Spring Starflower 'Wisley Blue'

Ipheion uniflorum

Family: Alliaceae
Genus: Ipheion (IF-ee-on) (Info)
Species: uniflorum (yoo-nee-FLOR-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Wisley Blue

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Provides winter interest

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Clifton, Colorado

Painesville, Ohio

De Leon, Texas

Magna, Utah

Alexandria, Virginia

Seattle, Washington (2 reports)

Vancouver, Washington

On Mar 17, 2013, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I planted a few as I was attracted by the fact Brent & Beckys features this one as one they love. I think Rolf Fiedler is a superior cultivar and better suited in a cultivated garden. Wisley Blue is too pale and blah, even when interplanted with Rolf F. I will not grow any more Wisley Blues and will focus my planting on Rolf F.

On Dec 20, 2012, eatmyplants from Comanche county, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have tons of Spring Starflower. Can anyone tell me any difference between 'Wisley Blue' and 'Rolf Fiedler'? I can see no difference at all in any images anywhere. If there's any difference, it must be so subtle that it would take a DNA test to point it out. One stand of these flowers can produce subtle shade variations but that can be said for many other flowers and plants.

On Apr 13, 2010, Gardmawm from Alexandria, VA wrote:

This plant is tough -- when construction workers dug up a bed up and threw the dirt on the lawn, the flowers just bloomed there the next years. It's gradually spreading across the lawn, looking lovely. I put bulbs as an "edge" in the boxes edging my garden but they've basically taken over the boxes so I'll have to do some drastic thinning this fall. One bulb rapidly multiplies into a clump of about 10.

On Apr 10, 2009, Zone6aPA from Central, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Naturalizes very well. Flower color is more of a pale lavender than blue. Blooms in spring with tulips. I planted these for the scent of the flowers, which is a pungent violet aroma; a small bouquet can fill a whole room with fragrance. Like many flowers, these are only fragrant with direct sunlight and warm temperatures.

On Mar 27, 2007, bmuller from Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7a) wrote:

Ipheion naturalizes easily, blooms early, and continues blooming for over a month in my area. Foliage emerges very early (November) and smells like onions when crushed. Very nice as an edging in front of taller bulbs.

On Oct 14, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

All the Ipheions and their related subspecies are native to South America (southern Brazil, Chili, and Uruguay) and are called Spring Starflowers. They are great naturalizing bulbs for Texas and the southern United States--but in Texas they should not be confused with either the Prairie Celestial Lily (Nemastylus geminiflora) or the Prairie Nymph (Herbertia lahue). These two species are both native to Texas and quite frankly very different with very obvious flower and bulb morphology differences from the Ipheions.

Ipheion 'Wisley Blue' and other related Ipheon species bloom earlier in the season in my garden and have happily naturalized in areas with good drainage for 20 years. I love the Ipheions for their very early spring blooms!

I don't find the variety ... read more