Celandine Poppy, Wood Poppy

Stylophorum diphyllum

Family: Papaveraceae (pa-pav-er-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Stylophorum (sty-loh-FOR-um) (Info)
Species: diphyllum (dy-FIL-um) (Info)

Partial to Full Shade

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Rogers, Arkansas

Durham, Maine

Columbia, Maryland

Cumberland, Maryland

Mount Airy, Maryland

Takoma Park, Maryland (2 reports)

Halifax, Massachusetts

Wallace, West Virginia

Weston, West Virginia

Madison, Wisconsin

On May 25, 2013, plant_it from Valparaiso, IN wrote:

This plant brightens up our woods every spring. It's native to Illinois and Indiana (among other states). Considered uncommon in Illinois, it's found in just a handful of counties. Found in about half the counties in Indiana. "This species is found in high quality woodlands; it is one of the woodland wildflowers that is threatened by the invasion of Alliaria petiolata (Garlic Mustard)."

distribution info: http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=STDI3

On May 28, 2012, bresendes from Marlborough, MA wrote:

I bought this plant about 4 years ago from my local plant society plant sale and it has done wonderfully in my shade garden which is located in the back yard by the tree line. Usually it grows all summer long and flowers throughout the summer, but this year I noticed it dropped its leaves and left just the seed pods. It is only May 28, 2012. I wonder if it is due to the very hot/humid week we are having. Will see if it recovers and begins to grow/flower again this summer. It did bloom very nicely during the beginning of May. We had a mild winter and early Spring this year. The plant has multiplied since I planted it. A few seedlings have sprouted here and there, but not too many. Overall I enjoy this plant. It is very pretty.

On Jul 19, 2011, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Nice flower, but does self-seed a bit too freely. Blooms April-June in my garden.

On Apr 3, 2011, mrsjames2002 from Weston, WV (Zone 6a) wrote:

This glorious plant was growing at my homeplace when my parents bought the house in 1952, the year before I was born. I do know the house was built in 1928. After my mother passed away and the house was to be sold, I dug it up and took it to my house and grew it for 7 more years. When I moved I dug it up again and planted it where I live now. Everytime I see it, I am reminded of my old homeplace and it brings back such good memories. I have had wonderful luck and it has never been a problem. At my homeplace it was in the shade along the side of the house and was watered from the rain coming off our tin roof.

On Jun 30, 2010, AuburnR from Gaithersburg, MD wrote:

I started with one wood poppy in very good soil, partial sun, zone 6-7. It has self-seeded with abandon (a seed pod has many many seeds in it) and I find babies all over the garden. I learned to pinch off the seed heads before they could open, when I have time and can find the seed heads. The plants flower wonderfully in the spring and sporadically later, although I'm going to try deadheading more to see if they will flower more. If they would flower during the July boring season, that would be just super. They are very strong big plants in my yard and have not been touched by our voracious deer, which is a huge plus for me. When transplanted they need lots of water at first but have been hardy afterwards. Mine have never wilted out or gone dormant in the Washington, DC area's heat... read more

On Jun 21, 2010, bloomhardy from Mcminnville, OR wrote:

I planted three plants in a semi-shaded area at least 5 years ago. They are a welcome bright spot in spring and look beautiful. By mid-June the bloom has slowed and the leaves are looking tired, so I cut them back nearly to the ground. They rebound and bloom again, though less prolifically. In the heat of summer they die back and I don't see them again until spring. I have had zero reseeding, which is good, because I don't appreciate garden thugs.
The neutral rating is from the periods of recovery when it is not as attractive, and the mild itching if I allow the sap to get on my bare skin when shearing back.

On Jan 12, 2010, yotedog from Raleigh, NC wrote:

One of my absolute favorite plants over the years. Such a cheerful, happy bloom, with almost no care. Several sources note that it may go dormant during hot, dry weather, but will return in the spring. So don't give up on it! Mine is in dry shade, does not self-seed readily, presumably due to the dryness, but does return and bloom dependably.

