Peanut Butter Tree

Bunchosia argentea

Family: Malpighiaceae
Genus: Bunchosia (bun-CHOS-ee-a) (Info)
Species: argentea (ar-JEN-tee-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Malpighia argentea

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Pale Yellow

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Farmington, Connecticut

Brandon, Florida

Fort Myers, Florida

Mulberry, Florida

Sarasota, Florida (2 reports)

Tallahassee, Florida

Venice, Florida

Clover, South Carolina

Rock Hill, South Carolina

La Porte, Texas

Longview, Washington

Raymond, Washington

On Nov 15, 2014, Guitbox from Fort Myers, FL wrote:

I love this tree! Growing nicely after almost a year. Flowered a bit once, with a few fruits (very yummy), then a much larger flowering resulting in many more fruits which are almost ripe. I couldn't get any of the seeds to germinate. From what I've read, that's typical.

On Apr 12, 2013, TheORKINMan from Tallahassee, FL wrote:

Received directly from someone in Costa Rica. Seeds sprouted en route. Seeds grow well in my area 9b. Trees are currently 1.5 years old.

On Oct 24, 2012, Karenarj from Sarasota, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

The seeds do not store.

On Oct 15, 2007, sharscornr from Portland, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

I am adding this note for clarification. I live in Portland, Oregon where we have "Peanut Butter Trees". I know because I have one. However, it is NOT the same as this tree. The tree I am referring to is called Japanese Clerodendrum, Peanut Butter Shrub, Harlequin Glory Bower
Clerodendrum trichotomum. The difference is that when you rub a leaf between your fingers, it smells of peanut butter...the tree is not tropical...the flowers are white or pink clusters...and the berries are dark red, almost black. I hope this helps others who are looking for information on the other "Peanut Butter Tree."

On Nov 25, 2006, tmccullo from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Just bought our tree from River's End Nursery in Los Fresnos, Texas. We tasted the fruit and could not believe that it tasted just like peanut butter. They sell nothing but grafted trees so ours shoudl start producing fruit within a year. The fruit is about the size of a grape so the tree does nto have to be ver large. It apparently is native to Central and South America but should take Houston weather as long as we protect it from frost. This should be a great addition to our tropical garden.