Philodendron x evansii

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Philodendron (fil-oh-DEN-dron) (Info)
Species: x evansii

Partial to Full Shade

Fountain Valley, California

Hayward, California

Los Angeles, California

San Marino, California

Fredericksburg, Texas

On Oct 3, 2005, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

I saw one near by that had 4-5 foot ruffled leaves on a trunk five foot tall (a full sun beauty) and another in Oakland that was close to two stories tall. With leaves a bit smaller than 4 foot. It had more selloum in it.They seem to have a lot of varialbility. A cutting i took from that second one seemed more fussy than plain old selloum,needing more water and slower growing.
Both were cut down over the years. Some non gardeners dont seem to appreciate the boldness.

On Aug 4, 2005, tiareman from Melbourne Beach, FL wrote:

Philodendron x Evansii rules!

To my knowledge this plant is a cross between P. Selloum (tough serrated leaves, self-heading, takes full sun) and P. Giganteum (Round giant leaves)

The result is a philo that gets GIMUNGOUS leaves that are shiny dark green, tough, and much rounder and less serrated than selloum.

This is probably my favorite philo for the yard.. It gives an awesome tropical look!

At first I was told this Evansii couldnt take alot of sun, but I found out eventually that it really can. I would assume that all-day burning sun would bleach it out a bit, but it could possibly take that as well if you gave it enough humidity, water, food, etc.. although I've never tried it. Selloum can take that kind of abuse however, and t... read more

On Jun 16, 2005, silverfluter from Fredericksburg, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have two split leaved philodendrons. One gets no sun at all and grows in a patio water garden. It dies down in winter and comes back full force in spring. The other one is on the south side of the house, but gets shade most of the day from trees. It is in a raised bed that is under the eaves of the house and therefore gets no rain. and since I rarely remember to water that bed, it is very dry most of the time. They both seem supremely happy.