Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'Rio Samba'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Rio Samba
Additional cultivar information:(PP8361, aka JACrite, Rio Samba)
Hybridized by Warriner

Patent expired

Other Details:

Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Kingsland, Texas

Santa Fe, Texas

Olympia, Washington

On May 19, 2014, Flowerpower2014 from Boyce, LA wrote:

This is an absolutely beautiful rose. I love how you can have so many different colors on the the same plant. It's very prolific too. I've had times when it didn't have any blooms but I haven't had any times when it didn't have new growth or buds on it. I seriously have like 25 buds coming up. I've had it in the ground since March and it's just outdoing itself. If I had to make a complaint though it would be that I think the buds suffer in the heat. I mean they aren't nearly as big or as beautiful as they were in the spring (Louisiana's version of spring). Every since it's gotten hot they are less glamorous but still a beautiful rose. Definitely recommend. Oh and it hasn't had the first brown dead leaf or black spot on it either.

On May 29, 2013, Citro from Eden, MD wrote:

Of my 90 or so roses, this is my rock star. This is the rose that everyone talks about when they visit my garden.

On Jan 31, 2013, 80s_child from Hayward, CA wrote:

I bought couple of these rose as barefoot from HD last year, one in front my house one in back, but WOW.. What the wonderful rainbow colors, really light up the garden, just beautiful rose bush, only think wish blooms was much BIGGER, but is real beautiful vivid sunset colors, make sure planted it in sunny area, loves the sunshine & heat, then less in getting diseases!
ONLY Thing about it is VERY Susceptible to Powdery Mildew,Needs a lots spraying

On Dec 31, 2010, tgwWhale from Casco, WI wrote:

This is a wonderful rose. It is extremely floriferous, the rebloom is fast, and the colors are wonderful. I have had three; the first one had more fragrant blooms than the other two.

This is a wonderful rose EXCEPT I cannot keep one through the ugly NE Wisconsin (zone 5) winters, even by burying it in ground. The first one I had lasted about three years. I liked it so much that when it succumbed to a winter, I got another. That one also died, and I got a third. When that one froze out, I gave up.

I rate this rose as neutral because it would be one of my all-time favorite roses if I could only keep one alive. I would guess that in a warmer climate, it would be wonderful.

On May 31, 2010, skayc1 from Fairview, NC wrote:

I just got this plant today, and am going to keep it in a container. I'm loving it so far, it does change colors as the bloom opens! I'm hearing all kinds of good stuff about this rose!

On Apr 30, 2009, GreeneLady from Oak Island, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

Without a doubt, I can say that Rio Samba is one of my favorite roses. It changes color everyday, and even when fully opened each flower will last at least 9 days. The petals are thick and waxy making it a perfect cut flower. My blossoms are 4" across on the average, but I've seen a 7 year old bush that is nearly 6 feet tall with blossoms nearly 6 inches wide.
The scent is unique - a lemony vanilla smell. Not overpowering but enough so that you can smell it three feet away.

As with nearly any rose, I've had some minor problems with black spot, and for some reason the caterpillars LOVE chewing on the leaves. I've switched to Bayer 3 in 1 Systemic instead of Bayer 2 in 1 and Sulpur sprays. Hopefully we'll see an improvement over blackspot this year.
... read more

On Oct 22, 2008, nativesrgreat from Mendenhall, MS wrote:

Beautiful - fun to grow. I get nothing but raves on how beautiful they are from neighbors (one dropped off a watermelon to show their appreciation) and strangers that just stop on the edge of the road to look at them. Even the wildlife love them. I had a mockingbird nest in one last year, and the adult and baby lizards help control bad bugs. I have about a half dozen of these with other varieties mixed in, but these are the show stoppers and mainstay. Mine are older now, and I am in a very humid southern climate. I have some minor troubles with blackspot and aphids, but they are treatable. These were my first roses and I am an amatuer gardener.

On Jun 22, 2008, marsue from Isabella, MO (Zone 6b) wrote:

This rose is my most prolific bloomer. It is constantly surprising me with the different-colored blooms--I never know whether they will be orange-yellow or orange-red. I have only had it for a few months but so far it has been disease-free. It is fast becoming my favorite rose!

On Apr 16, 2008, sthwnd from Green Cove Springs, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

My Rio was just planted a year ago, from J & P bare root, own root stock. What a difference a year has made! She has gone from a spindly stick to a chest high to me, (I am 5 ft 2) masterpiece! She is the pride of my garden with high marks for disease resistance, as well as heat, drought, & cold resistance here between Jacksonville & St. Augustine, FL. I do nothing but water once in a while, weed & dead head. I do not spray or use any sort of bug repellents, & it still flourishes. I fell in love with it from the photo in the catalog, & I am more in love now!

On Apr 30, 2006, RocketCity from Owens Cross Roads, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

In my humid and somewhat fickle southern climate, Rio Samba is a SHOWSTOPPER! I have had some success with other roses here but Rio is so far the healthiest,most consistant rose to date. I found it loves morning sun (7-2pm) best. Now it is 4yrs old,6x6,120+buds,with no hint of disease.When people ask what do I do to make Rio Samba so healthy, I really only know it likes it's spot!

On Apr 17, 2006, dukester65 from Aiken, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have a Rio that I planted in 1995.The plant blooms profusely all season and seems to get better every year.The fragrance is unbelievable and the color changes as the blooms open from yellow to coral.There really have been no disease problems either.This is one great rose.

On Jun 3, 2005, trucap from Quincy, IL wrote:

This rose has proven beautiful in every stage, from first bud to falling petals. It changes colors from yellow tinged with scarlet at the beginning, to a cream with pink edges toward the end of the bloom life.
I am growing this in a container and have had no problems so far, but just got it this year (May 2005). I watered it every day when first planted, and now am falling back to every other day.
Light fragrance, lovely to behold!

On Aug 20, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bred and introduced in the United States. Won the All-America Rose Selection in 1993, the Hybrid Tea Spray in 1997, the Court of Show Honor in 1999, and the King of Show in 2000.

Parentage:
Seed: Seedling
Pollen: Sunbright

On Mar 9, 2004, ctowles from Panama City, FL wrote:

I live in the Florida Panhandle and this rose has bloomed continuously all year. So far from March 2003- March 2004. It hasn't slowed down even a fraction. It has continued to grow even through some of the worst cold spells in the area.

On Dec 31, 2003, Colorado_Roseman from Loveland, CO (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a wonderful rose with blooms that change color as they open up. Her fragrance is very pleasing to the nose. She is extremely hardy here in Colorado. No real disease problems.

On Aug 15, 2001, JSS from Cordova, MD wrote:

Flaming yellow petals splashed with orange-red.
Pointed buds