PlantFiles: Variegated Lemon Tree
Citrus limon 'Pink Lemonade'

Family: Rutaceae (roo-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Citrus (SIT-rus) (Info)
Species: limon (LEE-mon) (Info)
Cultivar: Pink Lemonade

Pale Pink

Variegated

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Thumbnail #1 of Citrus limon by Kell

Thumbnail #6 of Citrus limon by thesaguaro

By mgarr
Thumbnail #7 of Citrus limon by mgarr

Negative teamdresco On May 11, 2014, teamdresco from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

I'm so fed up with this variety! I'm on my third 'pink lemonade' tree and they have all been total disasters. I have tried this tree in 3 different locations at two different houses and I'm getting great results from my other citrus trees in the same yard. Tons of kumquats and a whole mess of blood oranges and lemons from another lemon tree. But the pink lemonade tree just looks terrible, most of the leaves have fallen off there is one fruit and a few flowers but mostly just a bunch of bare yellow branches. Any advice??? I love the idea of pink lemons but every time I try to grow this type of tree it's a colossal fail.

Positive crippledr On Nov 15, 2013, crippledr from Fresno, CA wrote:

My variegated Limon Tree is extremely hardy, has been moved 3 times because it certainly is not a dwarf. It is probably 8 feet at present, is in it's 5th year, has tons of blossoms & a moderate amount of fruit growing. I'm wondering if anyone knows what to do about pruning? I'm going to have to move it again and I'm worried to death because I don't want to lose it. I live in Fresno CA and I have found a forever place to move this, in full sun, plenty of water & by itself so all can enjoy it.

Positive Happybooker1 On Aug 21, 2013, Happybooker1 from Magnolia, TX wrote:

Having bought this tree @ Walmart 7-8 years ago, it was tagged as a Meyers. Well obviously it's NOT. I got it as a 2-gal. It was about 5' tall until it froze back completely 3 winters ago when we actually had SNOW in Houston Texas!! I cut the main stem off and re growth came out & now it's about 3.5' or 4' tall. It's still in a pot & I don't give it any special treatment except it gets watered/fertilized when I do the rest of my outdoor plants/hanging baskets. I DO need to put it in the ground but can't decide exactly where. Right now it's got 4 or 5 fruit on it & I don't baby it at all!

Neutral MegsGreenThumb On Jan 30, 2013, MegsGreenThumb from Pine Valley, CA wrote:

I'm in the mountains of East County San Diego, elevation about 4,300 ft. I've had this lemon tree about 9 months now, and it did very well here, despite the extreme heat we had this summer. A little leaf-scorch, but it hung in there!

I brought the lemon tree into the greenhouse at the first sign of frost in mid-October. Since then we've had a nasty, freezing, snowy winter, and it has EXPLODED with blooms! I have groups of flower buds bursting off of every leaf node, and the greenhouse smells like HEAVEN!! Just started seeing the first tiny green fruits, and I can't wait to bite into my first lemon!

With all of the snow we've been having, coming into the greenhouse to water is like walking into a jungle paradise! My boyfriend and I brought in some wrought iron chairs to be able to share a pot of tea and enjoy the winter greenness and intoxicating fragrance. This is also where I study (and work on my laptop) ;).

I love the character this tree has. It's natural growth habit is very pleasing to the eye, and the leaves look as if they've been painted on, using every color and hue of green. The white flowers are gorgeous and highly fragrant, and are brushed with a pretty dusty-rose pink on the underside of the petals. I also dig the wicked-looking thorns.

Remember everyone, you have to hand-pollinate the flowers if this tree is growing inside! If you take bees out of the equasion, then you have to do their job! I had not considered this until about a month ago. Here's a link, if you need to learn how. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrHUaUmBWSM

I'll update as progress continues!

Positive thesaguaro On Oct 9, 2012, thesaguaro from Tucson, AZ wrote:

After the big freeze of 2010/11 here in Tucson, the tree regained it's original bush form. Now after 3 years in the ground it is over 5 feet high and 4 feet across. Abundant, very fragrant blooms and this is the first year I have fruits, A beautiful pink inside (much like a pink grapefruit). See my picture in the database.

