Canada Lily, Meadow Lily
Lilium canadense

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lilium (LIL-ee-um) (Info)
Species: canadense (ka-na-DEN-see) (Info)

Division:

9 - Species

Flower Habit:

(c) Down-facing

Orange

Flower Shape:

Trumpet

Bloom Size:

3" to 6" (76 mm to 150 mm)

Color Pattern:

Spotted

By dividing the bulb's scales

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Litchfield, Maine

Tidioute, Pennsylvania

Dickson, Tennessee

Richmond, Vermont

On Jun 25, 2012, ally101 from Broadalbin, NY wrote:

I just found 2 canada lillies, I would love to have them in my garden. Hoping someone can tell me the best way to accomplish this.

On May 3, 2012, mansgnome from Mansfield, OH wrote:

I have orange growing. I got those bulbs from Hortico in Canada. I just ordered red from Edelweiss perennials in Oregon....hopefully they are in stock and I will get them, not sure when they would bloom to share seeds. I am just starting some seeds for yellow. Georgia Vines is selling red seed. Keep an eye on Gardens North in Canada in case they offer seed again, I have some growing that I got from them.

On Jun 3, 2010, dmith7777 from East Brookfield, MA wrote:

I found a small patch of about 10 spread out single specimens in Brookfield Massachusetts along a river bank growing in sandy soil and took home a very small root stock and planted it. the first year a single stock grew about 36 inches and bloomed, three years later i have a patch of approx. 20 stalks in a tight patch with the tallest stalks reaching over 7 feet tall !!! as far as all the books tell they max out at 5 foot so either they really like where i planted them or it is a new taller variety ? As far as i know they are a wild flower and only come in shades from light orange to almost red. the ones I have are a very vibrant pumpkin yellow/orange. This fall I will have seeds to trade for some Turks cap lily seeds

On Jul 24, 2009, chuckandjulie from Waldoboro, ME wrote:

We have two wild, bright yellow Canada lilies growing in separate, semi-shaded areas of our yard. They are gorgeous and we just identified them with our wildflower book. They have come up every year for the past 5 years we've lived here. I'd be interested in propagating them; also, would like to try my hand at the other two colors.

On Aug 24, 2005, zarcanat from Montreal, QC (Zone 4b) wrote:

Here it grows in the wild and hummers like them!

On Jan 20, 2005, JodyC from Palmyra, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

American Indians used root tea for stomach ailments,irregular menses,dysentary,rheumatism:root poultice for snakebites

On Aug 27, 2002, Baa wrote:

A species lily from Eastern North America.

Has lance shaped, mid green leaves borne in whorls on upright stems. Bears yellow, slightly scented, trumpet shaped flowers with recurved petal tips and spotted with deep red/maroon.

Flowers June-September

Loves a moist but well-drained neutral to acid soil in full sun or light shade but may tolerate slightly alkaline soil in a situation where it is happy.