Butterfly Leaf
Christia obcordata 'Stripe'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Christia
Species: obcordata (ob-kor-DAY-ta) (Info)
Cultivar: Stripe

Wauchula, Florida

Westlake, Louisiana

negative

On Aug 9, 2015, cattleya53 from Saint Petersburg, FL wrote:

I love this plant. It was given to me as a birthday gift and I thought it would be very fragile but has turned out to be quite vigorous. Thought I lost it during the first two winters but it came back 2-3 times the size. I have it in a pot so I can move it if it is going to freeze. It got down to 33 degrees last winter and that didn't phase it. It will loose most of it leaves though. If I had it up north I would keep it outdoors in the warmer months and inside during frost and freeze. I keep mine in mostly shade. It does get some morning sun. They like to stay pretty moist but not in standing water. And don't like to dry out. Mine is now about 4' tall and as wide in a 5-7 gallon pot.

On Jul 19, 2007, F7711 from Westlake, LA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I disagree with the Sun requirements listed for this plant, I have been growing it in full sun for around 7 hours a day and bright indirect light the rest of the day. It is growing quite well. I really like this plant, it's very beautiful and fast growing also.

On Oct 25, 2006, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have just purchased one of these unusual plants and it did not come with any cultural information, only the botanical name. It certainly is unusual. I thought it was artificial when I first saw it. I hope someone will come up with some information for us.

This edit is 11 months later. The original plant sat for a long time, then started growing like mad in spring when I offered more water and regular feeding. I have rooted 6 cuttings so far and it is still growing with vigor. No sign of a bloom, however.

Update on October 27, 2007

The original plant is blooming. What a surprise. The blooms are tiny and bi-colored. I guess that means it is happy. Just rooted more cuttings. I'll try to get a picture.

On Oct 9, 2006, Buttoneer from Carlisle, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I am trying to raise this plant for the second time. Every time I get one, the leaves get spotty & dry out & the plant loses its leaves & eventually succumbs. I have tried growing it in the house, in terrariums (high humidity), and now I have both of them in the greenhouse & they are not happy campers. I would hate to lose them. It is certainly very picky & a challenging, yet quite beautiful plant.