Dyckia
Dyckia choristaminea

Family: Bromeliaceae (bro-mee-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dyckia (DY-kee-uh) (Info)
Species: choristaminea

Cactus and Succulents

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Orange

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Reseda, California

High Springs, Florida

Brenham, Texas

Medina, Texas

On Jan 23, 2015, poeciliopsis from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Central Phoenix -- My Dyckia choristaminea thrives in partial shade, with afternoon sun and once-a-month water in summer. However, I put a second plant about 2 feet away in slightly more afternoon sun and slightly more water and it lingered for months before dying mid-summer. It is a prickly plant, with sharp leaf ends, but is worth it for the bright gold flowers in spring.

On Apr 25, 2013, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love this plant. I grow it in a container and was delighted it survived our 2012 winter, which turned out to be a particularly mild one. I don't consider the flower pretty but the main feature of this plant is its grayish color and its texture. I don't water it much and would move it or cover it if we were to get a long rainy spell. (good for most plants but not for this one)

On Mar 26, 2010, tropicdude from Aledo, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I bought this plant last spring. It has survived a severe and snowy winter. It experienced twelve degrees and had severe foliage dieback. Only four offsets are alive. I will have to see how much it will recover this season. This is 'Frazzle Dazzle' from Yuccado. It was sold to be grown in zone 8b, and I am 8a, so I am pleased that it is still alive.

On Apr 14, 2005, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

small thin-leaved and sparsely spined terrestrial bromeliad with pale forest-green leaves. Looks a bit like a clump of grass until you look closer. Not one of the more vicious Dyckias. Got one of these for the garden in the late summer, and wasn't sure what to expect... would it survive the winter cold, rain? Did fine. And bloomed in May. Gets 1/2 day sun and growing great!