Croton 'Curly Boy'

Codiaeum variegatum

Family: Euphorbiaceae (yoo-for-bee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Codiaeum (koh-dih-EE-um) (Info)
Species: variegatum (var-ee-GAY-tum) (Info)
Cultivar: Curly Boy

West Palm Beach, Florida

Kapaa, Hawaii

Denton, Texas

On Dec 9, 2012, back2basixmom from Avon Park, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love this plant, it thrives in full sun and I haven't had any problems with bugs or pests. I take cuttings twice a year. The pruning promotes new branching on the stock plant. New growth appears after about 3 days during the summer, about a week in the winter (FL winter). I dip cuttings into rooting hormone and place underneath a soda bottle dome. Roots within 2 weeks while showing new grows on the top as well.

On Oct 16, 2011, BeniJ from Kentwood, MI wrote:

I bought this plant from a department store about 2 years ago. At first it lost almost all of it's leaves. After leaving it in an east window, it grew beautifully until I tried to repot it in Miracle-Gro. I am now afraid to do anything to it. Hopefully I can post a picture of it and hopefully someone can advise me on what an what not to do to it!

On Sep 7, 2007, macybee from Deer Park, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This genus consists of about 15 species of evergreen shrubs and small trees native to southern Asia, the Malay region and Pacific Islands. One species, Codiaeum variegatum, has given rise to a large number of cultivars with highly colored and sometimes bizarrely shaped leaves. These are popular garden plants in tropical regions, and house or greenhouse plants in temperate climates. Where they can be grown outdoors, the larger-growing cultivars make good hedging plants. The small yellow flowers and tiny seed pods are quite insignificant-the plants are grown strictly for their magnificent foliage.
Cultivation: They will not withstand prolonged cold or dry conditions and prefer moist, humus-rich soil in sun or dappled shade. As indoor plants they are grown in a rich but freely draining... read more

On Apr 18, 2005, jasonc from Parrish, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a great plant like most Crotons. Its hard to kill them down here in Florida but your results may vary.

Here is the information from the label:

"Brightly colored, wavy edged foliage is the hallmark of this upright tropical shrub. Broad glossy leaves display an array of colors, commanding attention in any home or patio setting."