say it turned to mush, then for weeks the top was hard as cement. However when I finally pitched it out in the garden, I took the spade to cut it up in smaller pieces to be run through the chipper/shredder it was just as white and nice on the inside. I figured then I had made ANOTHER mistake, but I just did not see how anything could have come up through that hard layer. I did take some of the pieces with roots and put them in some pots, I thought what do I have to lose now?? I am probably wasting my time.
Anyway, have the new baby and it is growing and looking great and I told it not to fear I would not do that trick again!!!

Again, Thanks for your help! I do have a growing interest for these bananas. I have a Siam Ruby, this ensete maurelli, and got a small pup from a little nursery a few miles away. The gentleman was not familiar with the bananas and did not even know what this one was. I may post a pic sometime and you will more than likely be able to help me out on the ID.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2010
9:15 PM

Post #7886435

Sure,I might even be able to Id it!!!
daylily_lady
Clinton, MO

June 13, 2010
9:25 PM

Post #7886474

Tropicman - I have posted a pic in the tropical plants forum. Take a look see. What is it??
daylily_lady
Clinton, MO

June 14, 2010
8:40 AM

Post #7887381

I have posted another picture of a banana I had sold to me as Siam Ruby. I am thinking that is wrong now. No wonder I am so confused. Can you help on THAT one?? I just had someone tell me my new baby is Siam Ruby...which I hope they end up being two different bananas, but I thought the bigger banana was Siam Ruby all this time. HELP!! They are side by side on the Tropical plants forum,,,
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 14, 2010
9:54 AM

Post #7887564

when my siam arrived it was totally green and lab grown...it's been a few weeks and it's JUST beginning to get the coloring...this is a "real" siam ruby...it was totally green when i got it..and tiny...just a lab specimen really??

Thumbnail by tobee43

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 14, 2010
10:31 AM

Post #7887682

my Ensete Maurelli shot thru the roof in about 4 weeks...wow!

Thumbnail by tobee43

daylily_lady
Clinton, MO

June 14, 2010
12:34 PM

Post #7888049

tobee43 - I have a maurelli also, planted it in a big pot, my husband had a fit and told me it should be in a small pot. I told him by the end of the summer, it would be fine.
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 14, 2010
12:47 PM

Post #7888087

well..daylily

...i think you best have it in a BIG pot..LOL!!! actually...i have two...and in between is another type of musa...neither is in a pot...otherwise i'm certain the pot would have broken!! and i know there's parts of MO that get pretty warm!

in the colder areas i have planted i would always claim that they did better in pots because of the lack of growing time...and i think they did.

love to see it if you got a pick ...just for a b4 and after??
daylily_lady
Clinton, MO

June 14, 2010
12:54 PM

Post #7888105

tobee43 - if you look on the tropical plants forum for the id of the bigger banana in the pot (you addressed that thread) it is the reddish pot down the sidewalk in the middle. The next pot is the newest baby who I am trying to find the name of.
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 14, 2010
12:56 PM

Post #7888112

ok...i need to "re" look...i saw two...one does indeed look like it could be siam ruby...it's the smaller pot...but has a big leaf...

i'm re-visiting...by the way...you did an OUTSTANDING job...it looks absolutely lovely daylily!!
daylily_lady
Clinton, MO

June 14, 2010
2:38 PM

Post #7888382

Yes, you are correct, it is in the smaller black pot. It is the one in question throughout all this hoop-la. Here is a picture of the little culprit from above.

Thanks for the nice compliment. I took several pictures of the yard and patio when I took these of the bananas.

Thumbnail by daylily_lady

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 14, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #7888602

well you can wait on tropicalman...since he's most likely the expert on musa...however...let me me the first vote that he will verify siam ruby...:)
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #7889068

Looks like the real deal to me!!!!
And will look like this one of mine in a few weeks!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 14, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #7889082

tropicalman...love the xanthosoma to the right of the siam ruby...i put mine in up north (in a zone 4) it grew over 10 feet and bloomed...but i'm finding it's a slow grow down here in south...i have it sheltered as an understory...u think more sun?????..i see your's right out in direct sun?
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #7889455

Well actually,it is under a queen palm,several hibiscuses,and basjoo bananas,it is the lime green colocasia,I just about lost it over winter to water rot,was just barely any corm left,maybe 20%,so I just planted it and it came back,but it does get morning sun for a couple hours.
So give it as much as it will take,it will let you know by leaf burn,if it is too much!
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 14, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #7889474

well it fooled me in the picture!! i saw the veins and thought is was a xanthosoma . i'll have to get a pix of it 2morrow to show you how similar they look at this stage...however the colocasia although gets large would never get as big as this cultivator of xanthosoma...

