Double Early Tulip
Tulipa 'Monte Carlo'

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tulipa (TOO-li-pa) (Info)
Cultivar: Monte Carlo

Belfield, North Dakota

, Ontario

Spokane, Washington

On May 28, 2011, Bazuhi from Downers Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

It's 2011 but I have to say I love these tulips! I planted them way back in the fall of 2000 after ordering them from Brecks and I still have some coming up, of course not as many anymore but they are still around. This year I have ordered from BloomingBulb.com for fall planting 50 bulbs to plant along with the 50 Monte Carlo Tulips I also ordered..another fav of mine. I really like this tulip it is just so colorfull and pops out at you when you see them planted in groups together...

On May 2, 2008, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

An absolutely beautiful Tulip. So many people have commented on it, not even recognizing it as a Tulip to begin with. Blooms in April in my garden.

On Apr 28, 2006, wallaby1 from Lincoln
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

I planted 5 bulbs a few years ago, some returned for a couple of years and most of them eventually disappeared. I have had one or two that made a little foliage, now one has returned after possibly replenishing the bulb, or having grown another one to maturity.

The flower is large, bright and stands out like a beacon. It has a very strong honey scent with a touch of beeswax. It is also long lived. Rather than be disappointed that the others did not return, I am delighted that one did. It stands alone and needs nothing to enhance its beauty, it makes me smile. Delightful!