Celebrating the holidays surrounded by beloved children and pets always makes this time of year sweeter. But the little darlings sure can get into trouble when your back is turned, eh? And thatís why itís important to be plant-smart about exactly what is adorning your holiday setting. Mischievous little fingers may reach for bright red berries, and curious puppies and kitties can eat anything and everything in sight. So letís run down a few popular holiday plant choices and what you should watch out for.
(Editor's Note: This article was originally published on December 8, 2007. Your comments are welcome, but please be aware that authors of previously published articles may not be able to promptly respond to new questions or comments.)
Poinsettias: For many years, this popular beauty was thought to be extremely toxic. However, recent studies have shown that, while ingestion certainly isn’t recommended, eating the leaves certainly won’t cause instant death, although it could cause sickness. In any case, it’s best to keep poinsettias out of reach from curious kids and pets. One last warning: be careful when handling poinsettias. They are part of the euphorbia family, and the milky sap can cause a poison ivy-like reaction on the skin.
Holly: The greatest danger isn’t the pointy-sharp leaves (although those are a nuisance), it’s eating the bright red berries, which can result in extreme stomach and intestinal problems. If decorating with holly, be sure the berries are either out of reach or plucked off the plant and discarded.
Pyracantha: If large amounts of berries are eaten, a stomach-ache may result, however most experts say it is safe for decorating use during the holidays.
Rosary Pea or the Jequirity Bean: The bean has been commonly used in Mexico for jewelry-making, but the plant has been used in India and Africa as both a human and an animal poison. There is no harm if the beans are swallowed whole, but can be life-threatening if they are chewed prior to swallowing.
Amaryllis, Kalanchoe: Somewhat toxic – watch for gastrointestinal problems if ingested. In most cases, large amounts would have to be eaten for real trouble to occur.
Ivy: Several different types of ivy can be toxic, including English ivy.
Of course, Christmas trees can bring a whole host of hazards into your home. Needles on live trees can become brittle and sharp if the tree isn't kept properly watered. (A dry tree is obviously a terrible fire hazard too.) Also, keep tinsel away from small children and pets. Don't use breakable tree ornaments if kids and claws could potentially break them. Avoid those sharp metal ornamental hangers as well.
As always, be smart about positioning plants around your house. Toddlers with a penchant for trouble can eat potting soil containing toxic fertilizer, or swallow pebbles just big enough to be choked on. Also, don’t put heavy plants where they could be knocked over and subsequently fall on a child or pet. Lastly, discourage dangling vines that kids or pets can pull on or get tangled in during a rambunctious moment…because you know the holidays bring plenty of those.
About Tamara Galbraith
I am an avid organic gardener and certified Master Gardener for Collin County, Texas (that's North Dallas). However, I don't take being an MG too seriously, as I still manage to kill plants on a regular basis.
I enjoy growing nearly everything: vegetables, herbs, tropicals, roses...the only plants I'm really bad with are orchids and houseplants. I am also a fierce defender of spiders.
When not gardening I can be found cooking, birdwatching or hugging on either my sweet English hubby or my two wonderful doggies, Ray and Bailey.