PlantFiles: Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'New Day'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: New Day
Additional cultivar information: (PP3228, aka Mabella, KORgold)
Hybridized by Kordes; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1972

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Class:

Susceptible to black spot
Susceptible to mildew
Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

By Patrick86
Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by Patrick86

By mystichrome
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by mystichrome

Neutral Oatmotor On Apr 26, 2014, Oatmotor from Cedar Rapids, IA (Zone 5b) wrote:

NOT a 5a zoner, unless you take some serious protective measures. Had mine covered with about 6" oak leaves and lost this winter in Cedar Rapids, Ia. Was a very tough winter and lesson learned. Probably buy another one and snuggle it up against a south wall somewhere and hope for more "Global Warming" lol.

Positive MurrayTX On Nov 29, 2013, MurrayTX from El Paso, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I planted 2 in late spring in an area that had been lawn and was still near lawn. The roses struggled with the intense desert heat of the summer and my learning how to water (soaker hoses and wood mulch are a must), but are now doing very well in our autumn. No diseases or pests so far. The blooms are abundant and only showed damage during the hottest months. I expect most of the heat-related issues that I have had to be minimal next year, considering the bushes will be established. They are doing fine in my alkaline, sandy soil with hard and salty water. No pesticides or herbicides used.

Neutral warbird On Dec 30, 2012, warbird from Saint Augustine Shores, FL wrote:

Just bought this rose and will have to add an update after I have had time to evaluate it

Positive mystichrome On Dec 21, 2012, mystichrome from Santa Ana, CA wrote:

The New Day rose is the very first rose I ever purchased since I began gardening in 2011. Not knowing if I even had enough of a green thumb for growing roses, I took a leap of faith and decided why not. Plus, it was the end of the growing season, and Lowes had a bunch of 1.5gal roses on sale. I was instantly drawn to New Days bright yellow, fragrant blooms. The plant seemed to sit there just saying, Buy me. Buy me. Buy me. Please. So, being cautious as a new gardener at the time, I only bought one.

Living here in Southern California (in zone 10a), our winters are super mild with the occasional 80F day. I had purchased my New Day rose a couple days before Christmas and didnt get around to planting it right away. Finally, after the hectic holidays ended and the extended family went back home, I planted my New Day on January 1, 2012, a warm 80F day.

Reflecting back on the year that my New Day has been in the ground, it has been a complete success! This rose blooms non-stop, literally. Even during our unprecedented hot summer of 2012 (with temps in excess of 100F for days at a time) when all my other roses went dormant, New Day continued to pump out beautiful, fragrant blooms without any loss of color, size, form, or fragrance. Some of my other roses started dropping leaves in the intense heat, but not New Day. I continued to give New Day and my other roses the same amount of water and rose food throughout the year. My New Day rose hasnt suffered from black spot or mildew, possibly because of its airy, central location in my backyard next to a frequently used birdbath. Even my small feathered friends seem to enjoy sitting on New Days branches, as it quickly grew to about 2 feet tall by summer.

Now, after having experienced my New Day rose for nearly one full year, I can honestly say that this rose is one of the toughest and hardiest out there. If I had known a year ago that I have quite a knack for growing roses, I wouldve bought more than one. New Days performance during our hot summer convinced me to try to find another one, but unfortunately Lowes, Home Depot, Orchard, Wal-Mart, and other nurseries did not carry New Day in 2012 for some reason. Oh well. Regardless if I find another New Day in the coming season, at least I still have one fine specimen in my garden. New Day will always have a special place in my garden as it was my first attempt at growing a rose.

I full-heartedly recommend New Day for any beginner, as its not as picky and finicky as some other roses. New Day seems to reward the novice gardener by showing a level of patience, as well as producing beautiful cut flowers all year. It is now December, and my New Day rose is getting ready to bloom once again!

Neutral Joan On May 5, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 3228 has expired
Neutral Gindee77 On May 16, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This rose gets a bit of black spot in zone 5. It's a nice rose for cutting, with long straight stems. The blooms last in a vase well.

Sun City West, Arizona
Santa Ana, California
Tujunga, California
Hampton, Illinois
Church Point, Louisiana
Westlake, Louisiana
El Paso, Texas (2 reports)
North Bend, Washington