i have a lime zinger doing well...but also smaller than it should be by this time...2!

i'm use to a zone 4...so this 9b quick growin stuff is really odd my first year...after over 25 years in the cold...that is for sure!
daylily_lady
Clinton, MO

June 14, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #7889603

Thanks! Tropicman AND tobee43 - I am glad to be straightened out on these and also to know I have 3 different bananas! They are a disease unto themselves are they not? I would like to have more, more, more!!!!!...but then I need more, more, more room!!!!
daylily_lady
Clinton, MO

June 14, 2010
9:51 PM

Post #7889643

tobee43 - posted some pics that I took of the patio when I took the banana "mystery" pictures, they are in the photo forum. I have several in there. Thought you might like to take a look since you had made such a nice comment on the sidewalk plantings.

I would love to see some of your pictures if you have any to share. I LOVE to see all the plants/yards/gardens and flowers!!!! :)

Isn't DG the most wonderful place for help, info., pics and sharing...and last but not least is the new "friends" you meet!!
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2010
6:50 AM

Post #7890147

you have done an unbelievable garden daylily!!! really beautiful!!

i will post a few pics for you here...just some kinda cool ones i think...

this one is a "constitution" canna...right now this may be the last little group left in the usa that shows no signs of disease. apparently in my move i just was lucky enough to have salvaged a rhizome or two!! put the cool part of the picture is the dragonfly, whom i never even knew was there!! LOL

Thumbnail by tobee43

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2010
6:51 AM

Post #7890149

this was a "path" which you can't see because of the growth through r gardens last year...

Thumbnail by tobee43

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7890164

and it sure is!! i know some really great people from when i use to come on...i just started back but not real welcomed in some of the other forums...which i can understand...because it's like who IS THIS PERSON...out of thin air???

usually things like that don't get to me...but when i posted the next pictures...which is now up in another forum and i got not only some incredible responses, but some scientific responses..now that was exciting...you may have seen this one already...it's still soooooooo cool to me!!

Thumbnail by tobee43

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #7890184

tropicalman...this is the xanthosoma i was speaking about...looks very close to your pic...doesn't it i think??

Thumbnail by tobee43

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2010
7:07 AM

Post #7890191

here's r "new" garden progressing...it's been 6 weeks...now...love this 9b!!

Thumbnail by tobee43

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #7890198

hehehe...you sorry yet day...for asking...here's

thru the looking glass of the front new gardens..:)

Thumbnail by tobee43

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #7890207

sorry YET!! ???

ears

Thumbnail by tobee43

daylily_lady
Clinton, MO

June 15, 2010
9:26 AM

Post #7890572

NO! I am not sorry! I love it! love it! love it! Makes my patio look like a barren desert!! Wow! You have a TON of happy plants!! My gosh, how can you find your way in all those plants?? I would love to see more.

The EE in the last picture, the one in the middle with the splotches, I saw this for the first time in a nursery I love to go to in Kansas City. I can't remember the name of it, but they had one left and it was pretty expensive. I wanted it really badly, but alas, thought I better pass it up until they come down in price. Do you remember the name??

Anyway send more if you like. I love sharing the pictures. I will send more of mine later when I have more things blooming in the other beds. I will also send more pics for you, texasbigleaves, tropicman and lakesidecallas to see when the bananas get bigger.

The Siam baby has really been shooting up, the maurelli not as fast. I know the maurelli is a fast grower, but it has really been humid here for about a week. Did I read somewhere the maurelli did not like the humidity so much? - or am I making that up as I go?? Anyway, send pictures anytime. I am going to the city today to shop, so will not check DG until late tonight.
daylily_lady
Clinton, MO

June 15, 2010
9:30 AM

Post #7890587

Oops! forgot. What is going on with the cannas? You mentioned a disease on the canna picture. What is going on with the cannas? I do not have any right now, but have had in the past. I had a tropicanna and one that begins with a phaison or something or other. I did not get them dug one year and they both came up for about 5 years. This year I have not seen them yet, but they are usually late.
Anyway, tell me about this disease business with the cannas.
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #7891306

lol!! u really are so cute daylily!!