Negative muchafun On Jul 23, 2012, muchafun from Benicia, CA wrote:

I have had mine in the ground for over 5 years. It is about 10 feet tall and gets plenty of sunshine. However, it has never bloomed once so I have gotten zero fruit from it. It gets plenty of water and I fertilize it regularly with organic citrus food. Any suggestions???

Positive hoorah On May 26, 2012, hoorah from Tepatitlan de Morelos
Mexico wrote:

Live in Jalisco, Mx. I bought a Varigated Lemon tree in Oct 2011. I tasted the first fruit the other day. It was a very pleasant experience. I squeezed all the juice out and drank it all. Almost a sweet flavor. This fruit came on the tree when I purchased it. Took quite a while to mature but at this point I have 19 more fruit with some almost the same size as the first. Many blooms but alot fell off.

Neutral crawferg On Feb 16, 2012, crawferg from Briny Breezes, FL wrote:

Finally have flowers on my Varigated Lemon tree. The tree's about 10 ft tall and 4 years old. First time I'm expecting fruit from it. I used a Bayer systemic product a little more than a month ago (mixed with water and poured around the base of the tree) to fight off the leaf borers (psyllids sp?). And sprayed it with copper fulgamate (sp?) to fight off canker. And I'm using organicide (won't kill bees) instead of sevin (will kill bees) for fighting off other pests. Citrus in S. Fla is a lot of work. I think the Bayer product is the reason it's finally flowering and hopefully fruiting.
Update: 7/16/12--Have four lemons. Lot of work for four lemons. Hopefully, next year will be better.

Positive SigourneyBeaver On Jul 14, 2010, SigourneyBeaver from Pine Island, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I bought it in January, it's growing like a weed and has got about 20 striped lemons on it. It's now mid-July, and I can't tell when these are are ripe. Any suggestions?
anyway...grows great in SW Florida.

Neutral rbb117 On Jan 8, 2010, rbb117 from West Palm Beach, FL wrote:

I purchased one of these trees from Home Depot, what I think is at least 2 years ago, it is about 10 feet tall and yet no fruit yet?? It is now January. When should it first start to blossum? Is it possible I have a tree that is not going to produce fruit? I bought an orange tree the same time & it hasn't grown much bigger than when I first got it & no fruit either.

Positive Rosedragon On Aug 8, 2009, Rosedragon from Tucson, AZ wrote:

This tree was doing quite well in a pot until it got snowed on - barely survived, but had full foliage within a year and made some fruit the following year. It was thriving, growing like crazy, but became top-heavy so kept blowing over. I reluctantly agreed to put it in the ground, and it lost almost all its leaves. It is in a spot where it is getting summer afternoon sun - NOT recommended. Put lattice around the bottom to protect it more.

Here in Tucson it did best on the east side of the house where it got sun until about 1pm.

The poor thing has been tortured but keeps coming back!
Leaves are great for baking fish on - fragrant even after dried (my new "bay leaf")

Positive gingern On May 4, 2009, gingern from Irvine, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I grow several dwarf citrus trees in large containers and this is, by far, my favorite! It flowers and fruits year round. The new growth is pink which turns to a medium green/light green/cream variagation and is very attractive. The flower buds are also pink and much more fragrant that those of oranges and limes. Most of the fruits are yellow and green striped, although some are completely yellow. The striped fruits begin to loose their stripes when ripe, becoming mostly yellow. The lemon flesh is pink and a little sweet with a hint of mandarin orange taste. Prefers a little afternoon shade in the blazing mid-summer sun and full sun Fall-Spring. This little tree attracts a lot of attention due to it's exotic look -- and the abundant and practical fruit make it a no-brainer for a warm climate or a tiny garden.

Maricopa, Arizona
Queen Creek, Arizona
Tucson, Arizona (2 reports)
Benicia, California