Mockorange, Mock Orange
Philadelphus x virginalis

Family: Hydrangeaceae (hy-drain-jee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Philadelphus (fil-uh-DEL-fuss) (Info)
Species: x virginalis
Additional cultivar information:(aka Virginal)

From hardwood cuttings

Crossville, Tennessee

Granbury, Texas

Coupeville, Washington

On Jun 21, 2013, Dean48089 from Warren, MI (Zone 6b) wrote:

Mock oranges are not commonly available in this area, perhaps due to a belief that they are not winter-hardy here (they are). I bought the variety 'Minnesota Snowflake,' the only variety I could find locally, several years ago. Reading that it was suitable for full sun to partial sun, I planted it in a spot where it gets full sun from Noon onward. The Deutzia and Korean lilac growing nearby have never had a problem with this siting. I let the mock orange grow as it wished. Within a few years it was a large bush, albeit a rather boring, nondescript one. I started with a plant in a 5-gallon pot, so it's not like I was waiting for some quart-sized seedling to become something. Five years after planting it was over six feet tall, almost as wide, and FINALLY produced a single flower at t... read more

On Jul 11, 2011, konijntje from Seattle, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Thanks to the Plant Identification Forum on DG, I now know that the shrub by our porch is Philadelphus x virginalis. I can second the comment by the member who noted the value of pruning back....last year, when we moved in and I inherited this mystery plant, it was sickly, anemic and super leggy. I pruned it and fed it and watered it and this year it grew twice as big and with a much fuller shape. Have several branches of blossoms this year, whereas last year only had a couple total blossoms. The leaves are prone to getting gnarly and weird so I appreciate the tip about leaf borers that another member posted. This plant is in full sun/west side of house, in pretty dry (and crummy) soil, yet doing well so far.

On Apr 12, 2010, Annetten from Granbury, TX wrote:

Growing up in Chicago, my father had a beautiful mock orange that never failed to bloom profusely. I planted mine in Granbury Texas 10 years ago. I have tried the superphosphate and we are seeing a few blossoms each year. We do prune right after flowering hoping to see a good display the following year. I don't think we have enough chilling temps here for the display I wish for. The plant looks very healthy and has grown to maturity.

On May 31, 2008, bungalow1056 from Winston-Salem, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Intense, orange like fragrance on a profusely blooming shrub. Cut back back half immediately after bloom to force fresh growth for next year's blossoms if you'd like. My shrub is about 3 years old and stands about 7 feet tall, spraying out gorgeous cascades of snow white blooms that the bees go crazy for.

On May 31, 2008, jengamom from Lakeville, MA wrote:

I also bought this shrub in 2003. I have moved it twice now hoping to find its "happy place" so it will bloom. It may be wishful thing, but I think I might actually have seen some flower buds this year.

On May 30, 2006, RDT from Crossville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

I bought my Mockorange in the Spring of 2003. When I did not get blooms I spoke to a horticulturist. She recommended I place 1 cup of Superphosphate around the shrub in the Spring and Fall. This year is the first time I have seen blooms. Only 4 but at least it is a start.

On May 29, 2006, liz_33103 from Shelton, CT wrote:

Am having same exact problem with my 2
Philadelphus x Virginalis. I have a lewisii that is in full bloom now and one would think the "Double Mock Orange" would be in full bloom as well but not ONE flower! Furthermore it hasn't had one since I planted it 3 years ago. Every year, I say maybe next year and then this...nothing. Is this normal or did I get a bad cross or something?

On Jun 15, 2005, SeedManRob from Ottawa

I bought it 5 years ago and this is the first year it got any blooms, but it was worth the wait they are beautiful.
The leaves are subject to leaf borers, have controlled them
by picking off the infected leaves.