the pictures with all the "ears' are actually two types of colocasia ...one is midnight and the other is called Mojito...that's the "spotted" one you like...then there is the xanthosoma which is the variegated leaf...aka micky mouse ears...then we have of course the HUGE... Alocasia x Calidora ...which if you checked out my other post you'll see the response on my variegated black and green mutated leafed colocasia...(which you already did)..that person whom responded to that thread LariAnn, from Arcadia Research actually created that alocasia...talk about very cool.

the concept of my gardens is to be a tropical paradise to meander in and out of..with plenty of benches and resting areas to sit..it's going to take me a few years since i just began this place!

it's not ALL canna...that are pledged with disease...but many of the breeder had some problems i'm not certain if the cause was from the climatic changes...or the really cold winter or what...but many didn't survive that's all i know. i don't bred them myself...but know some of the main breeders and they had problems this year.

when i went walking thru lowes and home depot many are obviously diseased, but you need to know your canna and know what it's suppose to look like..so sometimes it's difficult to tell until you get it home and it doesn't perform up to it's standard. a couple of years ago there was no where to find an undiseased Tropicana canna...now i have seen a few that are ok...so they worked on the problem.

the constitution apparently just got hit this year with the breeders from what i understand, therefore they are just not available at this time. i'm certain they will straighten out the problems down the road...
daylily_lady
Clinton, MO

June 15, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #7892205

Yes, it was the Mojito that I like so well. I guess I like it because it is so different. I am going to be quite nosey, you do not have to answer if you do not want. How much did you have to give for yours down in Florida? Where did you get it?

We are possibly going to make a first time trip to Florida later this summer. Our neighbors bought a home in Englewood and have been wanting us to come down for the last two summers. We are thinking about going this year. Anyway, I would like to visit some of the nurseries down there and maybe take home some "prizes".

It looks like you have a HUGE start on your yard/garden project! Are you sure there is room for anything else?? lol!!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2010
9:50 PM

Post #7892479

I'll get that growth come September!!!He He!
Yes same leaf look a like,I have that one as well,just about a foot tall,but it will get huge by summers end!
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #7893016

tropicalman...i lived in a 6b...but it was a sub zone 4 for 30 years...so you're right...you will not get the growth until sept!..LOL!!

i could actually on many occasions get them to flower by the end of the season...then either pull all the rhizomes etc out and store either them or the actual plants in greenhouses...HUGE ones...where i would start all my cutting for the next seasons work and play! NUTS!!

like i always say...a woman knows she a REAL gardener when it take her MORE time to clean and get her FEET ready than her FACE!!

sept was when we had all of our "garden" parties because those of us in the tropical garden business, our gardens would mature by that time. it was a ton of work for just a few weeks to gaze at...but we were all crazies!!!

one of the gardens i posted above was from the sub zone 4 ...it's a challenge to say the least!!

Thumbnail by tobee43

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2010
3:01 PM

Post #7894560

With all the rain and humidity,I've got a real good start this spring,so things will look great by mid July,if I can get some needed fertilizing done!!!LOL
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2010
3:15 PM

Post #7894587

tropicalman...get ur self busy!! i have overfeed since i moved here...LOL!! it's going stop! things are getting out of control!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2010
8:06 PM

Post #7895483

Planing on Saturday of feeding the rainforest!!!LOL
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 17, 2010
8:23 AM

Post #7896608

yes...soon i will need an axe to get thru the front yard...LOVE it!! we are leaving for calif 2morrow for approx 2 weeks...i was so worried about my gardens ...we have the BEST neighbors everyone came over last evening (3 out of the immediate 4) around me, and offered to make certain is everything is kept up while we r gone!1 LOL...they asked to be paid in cuttings!!

so thankful for good people!!!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2010
3:11 PM

Post #7897561

Doesn't get any better than that!
And then going out to get all the gold in California LOL
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 19, 2010
7:31 AM

Post #7902324

yes...got to san fran yesterday...it's a FREEZING 50 degrees...LOL!!! sooooooo welcomed after the HEAT wave of over 107 heat index in groveland fl...

it's soooooooo beautiful here, i am now recalling the horticulture shock i went through...but you really don't feel it until you get back "home".

also it's NICE my cute little 93 old dad has a puter since they are 3 hours later than me...everyone sleeps in and i can grab his puter for my own.. their grounds are lovely...i'm going try and get some pics! and some cuttings to bring home as well! LOL!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2010
9:35 AM

