Ladino Clover, White Clover, White Dutch Clover, Black Four Leaf Clover
Trifolium repens 'Dark Dancer'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Trifolium (try-FOH-lee-um) (Info)
Species: repens (REE-penz) (Info)
Cultivar: Dark Dancer
Additional cultivar information:(aka Atropupureum)
Synonym:Trifolium repens var. atropurpureum

Brookhaven, Pennsylvania

Newport News, Virginia

Wild Rose, Wisconsin

On Apr 27, 2014, Olafhenny from Penticton, BC

Although Dark Dancer can be quite invasive, I have the ideal spot for it, an area of 65 sf on the west side of the house, completely surrounded by house, concrete walkways and such, where it served as e beautiful background for pale green hostas.

Unfortunately after thriving for 5 or 6 years it suddenly started to become patchy last year and this year the Dark Dancer has all but disappeared. I am at a loss as to what could have caused its demise. As there is no obvious indication of any disease, I must assume, that it is now lacking some nutrient. What does clover need other than regular fertilizer?
I would welcome any advice

On Oct 20, 2013, nesredna from Belgrade, MT wrote:

Last fall I planted three 5 inch diameter dark dancer clover plants in a moist, part shade spot on the north side of the house. After one season they are each about 18 inches plus in diameter. Being that we have about 75 frost free days a year here, that's an impressive ... and if I'm honest, maybe a bit unnerving... Amount of growth! The rooting stems of the clover were starting to grow into other plants around it and interfere with them, so i removed the stems which was really pretty easy. Also, the flowers were white, not pink as mentioned above. Overall, I'm happy with them and this would be a good ground cover around plants that can hold their own.

On Oct 7, 2013, cellistry from Portland, OR wrote:

It establishes easily and spreads normally like any clover does. I have it growing in a corner by the street and driveway, so when I trimmed it back off the driveway, I used the cuttings to propagate it elsewhere. It's very easy to propagate; just place any 3-4" long cutting on the soil and cover with up to an inch of soil - a week later, you can tell it has established roots and is growing new leaves.

On Apr 1, 2011, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Mine is container grown, partial shade, so I can control its growth. As a groundcover, tolerates moderate foot traffic.

On Feb 5, 2011, bcool5595 from Dover, OH wrote:

In Ohio I have had almost TOO much luck with shamrocks!! They spread like mad but are easy to remove if they become invasive.

My wife brought back a pack of seeds after her trip to Ireland and I simple sprinkled them here and there in the yard and up they came!!

They seem to do best in partial shade

On Jun 5, 2010, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

Rabbits absolutely loves this plant. Survivors tend to clung to nearby plants so they turn out not to be a great edger.

On Jan 8, 2009, Dodsky from Smiths Grove, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I don't have this plant, but do want to try it. The question about it's tendency to spread...

According to Proven Winners tag "Vigorous grower with dark clover-shaped leaves; white summer flowers; can be aggressive" rated zones 4-9.

According to Paghat's website "It can spread as far as it's permitted. It is strongly evergreen here on Puget Sound (Zone 8), but can be grown down to Zone 4 where it will be a die-back perennial. The flowers of the species are white, but 'Dark Dancer' has pinkish flowers in globe-shaped summer racemes."

Sounds like it's a typical oxalis in habit and probably should be in a container if you don't want it to spread. Perhaps people who are growing this plant can let us know how this one does or does not behave. ;-)

On Apr 30, 2008, peacedude from Colorado Springs, CO wrote:

I have two or three of these in my sunny dry front yard. I don't know where they came from, but I wish all their friends and relations would come too. I love the look of it, but to think of it taking over or inhibiting anything else...no way. It seems like the most fragile plant there.

I don't do a lot of watering in the front yard, mostly xeriscaping, and we have snowy winters and hot summers at 6000 feet.

The contrast, as previously noted, is great. A ground cover that I would definitely love to see spread.

On Nov 11, 2007, plantmover from Hampton Roads, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I love this plant for it's contrast qualities but am hesitant to put it in the ground. Has anyone planted this in a bed? I'd like to use it as a ground cover in a contained bed but don't know if it'll allow bulbs and perennials to come up through or if it'll adversely affect the lilac, clematis, and false cypress that are also in that bed. Any info would be greatly appreciated.