PlantFiles: New Guinea Impatiens
Impatiens x hawkeri 'Super Sonic Magenta'

Family: Balsaminaceae
Genus: Impatiens (im-PAY-shuns) (Info)
Species: x hawkeri (HAWK-er-eye) (Info)
Cultivar: Super Sonic Magenta
Additional cultivar information: (PP13702, aka Fisimp 551)
Hybridized by Hofmann; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2002

Synonym:Impatiens x hawkeri

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Partial to Full Shade

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

Patented

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

By daryl

Thumbnail #5 of Impatiens x hawkeri by Jode

Thumbnail #6 of Impatiens x hawkeri by Jode

Thumbnail #7 of Impatiens x hawkeri by Jode

Positive lalea878 On Aug 10, 2014, lalea878 from Mobile, AL wrote:

I live on the gulfcoast in zone 8B and have good luck with this flower/shrub. I had some 3-4 feet tall in large concrete pots under the eave of my home getting very little sun that flowered profusely until the temperature dropped under 30 for over 5 days which is rare here. Some even came back this year underneath the new plants I put in those same concrete pots! For some reason, NG are not doing well in the same pots this year...and I moved them from the pots to the yard recently. I did find a snail, or some type of slimy bug on one of my NG in the the other night and grabbed it accidently.. ugh!!! Mine are rocking and rolling under a pine tree that gets a couple hours of morning sun after I added 2 inches of compost around base of the tree...they are doing extremely well under an oak tree (without compost but soil is fluffy and a bit sandy under the oak) that gets a few hours sun each day. It seems a few hours of sun is all they can take though, but without any sun, they do not bloom. It is a touchy situation and I do believe our hot humid summers are not helping this year. I have found a couple that looked as if they had melted! If I catch them soon enough, water brings them right back to life though in a matter of an hour! Amazing! I love this plant but have found it can be finicky and too much water or soggy soil is not the answer either. It seems if I put them in a spot they like, they are low maintenence and we live happily together (o:

Positive Caladria On May 7, 2012, Caladria from Greensburg, PA wrote:

This plant really got me started. I won it as a small centerpiece at a friend's shower. I potted it and put it on my porch where it received only a little morning sun. It thrived and grew to about 16 inches in diameter. I had to re-pot it once because it had outgrown its first pot, and it bloomed with bright pink blooms until frost. I tried to bring it indoors but it did terribly and died within a month.

I can't describe how much I loved this plant. It required babying in the form of watering well once a day. If it started to dry out even a little, the leaves and blooms would droop. The first time this happened I panicked, but an hour after I watered it, it was like nothing had happened. It became the centerpiece of my porch and inspired me to grow other flowers. I will definitely be picking up a few of these this spring and look forward to other colors.

Mobile, Alabama