Spiral Ginger

Costus pulverulentus

Family: Costaceae
Genus: Costus (KOS-tus) (Info)
Species: pulverulentus (pul-ver-oo-LEN-tus) (Info)

Grow outdoors year-round

Deridder, Louisiana

Saint Helena Island, South Carolina

Galveston, Texas

On Sep 7, 2012, fuzzytufts from Folkston, GA wrote:

I received my plant from a friend 2 years ago and this year I found its likes and it bloomed 3 foot stems with 4 to 6 inch long pods. Mine has small white crepe type blooms that open each day and die tomorrow but the Deep Magenta Purple of the flower base is beautiful and it has been in bloom since Middle of June One stalk now has stopped blooming and is full of seeds and I sure wish I knew how to try to grow them. The bottom of the plant is in a pot but hidden with another plant but the blooms sought the sun and love it.

On Jul 28, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I grew spiral pinecone ginger for almost 9 years in my yard in St. Petersburg, Florida, zone 9b. This is a quite stunning looking plant, even when not in bloom. They had bright orange small "pinecones" and smooth, glossy leaves. They grew in a mostly sunny spot along with dwarf Brazilian bananas, which grew to 15 feet, papayas and various colored cannas, so this was a very tropical looking bed. Everything but the papayas survinved an early March, 18 F degree freeze one winter.

This bed was mulched very heavily with chipped up compost given away free by the city, and after years of adding this mulch the dirt in this bed was a deep black color instead of a white sand. I can't remember when my pinecones bloomed, but they bloomed pretty profusely, and the plants grew to abo... read more