Post #7902593

Yes !
Please pics!
Oh my 50*,already 90* here in Wichita this morning!
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2010
7:35 AM

Post #7904857

tropicalman...it's soooooooooo hard i have to just WAIT...i haven't had time yet to get out there to take any pics yet...cooking and cleaning for my cutest little 92 &93 year old mom and dad!! LOL...going to get them tho...i didn't realze how much i would like to come back!!

o...and tropialman if your a dad...happy daddy's day!!

day...in the meantime while i'm doing the woman's work of "gathering" pretty pics for calif...u got any of your baby banana's process in growthing??? i can't WAIT to see my lab tissue piece when i get back.

how sad to be SO excited about musa!!!LOL!!!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2010
10:30 AM

Post #7905149

Yes!
Thanks 3 sons!
Who are all dads as well.
I just grow bananas from seeds and off shoots.
Let me how your culture tissues come out!
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 21, 2010
9:41 AM

Post #7907523

i most certainly will...i think i got it out of someone in chicago!! of all places...if i had a better working computer i would copy and paste where i picked it up...i will when i get back...

lol!! belated happy grandpa's day as well tropicalman...!!! r highlight yesterday was skyping and seeing all the grand babies...we wanted or should i say both my son and daughter waited until they were in their 30's to have them...and now within 24 months i'm happy to say we have 2 grandsons and 1 grand daughter! nice to see them on skype!! never had a problem carrying or delivering those creatures...just issues when they arrived...LOL! so the computer is a PERFECT place for a nice visit!!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2010
2:14 AM

Post #7909421

Enjoy them while there young!!!LOL
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 22, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #7909919

nope...i'm not really thinking so...since for some reason, (at this point i think it MUST be written SOMEwhere...!) many are under the impression that it's a grandma responibility is to do all the "dirty" cores associated with young ones...! although they are lucky they are cute..;)

still haven't had the opportunity to get out and take pictures...just quick drive bys of the results of a year round mild climate gardens. i hope to take a moment or two today...no musa tho...i have been looking carefully...i think this side of the bad is too cold!

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2010
8:36 PM

Post #7912190

Enjoy that cool close to triple digits all this week back home!!!
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2010
2:20 PM

Post #7930965

check this out!! just got home and look what happened to my ae ae...it GREW!! whopppppee...for the moment!! ;)

Thumbnail by tobee43

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #7931208

Are you growing it in full shade?
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2010
4:38 PM

Post #7931247

i'm growing it nestled...between plants...not total shade. actually that part of the house is south-west getting full sun most all day...that's why i stuck it between two other plants sheltering it. hope it continues to work out!!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2010
10:06 PM

Post #7932065

I've heard others say to much sun burns the leaves badly.
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2010
5:39 AM

Post #7954502

i think with any variegated plant too much sun does it...i have Stuttgart cannas and they burn almost instantly...even with the slightest sun hitting them.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #7956349

Same here I can't grow them even in the shade!!!
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 10, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #7956976

today's going to be 105 heat index...doesn't even matter about water nothing!!

how's ur Ensete Maurelli doing...???any recent pix???? i'll show mine if you show yours...LOL!! mine are SOOOOOOOOOO big!!! i should have put them against the house and NOT the path leading to the front door!!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7958575

I just came in from cutting about 6 leaves off each one,trying to shape them up some,they were leaning on to my brugs and other plants.
Sure will get some pics tomorrow,have you ever had one bloom?
These have had at least 150 leaves now,and still no flower!
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2010
8:06 AM

Post #7959529

no...i have never seen on bloom either??? wow...150 leaves...i will do some pixs tomorrow...i think ours are approx 15 feet high!! no signs of any flowers at all??? interesting.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2010
2:15 AM

Post #7961768

Sorry didn't get around to pics today,but I have a raja puri,that has thrown a flag leaf,and it hasn't thrown 50 leaves yet!!!!
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 12, 2010
4:38 AM

Post #7961855

me either!! i'm going to try later today since we r on our way to the open market this morning which is about an hour away.

geeshhhhhhh...one would think since i moved to florida i could find great veggies and fruits...NO way...i have to travel! not like in California where they leave SOME stuff for the Californians!! LOL
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2010
9:30 PM

Post #7964160

Ok here is one in front of the front porch!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2010

Post #7964484

BEAUTIFUL!!

r you sure that's NOT MY HOUSE! LOL!!

ok...here's a few pix. my camera must be a woman in her late 40's cuz some days she right on and others she's off sorts! (i can say that cuz i am a woman right? ) LOL!!

i tried to capture the front. now mine we just put them in a babies this years...so one is dark but you can see them i think ok...

