Banana
Musa 'Gran Nain'

Family: Musaceae
Genus: Musa (MEW-suh) (Info)
Cultivar: Gran Nain

Richmond Hill, Georgia

Harlingen, Texas

positive

On Mar 22, 2015, okvideogal from Palm Harbor, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

(Zone: northern 10a) I purchased a large plant from our local nursery in early summer. I used a lot of composted manure when planting and the plant had huge, beautiful green leaves throughout the summer through early winter. In late September I was amazed to find banana blossoms with little bananas forming!

There are some negatives, though. If they are not shielded from the wind, the huge leaves will shred. Also, during the winter, the temps got down to 36 degrees at night on two occasions, causing the banana leaves to get brown on the tips and edges (though new leaves are fine.) Browned leaves can be removed but not until new good leaves have opened. Once the banana tree fruits, it dies and looks quite ugly until it is cut down.

This is NOT a low main... read more

On Jun 12, 2005, jessmerritt from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Dwarf banana that has the best of both worlds. It has beautiful ornamental foliage and produces edible fruit. It only grows about 8-10 feet tall and is suitable for pot culture. I have mine in a pot and it summers outdoors and comes inside for the winter. Takes lots of water and is a heavy feeder. The main plant will produce fruit and then die, but leave behind pups for next year's crop. The fruit is seedless. I didn't know this until I tried to collect some, couldn't find any, and then researched it online.