Crinum, White Powell Lily
Crinum x powellii 'Album'

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Crinum (KRY-num) (Info)
Species: x powellii
Cultivar: Album
Additional cultivar information:(aka Alba)

Bulbs

Sumter, South Carolina

Little Elm, Texas

Livingston, Texas

On Jan 28, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This is one of the hardiest crinums. I've read several believable reports of this being reliably hardy in the ground to Zone 6 in Berrien Springs, MI, and to Zone 5b in Westfield, IN and Platte Co, MO.

I've also read that hardy crinum bulbs need to be at least two inches in diameter before planting if they're to make it through the winter near the northern limit of their hardiness, in this case Z5-6.

Flower stems reach 36-54" with maturity, leaves to 36". I'd suggest planting bulbs 18" apart, as they multiply quickly.

On Jul 11, 2011, dreamgreen from Weaverville, NC wrote:

I adore this plant! I grew it for 15 years in Atlanta GA before moving it and my family to western NC [zone 7a/6b]. It has withstood temperatures of 0 degrees with heavy mulch. It blooms for many weeks starting about mid-June. For me it's not evergreen. Frost kills the foliage. The only pests I've had are slugs but even those aren't to bad. My C. x powellii gets lots of manure and water and blooms heavily with many bloom spikes, each with numerous flowers of the most pristine white. It is lightly shaded in the morning till almost noon.

On Jun 8, 2011, Saltydoc from Silver Spring, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

I was just given this plant at a garden club swap. The donor lives in my area (metro Washington, DC- zone 7a) and has been growing this zone 8 bulb for years! I'll report my experience next spring.

On Dec 24, 2010, donnacreation from Sumter, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

This crinum has graced SC gardens for many generations. It was once found in the yards of slaves as well as aristocrats. Pleasantly fragrant, waxy white (or pale pink) flowers contrast beautifully with long, lustrous, mounding, tropical looking foliage. With their long stems, they make great fresh cut flowers. Bulbs multiply quickly.

On Aug 6, 2010, CherokeeGreg from Fresno, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I had this plant for about 6 years. I set it out were it gets sun.It bloomed this year. I never knew what it was. I like it allot.

On Oct 20, 2009, Kelli from L.A. (Canoga Park), CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Easy to grow, reproduce readily. However, I have to treat them for mealy bugs every year. Mine lose their leaves after blooming but it might be because they are planted in a dry area.

On Mar 21, 2009, eliasastro from Athens
Greece (Zone 10a) wrote:

Very easy to grow, beautiful aromatic flowers.
This winter i didn't have freezing temperatures and Crinums kept their foliage.