PlantFiles: Chinese Knotweed, Fo-ti
Fallopia multiflora

Family: Polygonaceae
Genus: Fallopia (fal-OH-pee-uh) (Info)
Species: multiflora (mul-tih-FLOR-uh) (Info)

Synonym:Polygonum multiflorum

By lynna
Thumbnail #4 of Fallopia multiflora by lynna

By Dean_W
Thumbnail #5 of Fallopia multiflora by Dean_W

Negative weeding On Apr 24, 2014, weeding from Peachtree City, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant is as invasive as ivy or Kudzu. It will take over your yard.

Neutral irmie On Nov 14, 2013, irmie from Mississauga

Can I grow this plant in Ontario, Canada. If not, can I grow it indoors?

Neutral 8banger On Oct 12, 2013, 8banger from Rockport, TX wrote:

I found a large patch of this growing on a property I bought in Rockport Texas. It was killing several trees so I dug it up. (most of it) Some of them, most of them, as large as pumpkins. I took 800 lbs of tubers to the dump, but saved several football sized tubers and potted them. They broke out the pot trying to escape. The vines and roots have a long lasting onion+garlic smell. There are at least two more plants in the ground I could not get to because of tree roots. Angel Rose B & B.

Neutral Kalpavriksha On Jun 16, 2010, Kalpavriksha from Sarasota, FL wrote:

I'm saying Neutral giving this plants historical use as a TCM plant. Saying that Kudzu is also one! I'd really like to know which would outgrow the other.
This guy roots anywhere it touches. Pull it up and the root pieces stay in the ground to resprout.
At one friend's house it launched itself across the backyard on all three sides only then to invade the front yard.
Irrigate ONLY to get this established and then none unless you want your property smothered.
Some books on TCM say roots can grow the size of a baby and can fetch thousands of dollars.

Negative ivieee On Feb 8, 2008, ivieee from Austin, TX wrote:

I'd recommend growing it only in pots or hanging baskets. It has become invasive in my Zone 8 (Texas) yard. Pretty, though.

Positive lynna On May 8, 2006, lynna from Columbus, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

So far I love this plant and realize that I will need to train it onto the frame of the shade house so that it won't wind up an unwanted groundcover (see photo). Fo Ti has done well in west central Georgia. Evergreen and tripled in size (in one year) since rescuing it from under the tables at the (plant) nursery where I work. It was quite pitiful when I got it!

Positive Ruisert On Dec 27, 2005, Ruisert from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

From my research, this should not be called Fo-ti. The Holistic Herbal Directory, by Penelope Ody, also calls this Fleeceflower.
I purchased a 1 gallon container of this last summer and it has seemed to do well on my shaded patio until we had a 15 degree low a little while ago. All the leaves show freeze damage even though the plant went through the winter last year without any problems, even at temps in the low 20's. I'm hoping it will recover, but I'm not sure it will. The herb lady I got it from told me it grows on mountain tops in China, so I assumed it was very cold hardy.
Have had spider mites infest it, but it seems to withstand them fairly well with only slight damage to leaves.
Seems to be very heat tolerant, but does not like full Texas sun. I sprayed it to remove the mites and left it out in the yard for a few hours to dry and had several leaves sun damaged.

Neutral JeanLouis On Feb 22, 2003, JeanLouis wrote:

Grown in large containers, plants will yield woody tubers, in two years, which contain possibly very valuable antioxidents. But be warned, this plant will climb tall trees even as it spreads in all directions. Will it grow fast enough in the south to smother Kudzu?

Positive Davis On Jun 6, 2002, Davis from Davis, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've got it growing in a light shade area and it is thriving in the heat here in Davis, CA. It is definitely a fast grower. Very beautiful leaves.

Neutral mystic On Mar 24, 2002, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is a deciduous woody, fast growing vine that can grow from 6 to 30 ft.It has red stems when young,and light green heart shaped leaves 4 inches long.It has small white flowers that have a pink tint.Followed by a 3 winged-fruit that are dark blue when ripe.This has a very extensive root system with tuberous rhizomes it can quickly take over your herb garden.(Grow on a trellis or give it something to climb on.)Does well in sun to part shade in a moist,well drained soil.Needs to be protected from prolonged frost and freezing temperatures,mulch well in the winter in the colder climates.The parts that are used are the roots(he- shou-wu ,fo-ti)and the stems(shou-wou-teng).

Neutral herbin On Aug 14, 2001, herbin from Park Hill, OK (Zone 5b) wrote:

A climbing vine, with a huge, perennial root. Used as a sexual tonic for men and to help build blood. Tonic, laxative, antispasmodic, antibacterial used in China to treat dizziness tetanus, cramps, prematurely gray hair, and to increase mental clarity. Roots are used to restore blood, liver and kidneys.

Davis, California