Butterfly Leaf
Christia obcordata 'Stripe'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Christia
Species: obcordata (ob-kor-DAY-ta) (Info)
Cultivar: Stripe

Wauchula, Florida

Westlake, Louisiana

negative

On Jul 19, 2007, F7711 from Westlake, LA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I disagree with the Sun requirements listed for this plant, I have been growing it in full sun for around 7 hours a day and bright indirect light the rest of the day. It is growing quite well. I really like this plant, it's very beautiful and fast growing also.

On Oct 25, 2006, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have just purchased one of these unusual plants and it did not come with any cultural information, only the botanical name. It certainly is unusual. I thought it was artificial when I first saw it. I hope someone will come up with some information for us.

This edit is 11 months later. The original plant sat for a long time, then started growing like mad in spring when I offered more water and regular feeding. I have rooted 6 cuttings so far and it is still growing with vigor. No sign of a bloom, however.

Update on October 27, 2007

The original plant is blooming. What a surprise. The blooms are tiny and bi-colored. I guess that means it is happy. Just rooted more cuttings. I'll try to get a picture.

On Oct 9, 2006, Buttoneer from Carlisle, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I am trying to raise this plant for the second time. Every time I get one, the leaves get spotty & dry out & the plant loses its leaves & eventually succumbs. I have tried growing it in the house, in terrariums (high humidity), and now I have both of them in the greenhouse & they are not happy campers. I would hate to lose them. It is certainly very picky & a challenging, yet quite beautiful plant.