This message was edited Jul 13, 2010 9:16 PM

Thumbnail by tobee43

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2010
5:40 AM

Post #7964487

there are two in there...here's one and then a pix of his "truck"

Thumbnail by tobee43

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2010
5:42 AM

Post #7964493

getting "thick"...

by the way...what do i do with them in the winter tropical-man????? it's been freezing here the past couple of winters...and i know these don't pup???

Thumbnail by tobee43

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #7965887

What!!
You didn't tell me you owned a banana plantation!!!!
Does it get below freezing?
If so,you can dig them up,trim all but the last leaf and throw them under the crawl space of your house,or you can put a tall pole up and them cover them with 6 mil plastic,and for heat get a oil filled electric radiator,and set the auto temp gauge to come on when temps drop below 40*
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2010
3:43 PM

Post #7966126

lol!! i didn't?????

that's just the front...i have to take pictures of the other cultivators i have...i not only have have the variegated ae ae, but i also have another difficult type of variegated...whitish yellow ...and a lime green musa...kinda cool!!!

up north we just pulled them out for the winter and stored them. i would cut them all the way down stick them in peat...or in the green house with nothing on the roots! LOL...but i thought here we should be able to leave them in the ground?

This message was edited Jul 13, 2010 6:44 PM
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7966456

oh and here's a "nicer" one... or "clearer"

Thumbnail by tobee43

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2010
6:22 PM

Post #7966460

and more!

Thumbnail by tobee43

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2010
8:55 PM

Post #7966795

Those cannas are tall!!!!!
I'd love to have a ae ae ,but they'd burn like crazy here!
My Raja Puri has thrown it's flag leaf!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 14, 2010
9:37 AM

Post #7967844

a flag leaf!!! it's gorgeous!! HUGE! how many feet long r the leaves???

my tallest cannas hit over 22 feet high!...u know...banana cannas...all the same family...some grow taller than others...i have that one musa that's soooooooooo tall it's unreal!!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2010
10:05 PM

Post #7969637

Well I cut all the leaves off to overwinter in the greenhouse,and when I planted it back in the ground in April,the leaves came out a lot smaller than last summer,usually leaves reach 8ft long,but theses were 5ft or less.
Tall banana as in Intereans variety?
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7969959

i'm not really certain. if they are intereans ..i know there's like 25-80 species in the genus, however, i think the largest in my gardens are those that r "decorative" sidelines.

i have some lovely species that produce fruit, but i don't encourage then to flower because i want the roots to get stronger and i can buy banana down the road for 2 bucks for 3 pounds!!!...(i'm not into growing my own food in an ag county while i have all the farms etc around me...and for that matter i only "camp" at the plaza!)...hehehe.

but i think this particular type does not fruit ...and i do not know the actual cultivator of that really really tall one with leaves that span over 6 feet high! i used them many times in my northern gardens because of their rapid growth.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #7971652

Hmm I thought they all fruit!!!????
Just some weren't edible.
Raining hard here!!!
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2010
12:08 PM

Post #7973204

send the rain THIS way!! nope they don't all fruit...

i haven't had the opportunity to get out and get pictures yet...but i will tomorrow morning!!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2010
4:05 PM

Post #7973806

Just finished raining again!
Which ones don't fruit?
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #7973923

i'll have to get the "correct" name...there are a few. actually, i do believe i only have 3 out of all of mine that actually do product fruit...

i have been into musa for YEARS, however, up in a zone 4 never had to worry over fruit!!

LOL!!! i will find out the name...
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2010
10:12 PM

Post #7974574

Curious on how you adjusted from zone 4 to zone 9.
How are you handling the heat?
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2010
4:48 AM

Post #7974879

i'm NOT...LOL!!!! although where i lived up north for at least 2 months it was in the 90's and just as humid...but then you got also 4-5 months of ice and snow and cold...so if i had my chose it's here...or california...

...i'm just going to go snap a few pics of the musa this morning...if i can find them out in that jungle!! LOL!!

i do believe it's the Giant Cavendish that just gets huge and doesn't flower...however, i know there are a few more like the M. ornata. now, that may because of the environmental conditionals, where they are more "cold" tolerant cultivators, and never able to reach the point of "flowering". i do know there are a few types that the "juice" of the flowers is supposed to be even better than the fruit itself!

