Dwarf Rhododendron, Yak Rhododendron 'Ken Janeck'

Rhododendron degronianum subsp. yakushimanum

Family: Ericaceae (er-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rhododendron (roh-do-DEN-dron) (Info)
Species: degronianum subsp. yakushimanum

Lititz, Pennsylvania

Concrete, Washington

Sequim, Washington

On May 14, 2014, Sequoiadendron4 from Lititz, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Hardy little Rhodi for sure. We had temps down to -5 this winter with wind and it's site is somewhat exposed. No burnt out blooms and no brown leaves. It's blooming now and looks great. As the blooms age, it does lose some of that pink edging. New leaves are covered with white fuzz that feels cool. Very compact and only grows a couple inches a year.

On May 12, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

In addition to the beautiful flowers, this rhododendron is one of the few that are suitable for growing in a foundation planting---because growth is slow enough that it won't quickly cover a window.

Like all yak rhodies, the new foliage has a fuzzy brown coating (indumentum) which many find ornamental, though some wonder with alarm if it's a sign of fungal disease.

On May 11, 2014, bobbieberecz from Concrete, WA wrote:

This is an incredibly beautiful rhodie. I inherited it with the house we bought and found it bug-eaten, unwatered in a totally neglected part of the garden. All but 2 side branches were gone. I cleaned out the garden and treated the 2 straggly branches. No new branches have emerged in the 8 years we've been here but the blossoms keep increasing each year. I keep this poor bush because I can't part with those beautiful blooms that resemble a water color painting. I'm on the search this year for another bush that I can give a fighting chance. I admire this plant's will to live.

On May 4, 2007, kizilod from Uxbridge, MA wrote:

Slow grower (about 4" per year). Vivid pink blossoms open as flowers with pink exteriors and white interiors. Eventually, the entire blossom fades to pure white.