Impatiens arguta

Family: Balsaminaceae
Genus: Impatiens (im-PAY-shuns) (Info)
Species: arguta (ar-GOO-tuh) (Info)

Partial to Full Shade

Sparks, Nevada

Tuckahoe, New York

Greenville, South Carolina

On May 24, 2008, Susan_C from Alameda, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Impatiens arguta is hardy in this climate and looks very nice rambling around and through other plants. Even though the flowers on Impatiens namchabarwensis are that to die for true-blue, I actually prefer I. arguta. -It has a nicer habit, prettier foliage, larger flowers and is a more vigorous grower. The bluish flowers can be enjoyed both from a distance and from up close, where you can appreciate their intricate details.

It is extremely easy to start from cuttings. I started mine by sticking a cutting directly in the ground in a shady, evenly moist part of the garden, and it never skipped a beat.

On Nov 26, 2006, congminglaoshi from Tuckahoe, NY wrote:

Tuckahoe, NY 10707

Impatiens arguta grows readily for me in a large 12 inch plastic pot, I overwinter it in my classroom. Haven't tried it outside during winter,so don't know about winter hardiness. It grows about a foot high and trails somewhat, making a good container plant in partial shade. It does not like summer heat, blooming best in September when temps begin to drop. Flowers are pale amethyst in color, pretty form. Easily propagated from cuttings. I have never got seed on it, even though I have self pollinated it a few times.

On May 29, 2006, nevadagdn from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

I can't speak to hardiness throughout Zone 7, but Impatiens arguta survived a winter low of 14 degrees, as measured by my recording thermometer in that area of the garden. It's not the most spectacular plant, but I think ANY perennial Impatiens that will grow in my area is way cool. It is, at the very least, pretty.