On May 29, 2009, EffieH from Amston, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

My husband & I found some of these growing wild and transplanted a few to our yard in Eastern Connecticut about 15 years ago -- we put them under an apple tree near an old stone wall -- over the years they have very gradually filled in the area under the apple tree and are now starting to spread down the yard along the wall -- they are just gorgeous in bloom, and once the flowers are gone they have attractive seed pods and the foilage is very attractive, too. We just love them. They bloom at the same time as a lovely pink azalea that is near them and the yellow and pink colors are just gorgeous. I just missed getting a photo of them in bloom -- I'll see if I can get a good one of the foilage and seed pods.

On Apr 25, 2009, hart from Shenandoah Valley, VA wrote:

What a pretty plant - the bright yellow flowers and light green foliage are gorgeous. It looks like a giant buttercup and right now - late April - it's covered in blooms every day.

This plant is apparently juglone tolerant - it's thriving in fairly dry shade under a black walnut tree in my yard.

On Mar 14, 2009, smallfriar from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

I brought this home to north Texas from a northern Alabama plant sale. I have it in a well-shaded, compost-enriched area, and have really babied it. It survived one Texas summer, and so far, a Texas winter, and has emerged with new growth. Hoping for the best, but knowing it's not in its proper habitat.

On May 14, 2008, enya_34 from Madison, WI wrote:

I have it in dry shade on a slope under oaks. It does very well without any supplemental watering. It does self seeds but does not seem to be invasive.

On May 12, 2008, laurawege from Wayland, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have had this plant growing in m shade garden right next to the foundation of my house and it has thrived for at least 10 years . I never water this garden and give it no special treatment . My sister (oceangirl) gave me a little seedling many years ago . I have passed it along to a few people ( I m kind of particular about who I share "special" plant with ) It's bright yellow flowers are a welcome sight in spring and I am excited to read in the previous comment that you can dead head for more blooms!

On Jun 20, 2007, Lady_fern from Jeffersonville, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

Plant this where you can easily get to it so you can deadhead it. It blooms and blooms if you keep it deadheaded. It is one of the few plants that actually thrives under my pine tree! Very attractive little plant.

On May 5, 2006, Aridov from Des Moines, IA (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have grown this plant in Des Moines, Iowa (zone 5A) on the top of an exposed west-facing slope in the almost-full-shade of a large maple tree. It is interplanted with various hostas. Not only does it thrive, but it is almost invasive. While it self-seeds readily, any unwanted plants are easily pulled up. I've been able to offer starts to many friends as well, so I know it transplants well. It has survived drought, as well as both dry and wet years with minimal watering. Its bold foliage and brilliant yellow flowers provide a great textural contrast for hostas.

On Apr 27, 2004, DiOhio from Corning, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant is a native wildflower of my moist woods here in SE Ohio. I have found it growing in 4 different areas, on rocky slopes or ravine bottoms. Last year I scattered seed in my yard and this year I have at least a hundred new plants. It seems to multiply faster in my yard than it does in the wild. It seems to thrives on all-spring sun but likes dappld shade in the summer. It is a bright addition to the gardens.

On Jul 2, 2003, Toxicodendron from Piedmont, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is a native wildflower in our region, growing on shaded moist slopes. Beware of placing it in flowerbeds; it volunteers from seed prolifically and gets quite large if it is in good soil. I cut off the flowering stems after blooms fade, and the plants send up more flowers as long as I keep them watered.

On Jun 4, 2003, maryv from Columbia, MD wrote:

I live in zone 7 with lots of shade. Planted 2 wood poppies 2 years ago. They have self seeded and this year they looked like blooming bouquets. I have shared them with friends. They do well in shade and with a little sunlight seem to grow more vigorously. Heavy bloom in early spring and intermittently throughout the summer, keeps foilage until frost.

On Feb 3, 2003, Crimson from Clarksville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

It's a pretty flower but not terribly hardy... I have it in a moist area/full shade and it's slowly going down hill. (zone 4)