PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Husky Cherry Red'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Husky Cherry Red

Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by synsfun

By jrneubauer
Thumbnail #7 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by jrneubauer

Positive woodsidematt On May 7, 2013, woodsidematt from Scottsville, NY wrote:

Beautiful plant. Prettiest of all the tomatoes. Used it in the front yard in a flower garden.
Gorgeous dense foliage and pendulent spikes of bright red tomatoes that look like christmas balls.
Three feet tall.
Stems are heavy with fruit and need some extra support in addition to the tomato cage or stake or you'll lose branches laden with fruit. I used a few bare shrub branches, resting the heavy fruiting stems in the crotch.
Very prolific, early, bears all season, bright crisp taste.
People were popping them into their mouths all the time.

Positive nwh On Sep 8, 2012, nwh from Chicago, IL wrote:

Husky Cherry has an excellent flavor and it is a great producer. I have been picking these every day for over 2 months, just from 1 plant I have growing in a 20 gal. container. Seems to be heat tolerant and disease resistant as well. I will grow this again.

Positive esmerelda51 On Jul 23, 2012, esmerelda51 from Gold Hill, OR wrote:

The only cherry I'll plant! Husky makes the perfect container plant for decks or patios because it is so beautiful. The growth is dense and compact, with side branches popping up everywhere. The foliage is a deep dark green and the pale green of the immature fruit is a beautiful contrast. Once the fruit begins to ripen, it quickly turns red.

The taste is what I consider perfection in a tomato: not very sweet and tasting almost as if a bit of salt has been sprinkled on. We have taken these to a blind taste test and easily won over heirloom tomatoes.

Only warning I would give is that the plant is so prolific, main stems will begin to sag under the weight of all the fruit. I grow in wood 'cages' (think a four-sided ladder) and tie the main stems to one of the cross bars to provide support.

Positive synsfun On Apr 3, 2012, synsfun from Lake Charles, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have bought only one of these little guys as I have about 10 Large Red Cherries growing from seeds. So far, I have one about to ripen and another growing. The blooms are abundant, and I cannot wait to really start harvesting the fruit. I left this plant in a large pot as a container plant, but the other tomato plants are being added slowly to my kitchen garden. So far, I am really impressed a the rate of growth of this breed.

Positive Wulfsden On Apr 15, 2009, Wulfsden from Riverdale, NJ (Zone 6a) wrote:

Last year Stinky the groundhog managed to get into my tomato enclosure for one night. The next day found me at the garden store buying flats to replace my losses. I tried to buy 3 husky red cherries, but one of them turned out to be a red grape instead. The husky red cherries turned out to be just about ideal for pot growing. The plant is compact, grows only about 4 feet high, and produces tons and tons of fruit. They taste like standard red tomatoes. I can't say I noticed thick skins on mine. I was so pleased with them that I saved seeds and replanted this year, replacing the Large Red Cherries I normally plant. So far, only 1 of the two I seeded has developed, and I find out now that it is not going to breed true. Wonderful! Sigh! I really wish I had joined this board about six weeks ago!! This is the last time I save seed without checking here first. I wonder what I am growing? Needless to say, I won't be planting this again.

Positive angele On Jun 1, 2008, angele wrote:

I'm growing these for my husband since I am allergic. My one little plant is just loaded with fruit and Kent has already had the pleasure of eating a few. He loves the flavor but says the skin is tough. I'm new at growing tomatoes so I don't know if there is something I can change about watering/feeding to alter the skin toughness.

8/2/08 the plant is still producing a handful of tomatoes each week. Skin was not so tough after the first couple of weeks.

Positive TuttiFrutti On Jul 15, 2005, TuttiFrutti from Spokane Valley, WA (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is a lovely, upright plant with dense foliage. We picked up a single 3.5" tall speciman from the garden center last year, and it grew to 4' in height.

After planting the seedling out in mid May, we harvested approximately 450 fruit between early August and late October for a total weight of about 9 pounds. You really only need one of these plants to satisfy a small family and a dozen friends all season long!

Positive Big_Red On Jun 14, 2005, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Great tasting little tomato, with that tomato 'tang' and just the right amount of sweetness.

Positive Tplant On Apr 23, 2005, Tplant from Pembroke Pines, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Very prolific provider with delicious cherry tomatos. More you pick the more you seem to get. Best part is the fact that the plant only grows to about four feet and all that is needed is one stake for main stem support as it bears so much fruit.

Studio City, California