Giant Solomon's Seal, Great Solomon's Seal
Polygonatum commutatum

Family: Asparagaceae
Genus: Polygonatum (po-lig-oh-NAY-tum) (Info)
Species: commutatum (kom-yoo-TAH-tum) (Info)
Synonym:Polygonatum biflorum var. commutatum

Partial to Full Shade

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Redding, Iowa

Leesburg, Virginia

Lexington, Virginia

Clarkston, Washington

On Jan 25, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This perennial does well where hostas do well. Like a hosta, it's a tough easy plant that will tolerate dry shade, but it performs best in soil that's moist but well drained.

All the stems arch the same way. The tall arching stems and the regularly alternating leaves give a clump an architectural quality that can help unify a woodland garden if the plant is repeated through the space.

This grows from a thick branched rhizome to form a slowly increasing clump. Its growth is in no way weedlike, and the rhizomes stay within a few inches of the surface. I've grown this in many gardens and have never had any difficulty digging it out. Most easily propagated by division of the rhizome in autumn.

There are several different forms differing in size. Siz... read more

On May 18, 2012, laurel1949 from surrey, bc

I bought a home with lots of shade gardens. Solomon seal is lovely, but it is taking over the whole garden and is hard to dig out. I am having a hard time trying to thin it out. I live in Vancouver, B.C.

On Apr 16, 2012, FlyPoison from Rock Hill, SC (Zone 7a) wrote:

One of many wonderful native woodland plants that grow in the piedmont/mountains of the SE. I have several growing in my hardwood/mixed forest preserve and they seem to especially like growing near hardwoods. A very durable and drought resistant plant. I try to add a few more every year. The birds really dig the black berries they produce.

On May 24, 2011, Erutuon from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

My grandma has a bunch of these in the shady areas of her yard, and she considers them weeds. I liked the cuteness and elegance of the young specimens, so I planted a few right up next to our Siberian elm. They have stayed small for several years, but now are reaching half-size, so I'm going to have to move them. They are said to be edible when they are sprouting, like asparagus. I tasted one, and it was like sprouts.

On May 27, 2005, Toxicodendron from Piedmont, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

In spite of the species denotion "biflorum", this plant can have from 2 to 10 blooms hanging from the leaf axils. The larger the plant, the more flowers it produces (in my experience). Oddly, the plants in more open, sunny locations are often smaller. The big ones are in deep shade, usually smothered under poison ivy. My big ones average 5 blooms per axil. These are identified as P. canaliculatum in my Missouri Wildflowers book, but evidently, a person by the name of J. T. Kartesz lumped three previously distinct species ( Polygonatum canaliculatum, P. commutatum, and P. biflorum) into one category in 1994 (as P. biflorum). I am posting my pictures here, as a separate species, since I think there are considerable differences between the giant and the regular biflorum (which we also have... read more