PlantFiles: Floribunda Rose
Rosa 'Tuscan Sun'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Tuscan Sun
Additional cultivar information: (PP17083, aka JACthain)
Hybridized by Zary; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2002

Class:
Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

Apricot and apricot blend (ab)
Orange and orange blend (ob)

Bloom Shape:

Bush

Patented

Other Details:

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by zone5girl

By tiffanya
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by tiffanya

Positive michaeladenner On Oct 4, 2007, michaeladenner from Deland, FL wrote:

i agree completely with many of the comments. it's a very striking rose that blooms freely for me here in zone 9. the buds and early blooms re a really fascinating, metallic color; yes, it fades very quickly, and i am not totally happy with the copper buds backed by pale-pink blooms, but there's a certain charm to it, too. it's very disease resistant (and we have plenty of diseases here in FLA!). i bought mine on fortuniana stock, in quart pots. they bloomed not more than a month after i transplanted. tight, compact growth on mine, but i'm sure they'll eventually get huge. maybe not my favorite rose in the garden, but one of my favorites.

Positive HiDesertGirl On Jun 27, 2007, HiDesertGirl from Reno, NV wrote:

I have grown to love this rose. I love the bright orange flowers against the backdrop of my green lawn. At first, I was disappointed that the orange faded to progressively lighter pink but after a season, I found l liked the variation on a single bush. I usually deadhead before the bloom gets too "blowsy" and the bloom fades to almost white. I have 10 of these bushes; five in two separate beds each. They are watered and fertilized regularly and receive full day of sun (from dawn to dusk). They wintered nicely in zone 6b where this year was particularly harsh. We had no snow cover (not unusual) but we had a warm early spring followed by a cold, snowy April. Most of my plants, including the roses, started to bud then were frozen. I only lost one of these shrub; the others just came back and started again once the weather warmed up. I heavily mulched them for the winter.

Positive venu209 On Oct 4, 2006, venu209 from Jersey Shore, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have found Tuscan Sun to be an easy care rose. It blooms freely spring, summer and fall. I agree with others that it would be a bonus if the bloom finished truer to it's original color. For this reason I harvest the blooms for an indoor vase. The regrowth and budding up is so quick that it merits the harvest.

Neutral seawatch888 On Sep 6, 2006, seawatch888 from San Diego-ScrippsR, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Planted in 2005, one exquisite bloom. This spring had a few more blooms which did fade fast. The surprise was a sport perhaps--a pale pink and white striped bloom. I do need to transplant this rose as it is too crowded in the garden. I purchased it at Anderson's nursery in San Diego.

Positive sarsun On Feb 20, 2006, sarsun from Hampton, AR wrote:

I ordered my plant from Jackson and Perkins and it is a floribunda. I love the color and like the change that takes place. I have it planted in my flower bed on Main Street and we get lots of compliments. I like the cottage look and the color change works well with this more relaxed style. It is great for cut flowers and with its reblooming, there are enough roses to go around. I will be adding a few more additional plants to my garden because it does so well. At least this particular plant is doing well. We'll see how additional roses perform.

Positive figaro52 On Sep 22, 2005, figaro52 from Oak Lawn, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I planted a bareroot of Tuscan Sun at the end of June. This rose took off quickly and has been in continuous bloom all summer. I agree with 1251casey in that the beautiful orange colored blossoms fade too quickly into a pale pink. However, the vigorous growth and quantity of blossoms more than make up for this shortfall! A great floribunda!

Positive 1251casey On Jul 26, 2005, 1251casey from Lake Villa, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love the shape of the plant and the mass blooms. The only thing I don't care for is the fading color that happens TOO fast. It's lovely 'sunset' color fades to a pink that, in my opinion, clashes with the vivid new blooms. What makes this plant worth while is the new growth. I heavily trim the blooms as they fade and am rewarded with such lovely new growth. It is a deep red which compliments the mature green leaves and branches. It has a great shape and fills out nicely.

Positive Moonglow On May 24, 2005, Moonglow from Corte Madera, CA wrote:

Received plant bareroot (mid) March 2005. Doing very well in a pot, though will most likely do better in a bigger container or planted on the ground.

Lush dark green foliage. The bush is well-branched.

Tempe, Arizona