PlantFiles: Gold Dust Dracaena, Spotted Dracaena
Dracaena surculosa

Family: Asparagaceae
Genus: Dracaena (dra-SEE-nah) (Info)
Species: surculosa (sur-ku-LO-sa) (Info)

Synonym:Dracaena surculosa var. surculosa

By jskyieeyes3
Thumbnail #6 of Dracaena surculosa by jskyieeyes3

By Metrosideros
Thumbnail #7 of Dracaena surculosa by Metrosideros

Positive SwimmingJewel On Sep 27, 2013, SwimmingJewel from Southold, NY (Zone 7b) wrote:

If you want to see it grow faster, try repotting it regularly, at least once every 2 years using high quality potting soil and a pot that will give the rootball at least 2" additional room all the way around and under. I pot mine up into pots even bigger than that. And I add a few scoops of Osmocote into the top layer of soil. It grows as much as the room you give it. So if it's growing slow...it's run out of room and soil to grow.

Positive ILoveCleanAir On Aug 3, 2012, ILoveCleanAir from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

I'm not sure if the plant I have is a Gold Dust Dracaena or not. I bought it yesterday on sale at Home Depot in a 6" pot on clearance for $3.33. I will upload a photo when I get home and hope that I can figure out what kind of plant I bought!

Positive jskyieeyes3 On Sep 11, 2010, jskyieeyes3 from Saint Cloud, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

picked this cutie up at home depot in a 3in pot. have had it for over a year. it grows pretty slow, but the foliage is pretty. i enjoy all varieties of dracaenas, so when i came across the florida beauty, i had to pick it up. very little maintenance for this plant. i fertilize with milorganite every 3 months during the growing season, and water once a week. enjoys the partial shade on the back porch! =)

Neutral Jamie_Anderson On May 2, 2010, Jamie_Anderson from Wellington
New Zealand wrote:

I've recently harvested some fruit from this plant... Does anyone know how to grow it from seed. Is it possible?

Positive daringdon On Apr 27, 2010, daringdon from Gilbert, AZ wrote:

Well, I see that most of you say the plant only gets to about 3 ft tall. Mine's about 5 ft tall, and I've trimmed it a couple times...It has flowered several times, and this year it has berries for the first time. I've had it for about 14-15 years.

Positive wormfood On Jan 22, 2009, wormfood from Lecanto, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Mine's growing out side in a shade house and got flowers this fall, late summer. But no berries. Maybe next year I'll let in some butterflies.

Positive katt41 On Feb 3, 2006, katt41 from Michigan City, IN wrote:

I just found this one growing in 3" pots at my local Jewel grocery store here in NW Indiana. They're about 8 inches, looks like they came from cuttings. I love them and hope they get as beautiful as those pictures from CA!

Positive StarGazey26 On Jul 23, 2005, StarGazey26 from (Zone 10a) wrote:

This plant has been a great house plant! I fertalize him once a month, and he does great, he gets a little morning sun, which is alright with him! They only get about 3 feet tall, and are very slow, but are pretty.. Kind of hard to find, have only seen them in 5 gallons at my local home depot. They only carry them once in a while, and they run about 42 dollars for a nice 5 gallon. Its worth the money, you'll have this plant for years!

Gilbert, Arizona