This message was edited Jul 17, 2010 8:16 AM
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2010
6:05 AM

Post #7975007

ok...tropicalman dude...i got as wet as i could to get in there to get some pics!! LOL

first one is a Thai Nam Wa Pearl musa...right now i have it in complete shade because it's young...the leaves will get brighter and brighter...

Thumbnail by tobee43

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #7975012

this one is a Thai Variegated YELLOW/GREEN ...unknown name for me...and although it's suppose to be yellow...and green it's more white and green!

Thumbnail by tobee43

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #7975015

this ALSO is pretty common "fruiting" musa...but i'm certain of the name either!!

Thumbnail by tobee43

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2010
6:13 AM

Post #7975020

more in the backgound...i need to get out there and get some work done!!!

Thumbnail by tobee43

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #7976174

Sweeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How do you keep everything so lush looking with all the sun and heat???
Were 98* outside now,and everything here is bent over trying to hide from the sun!!!

Are you a member here???

http://www.bananas.org/
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #7976545

well...it's called water?? LOL!!! and a little bit of love????...we hnad water in the mornings and 2xs a week...

nope...i'm NOT...but have been to the site a few times. i have to join it!...(it was over 100 here today in the sun!)
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2010
10:02 PM

Post #7977091

Yes you have to join it to become a member,its free,and you get to meet a lot of different people from around the world,and trade bananas and information.
84* here at midnight!
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2010

Post #7977365

we nixed the puter last night for the pool...because if the sun it was like a bathtub so it didn't help with cooling us off...but we can't get over night swimming here without having to turn the pool heater on for 2 days b4!!

i think this is the perfect area for many of the the musa family. we were talking yesterday about for now, since this place was absolutely bare to the bone when we moved in, in dec...musa is the quickest way to get some shade until some of the other more"permanent" shade trees get growing!! it's a quick way to be able the plants that need to an understory type in your garden.

we have sooooooo much work still ahead of us!! LOL!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7978474

Where is Groveland ,Located?
What type of palm trees can you grow,and or do you already have some.
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #7979139

groveland is 23 miles west of orlando and about 48 miles to tampa...we r the last "developed" area between orlando and tampa going west...is all farmland. they call this "country" out here...but no so much for us...not compared to where we came from.

the palms...which i do NOT like at all, you can grow many. the royal, queens...and tons more...

we had two queens and some other terrible little ...the two queens were in terrible condition now are quite nice...although to me most all useless...and demand high maintenance. (funny our neighbors came to us and asked what type of palms we had because them loved them...i told them the SAME ones as u...u just have to give them a bit of food!! ) LOL!!

my favorite palm...(if i have to have one) is the bismark...which is noted for it's fan shaped leaf and to me stunning "blue" like coloring. they are really more for a zone 10 and 11...but i found a few that were bred locally and i'm giving them a shot. it's only because they are so interesting in color, but otherwise, once again r somewhat useless for shade...and need to be trimmed and that believe me is NO fun at all. i also have a "rare" bismark...which is red...we do not know if it will stay that way..but hope so!!!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2010
9:06 PM

Post #7979679

I too have a couple small ones that are red,but they will lose the red when they get bigger,I also have a couple about 3 ft now,starting to get a little bluer,then I have a few seedlings I have germinated.
I have a queen about 12ft tall in the ground,I'm going to try to overwinter with protection,I have a California fan now 3 years in the ground with protection,so I'm hoping the queen will make it as well .
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #8181208

tropicman..how was your summer? hows the getting overwintering project/s going?
we had our 1st hard frost this morning..
ive been digging bananas this week.. will take out the last couple ensete maurelii today..
my biggest got over 11' tall.. so im pretty happy.. its going to be a &^% taking out.. the base
is huge.. over 14" across.. its a tree.. LOL
im hoping they all overwinter ok.. next yr.. they "hopefully" could be huge !!!! :)
i will take your advice on the hydrometer.. checking that out on ebay..
what level do you keep yours in storage??
do u keep them in dark too? i have a room i keep pretty cool.. good air circulation
and last couple yrs i just threw a blanket over the cannas i kept in there.. this yr bananas..
and EE will join the room...
ive added a ton of good compost to beds..and next yr will add alot of coco coir to places where the
EE.. cannas... bananas will go.. also want to put some gingers and bird of paradise in...
now its the slow days of winter..
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #8185557

