PlantFiles: Anchomanes
Anchomanes difformis

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Anchomanes (an-ko-MAY-nees) (Info)
Species: difformis (dif-FOR-mis) (Info)

Bulbs

Thumbnail #6 of Anchomanes difformis by tropicbreeze

Thumbnail #7 of Anchomanes difformis by tropicbreeze

Positive tropicbreeze On Mar 27, 2010, tropicbreeze from noonamah
Australia wrote:

Found some interesting looking seeds clustered typically like an aroid so I collected some and put them in pots. This was late autumn last year. The seeds sprouted and grew through winter looking very much like an Alocasia. By the end of winter the leaves were beginning to split in a strange way, actually looking more like someone had taken to them with scissors. Then the leaf stems developed a motley patching and some small spines. It was on DG that some people suggested it was an Anchomanes. More research revealed it was Anchomanes difformis. Most are still in pots, one in the ground, and others given away. Be interesting to see how they are when mature as I was totally unaware of these until now. They're certainly easy to germinate and grow.

Positive aroidgrower On Mar 13, 2010, aroidgrower from Oakford, Pa.
United States wrote:

This is a very interesting member of the Aroid family. For me it grows to about 3 - 4 feet tall and has dark green shiny leaves similar to members of the Amorphophallus Genera of the same family. It is unique in that it is among the very few Aroid's that has spines on the stems, Pycnospatha being another.

I grow Anchomanes Difformis in a pot and bring it indoors for the winter.

It does wake up when it wants to most of the time like most other Aroid's that have a distinct dry season in their native habitat. This is also a species that has fleshy roots that help it to survive the dry spells along with the main tuber that stores nutrients. It is mid March here now and after removing a little soil today I noticed that it is waking up already when the outside temps are barely in the 60's. I have never taken it outside until the temps are 10 degrees or so higher. I have stored its pot in the basement ( max. temp 62 ) and did not water it at all since September of last year. A typical Aroid, a tuberous variety that goes dormant and then wakes up when it pleases.

I will bring it into the light when the shoots emerge from the surface. They tend to gain height very fast and it will be at least 3 feet tall in about 5 - 6 weeks when I take it outdoors.

semi-shaded to 4 - 7 hours of direct sun have worked well for me with this species.