Cistus, Rock Rose, Rockrose
Cistus 'Grayswood Pink'

Family: Cistaceae
Genus: Cistus (SIS-tus) (Info)
Cultivar: Grayswood Pink
Additional cultivar information:(aka Barnsley Pink, Chelsea Pink)

Alpines and Rock Gardens

Spring Valley, California

Coburg, Oregon

On Jul 6, 2015, gardenmarywon from Coburg, OR wrote:

I love my Grayswood Pink rock rose, but I have a question. The bloom only lasts for one day and then it dies. Is that normal?

On Jun 18, 2005, gabriell from Tyler, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I bought two of these plants for a dollar each at the end of season.Kept them in garage during winter,watering a few times.When spring came I set them outside and they showed real potential.I planted them against a fence in a new bed.They have grown and are blooming their hearts out with the most beautifulpink flowers.I had never heard of this plant but was able to find it in a gardening reference book.It is a beautiful little plant.I would like to have more.

On Jun 17, 2005, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

Low growing shrub with a prostrate habit. Very hardy also..it has survived our winter with temps down to -15 C...Blooming very early it is one of the first flowering. C. 'Greyswood Pink' is often incorrectly sold as C. parviflorus. 'Barnsley Pink' and 'Chelsea Pink' are synonyms or possibly seedlings from 'Grayswood Pink'.
C. Grayswood Pink has some tollerance to mildly alkaline soil.

Update: Winter 2008/2009 we had a harsh winter with temps that stayed down to -22 C (-7.6 F) for several weeks. It has survived this period without blinking and it has stayed perfectly wintergreen. Now (early May) it is covered with buds again. In my garden I have one mature shrub and a young shrub that I've planted out in august 2008. This one also has survived this period without blink... read more