Dave's Garden Cookbook: AFRICAN CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE (Like no other cheese cake in the world!)
AFRICAN CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE (Like no other cheese cake in the world!)
Category: Cakes, Cheesecakes and Icings
4 oz. softened butter (do not use margarine) |
3 ½ oz. sugar (weigh on scale)
½ lb. cream cheese, softened
¼ teaspoon pure vanilla essence
1 pkg Peek Freens - Nice biscuits (24 biscuits) (I am not sure if available in USA?)
12 - 14 Maraschino cherries
6 - 8 double squares semi sweet chocolate, chopped & melted (I melt 1 double square (chopped) at a time in the microwave in a 2 cup Pyrex measuring jug)
1. Cream butter & sugar very well, until pale cream colour, add the cream cheese & vanilla & cream well. |
2. Lay a large 12" x 12" sheet of tin foil on a flat surface
3. In the center of the foil using ½ the package of Nice biscuits as follows: lay 3 even rows close together, of 4 biscuits per row (12 biscuits). Spread less than 1/2 the cream cheese mixture carefully over biscuits being careful to keep biscuits & rows together. Lay another 3 rows of Nice biscuits (12 biscuits) over the first row of cream cheese & biscuits. Spread remaining cream cheese mixture over second layer of biscuits, spreading more of the cream cheese mixture down the center than the sides.
4. Down the center row of cream cheese lay a row of maraschino cherries close together (red look best but you can use green or a mixture of red & green). Lift up the sides of the tin foil to make a triangle, make sure it is in the form of a triangle by pressing all along the length of both sides & bottom & each end to neaten. The center of the cheese mixture will form over cherries.
5. Close top & sides of tin foil & place in a loaf pan to protect triangle shape, freezer for at least 1 hour.
6. Melt chopped chocolate (1 double squares at a time as per above suggestion). Remove tin foil carefully & save.
7. Lay a large sheet of Saran wrap on the counter. Place the cheese cake triangle on the Saran wrap. Spread the melted chocolate over ONE side of the triangle, wrap the Saran wrap over the chocolate, smoothing over chocolate layer & place back in freezer while you melt another double square of chocolate, repeat for other 2 sides & then both ends. Keep wrapped in Saran wrap & re-wrap with saved tin foil. Store in freezer up to 1 month. Remove from freezer at least 3 hours to refrigerator before serving. Slice with a bread knife, cleaned between each slicing. Keep any leftovers in the refridgerator, HA HA. Serves 6 - 8 (maybe!).
This cheese cake I have made every Christmas for the last 35 years. Christmas would not be the same without it. I am now not allowed to eat it (diabetic) but still make it for the family.
» Click here to print this recipe