Plumeria
Plumeria rubra 'Miami Rose'

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Plumeria (ploo-MEER-ee-a) (Info)
Species: rubra (ROO-bruh) (Info)
Cultivar: Miami Rose
Hybridized by Stokes Tropicals
Registered or introduced: 1997
» View all varieties of Plumeria

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

Veined

Leathery-Textured

From hardwood cuttings

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

By grafting

By air layering

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Flowers are good for cutting

Hobe Sound, Florida

Melbourne, Florida

Naples, Florida (2 reports)

Saint James City, Florida

Sarasota, Florida

Tampa, Florida

Thompsons Station, Tennessee

Spring, Texas

Walla Walla, Washington

On Dec 6, 2010, roses39 from Center, TX wrote:

this is a fascinating and rewarding plant. I have had mine for 2 years, but be forewarned, It will freeze. I am in zone 9, and my son is in zone 7..I brought mine in last winter after I realized it would freeze..it did suffer damage but survived. My son had one in zone 7 with 2 trunks and taller than the roof edge..he lost his. It froze and went to mush, so hardy to zones 10 and 11 is inaccurate. The blooms make this a plant worth bringing in every winter. It roots readily so if it needs to be pruned back the cuttings readily root. Mine is now 4 foot tall and should bloom next summer..I can hardly wait. Elaine in Texas

On Feb 22, 2010, lzyjo from Thompsons Station, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I second lopaka's comments. This is THE most prolific plumeria for me. Near continuous blooms in the summer. Had refused to go into dormancy for me. One of the easiest plumerias. The pink blooms are very flashy and rewarding.

On Jun 7, 2009, Florida_Girl from Saint James City, FL wrote:

I purchased my plumeria from a Seffner nursery in the spring of 2001 as a growing plant in a pot. It's a large variety, no doubt, and a fairly fast grower, beautiful scent and lovely flowers. My Miami Rose was labeled as such and on comparing pinks, there are so many that are similar that it could easily be confused with another variety. Be sure to compare your blossoms with the ones here, make sure it's the same, deep rose with yellow center, red stems. This is a great addition to my landscaping and grows great. It comes out later than some of my varieties, but boy when it does, it's beautiful.

On Apr 15, 2009, lopaka from Davie, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

This plumeria may also be the local variety called Lauderdale Lilac in which case is a local tree found in many parts of South Florida.
This plant has been growing in South Florida for more then 50 years so the info about this plumeria being hybridized by Stokes is incorrect!
One of the most prolific plumerias around will bloom all year round in warm areas and will come out of dormancy before any plumeria.
Please see my photo of a huge tree damaged by Hurricane Wilma.
As you will see the size of the tree indicates a tree growing much longer then 1997 when it was supposedly hybridized.

On Sep 16, 2008, BrianShea from Miami Beach, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

This flower has a light fragrance of coconut/suntan lotion, with a floral undertone.