Gardeners are always searching for unique containers and sometimes those containers are quite expensive. Pricey flowerpots limit our plant purchasing budget, so we are usually on the hunt for thrifty ways to upcycle containers. We often repurpose everyday materials into decorative and creative accessories for our pot-bound plants. I have a large collection of terracotta flowerpots, since family and friends often pass along their unwanted containers, so this is a great project to repurpose one of them.
I recently remodeled my laundry room and wanted to perk it up a bit with some live plants. My niece, Cassidy helped with last month's Frugal Gardener where we drip-painted some terracotta pots. The results were lovely, but I wanted another container that would blend, but not be exactly the same. I have a huge collection of antique lace, since I like to attend estate auctions. Many handmade 'orphan' pieces can be picked up for pennies, since most folks want the finished tablecloths and doilies. (I have boxes of the stuff) I thought a lace-covered white flowerpot would complement my existing containers. I selected a few loose medallions and a strip of lace that looked like they would be perfect and got out my trusty Mod-Podge®.
Even if you do not have access to vintage pieces, lace can be purchased in the ribbon department of many sewing or craft stores. Thrift stores are another great source and I've often purchased pieces of clothing simply for the trim. Fancy lace and unique buttons that would cost many dollars can be purchased on an unwanted thrift store piece of clothing for nearly nothing. I get many wonderful supplies that way!
I have a huge collection of vintage lace pieces. Often unfinished projects can be picked up for pennies at tag sales or auctions.
I selected some likely candidates for this project and assembled my materials. I'm using the white paint and clear sealer from last months project and my Mod Podge® is many projects old. It goes a long way
I pressed my lace pieces so that they didn't have any curled edges. The lace will be much easier to work with if it is flat.
The flowerpot gets a good coat of white paint, inside and out. If you'd like a contrast, feel free to paint your container with something else, but I was going for a white-on-white look.
If you are wanting to start your design in the middle of your pot, place it in a container and mark a guide line with a pencil. I used a couple of spice lids to raise my pot to the desired level.
Since my medallions weren't connected, I had to space them evenly around the pot. I used tape and moved them around until I was satisfied with my spacing. It turned out that I didn't need one of the medallions.
After they were in place, I marked the centers, so I could reproduce my pattern. I wasn't worried about the pencil marks because I was going to paint over them.
Cover the back side of your lace with a good layer of Mod Podge® and carefully place the medallions on your pot at the marks. Gently press them down and make sure all edges lay flat. Work around the pot with the remaining pieces.
After the medallions are stuck well, go back and add a top coat, making sure that everything has a layer of Mod Podge®, but take care that it isn't so thick that it fills in your lace pattern.
When that layer was dry, I went back and lightly stippled another layer of Mod Podge® because I liked the texture.
The final step is to stick the lace around the rim. Use a similar technique as the medallions. I also added a layer of Mod Podge® around the surface of the rim before I pressed the lace down.
It really wasn't necessary, but just to be safe, I clipped a clothespin where the lace joined. This would prevent unsightly gaps if the lace shifted.
After everything was completely dry, I returned with the white paint and added another coat over everything, then coated that with the clear sealer. My Mod Podge® isn't waterproof, so I had to seal it way from potential moisture.
My vintage lace flowerpot is finished and my 'Marble Queen' pothos planted. My laundry room receives bright, indirect light, so I chose this plant because it should thrive in those conditions.
Fianlly, all of my containers are ready for their new home in the laundry room. This was an easy project and extremely frugal, since I had everything on hand. If you enjoyed this Frugal Gardener project, check out othe editions here.