PlantFiles: Mealy Cup Sage, Duelberg Sage
Salvia farinacea 'Henry Duelberg'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Salvia (SAL-vee-uh) (Info)
Species: farinacea (far-ih-NAH-kee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Henry Duelberg

» View all varieties of Salvias

Dark Blue

This plant is resistant to deer

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Thumbnail #1 of Salvia farinacea by htop

Thumbnail #2 of Salvia farinacea by htop

Thumbnail #3 of Salvia farinacea by htop

By linzoid83
Thumbnail #4 of Salvia farinacea by linzoid83

Neutral shortgardener On Nov 14, 2013, shortgardener from Abilene, TX (Zone 7a) wrote:

My Henry Duelberg is leggy and looks like it has mildew. Other than 6" of rain in July, it was a dry spring and summer. When do I cut it back?

Positive KWM_SA On Apr 27, 2010, KWM_SA from San Antonio, TX wrote:

I planted 3 of these in spring 2009 right as we were about to go through a terrible, dry summer. They struggled along and had trouble with what I think was probably powdery mildew. Then we had an unusually cool and rainy fall and winter and they really took off. They are now about 4 feet tall and covered in beautiful spikes of blue-purple flowers. Very eye catching and the bees love them.

I have them growing in dry, partial shade on a western exposure where they get blasted by afternoon sun. I'm hopeful that they've gotten well established enough now to not need too much babying through the summer.

Updated April 2013 -- These guys have proven to be very drought-tolerant in their current location. They reliably bloom for me in March/April and then sometimes will bloom again in the fall if we get good rain. They would probably be better bloomers in more sun and with more water. They die back to the rosette in cold winters and have to be cut back in mild years. Very popular with the bees -- haven't noticed butterflies being all that excited about them.

Positive broncbuster On Nov 8, 2009, broncbuster from Waxahachie, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I planted one of these in the fall of 2007 and in the summer of 2008 it bloomed tremendously. This year, 2009, several seedlings came up and bloomed during the summer. About half of them had blue flowers and the rest had WHITE flowers! I guess the white ones are 'Augusta Duelberg'? Beautiful, easy-care, semi-xeric, semi-evergreen plants. Two thumbs up!

Positive linzoid83 On Sep 3, 2008, linzoid83 from Burleson, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I LOVE this plant! I planted five sparse Henry Duelbergs this spring and they quickly filled in my flower bed, giving it a rustic Texas feel. It attracts bumble bees & butterflies. These plants need little attention; every now & then I use the soaker hose to water them. Plus they don't wither during prolonged exposure to the hot afternoon sun in summer.

Positive htop On May 24, 2008, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I planted 2 small Mealy Cup Sage, Duelberg Sage 'Henry Duelberg' (Salvia farinacea) 2 summers ago and it took them some time to become established. They were a bit spindly until they established their roots. Last year, they branched out widely causing me to have to prune them back away from my other plants. 'Henry Duelberg' came up like gangbusters this spring and are very bushy covering a larger area than I thought that they would and have bloomed nonstop in full sun for most of the day with very little water. This is a great plant that requires little care.

Positive ceejaytown On May 22, 2007, ceejaytown from The Woodlands, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Beautiful, upright, well mannered plant that doesn't flop all over the place like 'Indigo Spires'. I love this plant!

Positive Flowerkid On Apr 16, 2007, Flowerkid from Tyler, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

The "white version" of this plant is called 'Augusta Duelberg,' another Greg Grant discovery. (I assume Augusta was Henry's wife.) I just picked 'Augusta' up at Stephen F. Austin State University (Nacogdoches, TX), and will add it to the PDB as soon as I can get some good photos. Of course, I'll plant "her" next to "him." If you like plants with stories, these are a good pair. As for ease of care, these plants are hard to beat!

Positive TxGrandviewCN On Sep 22, 2005, TxGrandviewCN from Grandview, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Planted the blue variety of Henry in late fall. It started blooming in early spring and has bloomed non stop since then. Hummers and bees love it. Very drought tolerant. Reached a height of 3 feet the first year. This is a winner in Johnson County.

Positive maggiemoo On May 30, 2005, maggiemoo from Conroe, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

As dstartz says, Greg Grant found it in a cemetery - on Henry Duelberg's grave. It was the middle of summer, and everything was dead and brown except for this plant, which just laughs at the heat and drought. I'm still quite new to gardening, especially with sun-lovers, and this one is both easy and rewarding!

Positive dstartz On Apr 26, 2005, dstartz from Deep South Texas, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Texas native. Found by Greg Grant in a small central Texas cemetery. Taller with bluer and more floriferous flowers and larger and greener leaves than modern cultivars. Not preferred by deer.

Deland, Florida
Kingsland, Texas
Liberty Hill, Texas
Lubbock, Texas
Lufkin, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (4 reports)
Snook, Texas