PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'German Queen'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: German Queen

» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing
Ferment seeds before storing

Thumbnail #3 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by alexsbuddy

By alexsbuddy
Thumbnail #4 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by alexsbuddy

Positive nwh On Sep 8, 2012, nwh from Chicago, IL wrote:

I grew 15 different types of tomato this year, mostly heirlooms. German Queen was one of the best, if not the very best. I planted it in a raised bed with lots of compost and organic fertilizer. From 2 plants I got lots of huge, juicy pink tomatoes w/ a sweet flavor and I still have about a dozen fruit still on the plants. It is a potato leaved plant and turned out to be the most heat tolerant and disease resistant variety; it held up to the 100+ heat. It is a beautiful plant actually. Definitely I will plant this one again.

Positive alexsbuddy On Jul 18, 2012, alexsbuddy from Webb City, MO wrote:

I grew 10 varieties of tomatoes this year including German Queen, Brandywine, Early Girl, Black from Tula, Black Krim, Golden Jubilee, Lemon Boy, Cherokee Purple, Arkansas Traveler, and Steak Sandwich. Unfortunately, the heat and drought have pretty much ended this season’s gardening, however, it was a lot of fun up to this point and I took very specific notes about how each tomato variety performed. My top three varieties, in order of performance, were: German Queen, Early Girl, and Brandywine. Of the five performance categories that I tracked, the German Queen was ranked in the top three in three categories, was probably the most heat and drought tolerant, and (subjectively by consensus) had the best taste. Here are the results respectively:

• No. of Days From Transplant to Harvest: Early Girl, Steak Sandwich, Black Krim
• Avg. No. of Fruits Produced Per Plant: Golden Jubilee, Early Girl, Lemon Boy
• Avg. Fruit Size in Ounces: Brandywine, German Queen, Cherokee Purple
• No. Days Bloom to Harvest: Early Girl, Black Krim, German Queen
• Avg. Lbs of Fruit Produced Per Plant: Brandywine, Golden Jubilee, German Queen

Other findings:
• Potato leafed plants were definitely more resistant to pests, heat, and drought than regular leafed plants.
• Yellow varieties produced more fruit per plant than red or black varieties.
• Potato leafed plants produced bigger and heavier fruit, were meatier, and had less seeds than regular leafed plants.
• Hybrids (with the exception of Steak Sandwich which fared next to best in resistance) were actually more prone to damage from heat, drought, and pests. Another exception was the Arkansas Traveler (open pollinated) which immediately began deteriorating from heat and drought which I thought it was supposed to be very tolerant of.
• Black Krims are very susceptible to blossom-end rot with the first batch of fruits with nearly 90% of the fruits being affected. No other variety that I grew had this issue.
All in all, I was most pleased with the German Queen, Brandywine, Golden Jubilee, Early Girl, and Cherokee Purple. Even though the Black from Tula did not produce well, I think it has the best flavor and will continue to grow them each year.

I realize results are dependent upon many factors (type and condition of soil, humidity, avg temperature day and night, etc...), I thought this info might be useful to others.

Negative Mikem6 On Sep 28, 2011, Mikem6 from Bradenton, FL wrote:

Planted this variety and within 3 weeks it had Verticullum Wilt. Flower buds turned brown and fell off, while a Better Boy plant right next to it was totally unaffected. knowing the eventual outcome I took the plant out and replaced it with a Big Beef plant. This variety sounded like it would be a very tasty tomato but never got anywhere near that point in my Earthbox. With all the tomatoes grown commercially in this area (central FL) a more disease resistant variety is needed and German Queen just won't cut it.

Positive habaneros On Aug 8, 2011, habaneros from Manitou, KY wrote:

Absolutely one of the most flavorful varieties for our family! Mmakes wonderful tomato juice. Every plant I have grown the past 4 years has gotten 10 to 12 feet tall and produces late.

Positive Urchin123 On Jul 5, 2010, Urchin123 from Hillsborough, NC wrote:

The German Queen indeed has a potato leaf habit. This is my favorite tomato! Last year this plant produced good size fruit until frost. The bottom leaves seem to be subject to wilt and yellowing. I just cut them off. Great tomato!

Negative ktrose On Aug 9, 2009, ktrose from Delaware, OH wrote:

Started in a local nursery and put in raised garden. Did well at first and after 6 tomatoes were growing the leaves began dying until only the stem was green. The tomatoes gradually ripened but nothing else developed. When I pulled the plant the roots looked healthy enough but there weren't very many for the size plant.

Positive Ozark On Jun 6, 2009, Ozark from Ozark, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grew one German Queen plant several years ago and we really enjoyed it. I remember that both the plant and the tomatoes were enormous, and we thought the flavor was great.

A mole just killed one of my tomato plants, and I bought a German Queen plant today to replace it. We'll see if it's as good this year as I remember.

Corrections: Contrary to the info here, German Queen is a very large Pink, Potato Leaf tomato. I think it's late-season rather than mid-season also.

Neutral lssfishhunter On Mar 10, 2009, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This variety produced decent for me. Some of the tomatoes were very large but ugly. The tomatoes were good but nothing to brag about. If I compared this variety to German Pink, I would have to rate German Pink better. I didn't add this one to my favorite list.

Positive mcgerm On Apr 21, 2007, mcgerm from Galesburg, MI wrote:

This tomato was stingy with its fruit, but every one I got from it was worth its weight in gold. The flavor was amazing and rich. I have 8 started from seed for this year. Eight will be needed to be equivalent to three normal beefsteaks because of its low fruit set. I think I got it as a Bonnie plant last year (2006).

Holbrook, Arizona