Aloe
Aloe 'Crosby's Prolific'

Family: Aloaceae
Genus: Aloe (AL-oh) (Info)
Cultivar: Crosby's Prolific

Vista, California

Deltona, Florida

Winter Springs, Florida

On Jul 20, 2015, sunkissed from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I bought my Aloe at a local box store in spring 2011, it was in a four inch pot, one cluster with two pups. I planted it in potting soil in 10 inch clay pot and put it on my front outdoor porch. Now four years later my plant has 8 clusters, three are quite good sized. This year is the first year I got a flower spike.
It is hand watered, although it is rains hard it can get wet from wind blowing the rain in. It only gets direct sun in the morning the winter and spring, then as sun changes just bright light summer and fall. I push it back in the corner if we get to freezing, if it gets to the upper 20's I toss a blanket over it. I'll post photos of when I first got it and now, so you can see how much it has grown.

On Apr 15, 2005, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

has nice color in cold and sun (pinkish leaves) with short, stiff, spotted leaves covered with harmelss whitish spines on lateral surfaces. It suckers profusely and seems to be a fast grower (I am assuming that's why it's call prolific). Have gotten several of these from different sources, including HoMe Depot, so seems to be a common hybrid.

Reportedly this is a cross between Aloe nobilis and Aloe humilis var echinatum... and Aloe nobilis itself is a hybrid between Aloe brevifolia and (probably) Aloe distans, or A mitriformis... so a lot of mixing goes into the making of this hybrid, which is probably why it's so variable. Some forms have lots of spots and teeth, while others are relatively smooth (smooth type seems much more 'prolific')