Hybrid Tea Rose, Florists Rose
Rosa 'New Day'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: New Day
Additional cultivar information:(PP3228, aka KORgold, Mabella)
Hybridized by Kordes

Susceptible to black spot

Susceptible to mildew

Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Tujunga, California

Hampton, Illinois

Church Point, Louisiana

Westlake, Louisiana

El Paso, Texas (2 reports)

North Bend, Washington

On Mar 1, 2015, DaylilySLP from Dearborn Heights, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

(Arlene Francis Roselandia)

On Apr 26, 2014, Oatmotor from Cedar Rapids, IA (Zone 5b) wrote:

NOT a 5a zoner, unless you take some serious protective measures. Had mine covered with about 6" oak leaves and lost this winter in Cedar Rapids, Ia. Was a very tough winter and lesson learned. Probably buy another one and snuggle it up against a south wall somewhere and hope for more "Global Warming" lol.

On Nov 29, 2013, MurrayTX from El Paso, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I planted 2 in late spring in an area that had been lawn and was still near lawn. The roses struggled with the intense desert heat of the summer and my learning how to water (soaker hoses and wood mulch are a must), but are now doing very well in our autumn. No diseases or pests so far. The blooms are abundant and only showed damage during the hottest months. I expect most of the heat-related issues that I have had to be minimal next year, considering the bushes will be established. They are doing fine in my alkaline, sandy soil with hard and salty water. No pesticides or herbicides used.

On Dec 30, 2012, warbird from Saint Augustine Shores, FL wrote:

Just bought this rose and will have to add an update after I have had time to evaluate it

On Dec 21, 2012, mystichrome from Santa Ana, CA wrote:

The New Day rose is the very first rose I ever purchased since I began gardening in 2011. Not knowing if I even had enough of a green thumb for growing roses, I took a leap of faith and decided why not. Plus, it was the end of the growing season, and Lowes had a bunch of 1.5gal roses on sale. I was instantly drawn to New Days bright yellow, fragrant blooms. The plant seemed to sit there just saying, Buy me. Buy me. Buy me. Please. So, being cautious as a new gardener at the time, I only bought one.

Living here in Southern California (in zone 10a), our winters are super mild with the occasional 80F day. I had purchased my New Day rose a couple days before Christmas and didnt get around to planting it right away. Finally, after the hectic holidays ended and the extended ... read more

On May 5, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 3228 has expired

On May 16, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This rose gets a bit of black spot in zone 5. It's a nice rose for cutting, with long straight stems. The blooms last in a vase well.