Introduced in 1988 in Europe, Nepeta 'Walker’s Low' has become increasingly popular with each passing year due to its lovely blue-violet flowers and its long bloom time, attractive grey-green foliage, ease of propagation, lack of pest or disease problems, and low maintenance requirements.
The Perennial Plant Association has passed along the following details about 'Walker's Low':
- Hardiness - USDA Zones 3 to 8
- Size - 30 to 36 inches tall and wide.
- Light - Best in full sun, but can tolerate shade in hot climates
- Soil - Prefers well drained soil and neutral pH
- Uses - Good companion plant for early and late blooming plants. Great for perennial borders, but can be used in herb gardens, rock gardens, as a ground cover, or as a container plant.
- Unique Qualities - Will bloom continuously throughout the season if properly pruned. Great for attracting bees, butterflies and other pollinating insects, but is deer and rabbit resistant. Leaves release a wonderful aroma when crushed.
Your kitty may not go as crazy for 'Walker's Low' as he would for catnip (a close relative of catmint), but most gardeners will love it.