PlantFiles: Wandflower, Gaura Hybrid, Appleblossom Grass
Gaura 'Karalee Petite Pink'

Family: Onagraceae (on-uh-GRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Gaura (GOW-ra) (Info)
Cultivar: Karalee Petite Pink
Additional cultivar information: (Karalee series)

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Blue-Green
Burgundy

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By sweezel
Thumbnail #1 of Gaura  by sweezel

By Equilibrium
Thumbnail #2 of Gaura  by Equilibrium

By KatG
Thumbnail #3 of Gaura  by KatG

By turektaylor
Thumbnail #4 of Gaura  by turektaylor

Positive BloomingFlower On Jul 2, 2008, BloomingFlower from West Palm Beach, FL wrote:

Initially, when I planted this in my garden, it seemed as if it was dieing even though it had been perfectly healthy when I purchased it. A month later, it had revived and is still blooming prolifically. I believe that it is sensitive to transplanting because it has a tap root and just needed some time to recover after I first planted it. I would recommend waiting to cut of stems that appear dead because it may surprise you with new growth.

Negative CarloInTX On Apr 26, 2008, CarloInTX from Denton, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Purchased from a large home improvement store. It was blooming, and healthy when I got it, but after a few months, it withered and died and never came back. It is possible that the site I placed it in had too little light (brief midday sun only).

Neutral latelybloomin77 On Apr 18, 2008, latelybloomin77 from Kilgore, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I've had this now for about 2-3 wks. I've had to cut at least 2 full stems off, due to death. Now I notice on leaves, little brown round specks. What is happening, I do not know. Can it be cured? Other than that, I love it's burgundy stems & pink flowers. And I'd like to keep it around if possible!

Positive lissyrae On Jul 27, 2007, lissyrae from Old Hickory, TN wrote:

This little plant has thrived despite our summer-long drought, and my repeatedly forgetting to water it. The flowers are pretty, but I love it for its beautiful deep maroon new growth. It's responded well to deadheading by immediately putting out even more lovely new growth (although perhaps this has somewhat slowed down flowering?) Flowering or not, it's an absolutely lovely, tough little gem!

Positive genho On Apr 16, 2007, genho from San Antonio, TX wrote:

I planted 3- 4inch pots in the san antonio clay in early march, by april they were 2 feet high and covered with blooms- the hummingbirds love them

Positive fwfw1 On Apr 10, 2007, fwfw1 from Orange Beach, AL wrote:

This is an excellent choice for saltwater locations. My plants are located less than 5 feet away from the shoreline. It tolerates strong wind as well. It has proven to be an excellent perineal for our location and I would recommend it for others that live in such a demanding environment - or less demanding as the case may be.

Positive RKChesnutt On Aug 12, 2006, RKChesnutt from Arvada, CO wrote:

I live in Arvada, CO and have this in a pot on my deck. It is such a wispy plant that many times it's blooms look like magenta butterflies fliting about.

One thing I did find out is that your DO NOT DEAD HEAD this plant. As the old booms die the stems just keep adding blooms to the end, and after the stems come out in spring it doesn't like adding new ones. Some of my flowers are now fliting on stems about 3 feet long!

Orange Beach, Alabama
Baird, Texas
Beaumont, Texas
Brownsville, Texas
Kilgore, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)
Wichita Falls, Texas