TPnut777
Summer was great!!!
Early fall not to bad either.
Still no frost or freeze,was close the other night,34*.
Now back in the mid 40's again for a few nights.
Here's some pics of how I will be over wintering my bananas.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2010
2:53 PM

Post #8185563

again
Added another 10x8 x12 to a same size greenhouse just for this years plants that are way to big to get in the other greenhouse,plus door is the whole wall entrance.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2010
2:54 PM

Post #8185567

Full size door

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #8185568

Inside

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2010
3:02 PM

Post #8185582

This year I'm trying to over winter queen palm 15fter in the ground with protection,along with a couple 12fter musa basjos.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #8185588

Inside queen palm greenhouse

Thumbnail by Tropicman

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #8199247

wow tropicman!! how big is that queen palm greenhouse? did u make a cover for it in place? so u can leave the palm planted
where its at?
i kick around the idea of adding palms to my ever growing collection of bananas.. lol
i am going to attempt growing bananas from seed this winter.. some banana plants i just cant find..and ones i do
are over $100 if they are available at all... im in no major rush on the expensive ones..so.. nothing ventured...
tropicman..u start alot of palms from seed dont ya..?? what do u use for soil to start? im going to use coco coir and
vermiculite.. ive set up several aquariums heated water in bottom(sub aquarium heaters) with elevated surface above water
to put the starting pots with banana seeds..
everything is out of gardens.. hauled in a lot of rabbit manure for composting..and collecting leaves for mowing down..
thanks to all..sure appreciate your insights and passing on info..
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #8201567

Yep in the ground about 15ft from the house,bought a roll 20x100ft 4 mil plastic and went over the pvc structure from bot directions,and covered with a see thru tarp.
Yes I grow lots of palms from seed,yes bottom heat works best for fast germination,I use heat mats,and a old small fridge with a couple light bulbs for heat.
Sounds like you got a good idea for starting seeds as well.
Haven't had a hard freeze here yet,72* here now,tonites low 51*,Indian summer here!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2010
2:14 PM

Post #8237926

tropicman..hows your winter going so far? hope your plants are fairing good...
it got real cold here after halloween.. last week weve had some chilly single digit temps at nite..
enough already!!!! LOL
checked my dug ensetes,bananas,EE's.. they look ok..
so? if i start some palms too..am i going to get hooked like with bananas? LOL :)
prob so huh... :)
was going to ask you..how are you heating the greenhouses?
best wishes to you..and all for christmas >>>>
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2010
8:42 PM

Post #8243112

Well we have dropped in the teens,and the bananas I had protected with Xmas lights wasn't enough to save the several hands of bananas,they've turned black.
YES! Palms are just like the bananas,you'll be hooked!!!
Sunroom,and 2 greenhouse are heated with natural gas,and 2 greenhouse with electric heat,such as oil filled radiator heaters,if they are well sealed,it doesn't take much to heat them,especially if they are full of lot of plants,lot less air to heat!
Merry Xmas to yours!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8384018

tropicman..how goes your early sping?? looks like my ensetes have overwintered just fine!!! YEA !!!
they have dried..not mushy..but firm..so im "guessing " they are fine.. now my dilemna is..how the *$R*()$*( am i
going to pot the big ones up (biggest is 7' tall cut down) get a head start for summer before planting out in gardens..
sigh..i have the room in the house..and several big windows ..but on warm spring days..i like to take the nanners,EE out
and soak up full fun..
i wonder if thats why they did so well their 1st yr? all of the nanners go huge their 1st yr..??? maybe im just making it up in my mind?LOL
my clumps of basjoo i have potted up and inside..are sending out new leaves every couple weeks..so they are doing good..and getting
nice sized..(6')
dreamin of summer here.. but theres snow outside.. sigh..
? tropicman.. how have your palms done this winter?? arent u growing a ton of palms?
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8385669

