PlantFiles: Peacock Ginger
Kaempferia roscoeana

Family: Zingiberaceae
Genus: Kaempferia (kaymp-FER-ee-a) (Info)
Species: roscoeana

By sunkissed
Thumbnail #3 of Kaempferia roscoeana by sunkissed

By sunkissed
Thumbnail #4 of Kaempferia roscoeana by sunkissed

Positive sunkissed On Jan 26, 2011, sunkissed from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have great success with this plant here in Central FL zone 9B. I have three in outdoor pots and one in the ground, all was started from some bulbs my father gave me well over five years ago. I don't dig the bulbs up, just leave them where they are and every spring they come back fuller than the season prior. I start new plants by digging the bulbs up and moving them to a new spot. They do well in shade or filtered sun, full sun burns the leaves. The more sunlight they get the more blooms they give. They expire once nighttime temperatures start dipping into the forties.

Positive DanKistner On Jun 19, 2009, DanKistner from Winter Haven, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I found this growing in a corner at my father's house. I dug up the tubers and planted them in 1 gallon pots at my house. They are multiplying and growing like crazy! Beautiful Foliage. Very easy to care for. I have them resting under my oak tree and they love it.

Positive DawnRain On Jun 8, 2005, DawnRain from Bartow, FL wrote:

I have no idea just how this plant came to my garden. I noticed it in a pot one day and really liked it. It has appeared in a couple of other pots since. I haven't planted it for fear of losing it. Maybe I will keep one to enjoy in a pot and put the other two in the ground to increase, I hope.

Positive JaxFlaGardener On Jun 7, 2005, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have successfully grown this ground cover ginger for the past 2 years in borderline Zone 8b/9a, with winter temperatures below freezing at times. I use a mulch of a few inches of hay for winter protection. In this climate, it disappears completely below ground after a winter freeze and doesn't emerge again until mid-May. It begings to flower immediately and continues to flower until winter. It hasn't spread prolifically, probably due to the winter die back, but it adds a nice touch of light violet blue with flat flowers about 1.25 inch wide beneath my taller ginger plants.

Positive artcons On Jun 6, 2005, artcons from Fort Lauderdale, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Great short plant for shady area's. Mine is growing at the base of a Sable palm in total shade. Here in zone 10 the plants do well in sandy soil. In zone 10 the plant dies back in November then comes back in mid March. It can easily be spread by dividing rhizomes and spreading then covering with soil. In the spring they will grow up as though they have been there forever. I have given plants away to people that have great success growing them indoors. The velvety green/bronze leaves are almost iridescent above and a purplish/red underneath with a distinct hairy feel. They bloom continuiously from late March through mid October in zone 10.

Bradley, Florida