PlantFiles: Polyantha Rose
Rosa 'Marie Daly'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Marie Daly

Resistant to mildew
Resistant to rust
Stems are nearly thornless

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

By sweezel
Thumbnail #1 of Rosa  by sweezel

By sweezel
Thumbnail #2 of Rosa  by sweezel

Positive LawDoggy On May 17, 2006, LawDoggy from San Antonio, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Antique or "Old Garden Roses" are coming back in a big way and after buying and growing a Marie Daly rose, I know why.

I saw it blooming at a garden show and thought, "That's nice." Then, as I walked past, I could smell the fragrance of this rose and I had to have it. Please understand that I had sworn I'd never waste money on another rose bush again. I don't know how many poor hybrid tea roses I've killed in spite of buying the myriad fungicides, insecticides, fertilizers, acidifiers and other tools and applicators that go with rose culture. I didn't think I would ever even try another time.

This is different. It claimed to be virtually problem free and it is. I've had it in a pot on my patio for one year now and it blooms almost constantly with lovely, light pink roses which are fragrant and smell exactly as a rose should smell. I also have jasmines blooming and the fragrance of my patio should be bottled! Almost intoxicating.

Marie Daly overwintered fine in the pot - although last winter was mild. On Valentine's Day, I sheared 1/3 of the foilage (including buds already present), as I was instructed to do. Then fed the rose with Miracle Gro and voila! I have a bloom machine that has not had a single aphid, black spot or powdery mildew attack! Just sit back and enjoy!

I can't say enough good things about this rose and I've added other "Superstars" to my collection of Old Garden Roses (Knockout and Belinda's Dream). I plan to try a rose hedge this summer of these dependable and beautiful shrubs.

Neutral sweezel On May 5, 2005, sweezel from McKinney, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Earthkind Designated Rose by Texas A&M and one of two roses designated a Texas Superstar.

"Developed for Texas, new color of renowned antique rose 'Marie Pavie.' "

Echo, Louisiana