Hey! Doing great!,mine have started sending up new leaves as well,in fact I cut one off tonight as it was trying to push the plastic off the greenhouse 12ft high!!
Can you plant yours in 5 gallon buckets? Thats what I use,you can pick them up free or pretty cheap.
I might have lost might coconut palms,as the greenhouse ran out of propane one night and temps fell to 38*,for ,well not sure how long.but long enough the leaves are turning brown,rest of the palms are doing great!
Our snow melted over the weekend,just in time for the forcasting snow storm first of next week,will winter ever end??
We have had 70* days already,and now winter has returned,heading down to 19* TONIGHT!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8386326

wow.. 19F chilly.. we havent had any teens for couple weeks now..hope they are gone for this yr!!!!
actually i bought several 5 gal and 7 gal heavy pots..black plastic..thinking its a project i need to get on.. pot up the
maurellis .and glaucum .. i moisted the roots over the winter..with warm water mixed with kelp powder.. dont know if the kelp helped..
but couldnt have hurt..???
hope ya didnt loose your coco palms!!! do they do ok even with leaf loss? are the trunks the tough part?
ive kicked around idea of a palm addition.. just once ive got a good sized plant.. i cant dig it can i? id have to put a heated cover over it wouldnt i?
got my tomato seeds up..and under lights now..
im with u... enough of winter!!!!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2011
9:01 PM

Post #8387554

Yes it would have to be covered and have a heat source.
This year I went with the thermostat heat tapes around the trunk of my queen palm,and I think it was just what the doctor ordered as it still looks green and healthy outside under the plastic covering.
Now there saying ice and maybe a little snow come Thursday!
Ole man winter just won't give in yet!
March the 3rd the lawn and garden show,can't hardly wait!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8388149

i'll have to check out on thermostat heat tapes..
its nice and sunny here..cool 30F maybe 40F for high today.. im sure
well get some of the storm thats going thru north west right now.. we sometimes miss it and it goes north..
its a crap shoot.. LOL
ive learned some from last yr on potting up nanners...last yr i used a good amount of sand in potting mix..
not this yr !!! LOL oh my aching back..
i use homemade compost,coco coir,and vermiculite..and some worm castings..
it drains well.. and is not near as heavy as last yrs with the sand.. sigh...
i want to pot up the big ensetes in march..i know i'll need help from my helpers.. i cant lift the
biggest 2 alone..
i'll have to use the dolly to take them outside to soak up sun on nice days..
im sure my neighbors will get a kick out of this.. LOL

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2011
10:18 PM

Post #8391383

I too need help getting them in and out of there containers,and use a dolly to get them in and out of the greenhouse.The snow missed us but 200 miles north of me got as much as 9 inches of the white stuff,but the cold wind didn't,26* now,brr!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8391989

we got your snow tropicman.. sigh
woke up this morning to 6" of snow everywhere..its wet..so lost satilite signal..im sure were
going to get down tree limbs next couple days.. not real cold..just wet..
and i was going to get my cold frame together for lettuce/spinach.. sigh
in your online chats/searches... if you come by someone/nursery that has ensete glaucum.. would
ya let me know..
one source on ebay..shes fantastic..but sold her last 3..before i did.. :(
i only have 1 glaucum..it got big last summer..and has overwintered fine.. but id like to get a couple
more..bigger ones.. 3gal + size..
? question. do you store your bananas bareroot in your greenhouse.. in smaller pots?
also.. how dry do you let them go?
im keeping mine bareroot..and i spray roots with water with kelp powder every 10 days or so..
trunks on all nanners are firm.. so im guessing there ok..
thanks.. hope spring shows soon.. you and me !!!!!!!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8392865

Lucky here just snow flurries!!!
I will keep a look out,I have yet to try that one,and would like to also.
I overwinter in any where to 20 to 30 gallon pots,water only once a month or so,do not let go completely dry.
If trunks are firm your doing it right!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8393024

good for u tropic.. snow melted by end of day..but i guess were getting more tonite..sigh..
guess i should be happy about all the water.. its a wet snow were getting now..
ive kicked idea around of keeping overwintered bananas in pots.. my ensetes have huge trunks..
biggest ensete maurelli is like 16" across.. im sure it would need to go in a 20+gal pot..
yea..my glaucum was fantastic last summer..and i'd like to add a couple more out there..
i have 2 musa sabas ive ordered..my understanding is they are really fast growers..and can get big..
which is what im looking for.. hope so.. !!!!
dreaming of spring...
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8396898

We had thunderstorms,hail and tornadoes in Kansas today.
But it was summer in Laredo Texas today,with 102*
So its coming!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Fruits Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Tropicals: Dwarf Pomegranate Calalily 44 Jun 14, 2008 3:00 PM
My Ice Cream banana tree halo 27 Jun 7, 2007 2:41 AM
It just ain't so! :) Vee8ch 29 Sep 1, 2008 5:55 AM
Strawberry guava tropicalaria 58 Aug 21, 2011 8:27 PM
Passion Fruit dwallace59 5 Aug 24, 2007 5:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America