Hardy Bamboo

Fargesia rufa

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Fargesia (far-GHEE-zee-uh) (Info)
Species: rufa (ROO-fuh) (Info)

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

Mountlake Terrace, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

On May 2, 2013, Lodewijkp from Zwolle
Netherlands (Zone 7a) wrote:

I grow it indoors, this one does not need a resting period like most people think it need - it needs a bit colder temps in winter but 15 C / 18 C is sufficient. When grown indoors it needs partial shade - give it a few hours of sunlight ( 3 or 4 ) a day but never put it in direct scorching sunlight - avoid midday sun.

i grow alot of plants indoors so my air humidity is good, but this bamboo seems to tolerate indoor dry air better than other bamboo species. It does need alot of water - don't let it stand in a tray with filled with water but do water it daily or once every day or 2 if you can. if it is too dry it will curl it's leaves but they don't fall off as quick unlike other bamboos- they still recover, Can take more cold than most people think , probably around -20 C bu... read more

On May 30, 2010, canadianplant from thunder bay
Canada (Zone 4b) wrote:

Planted June 09. ITs in an area that gets full sun in the winter and early spring, then as the sun gets hotter, the hedge ( Siberian PeaShrub) gives it dappled or ( open ) shade. ITs protected from the north winds by a fence. IT only put out 2 fall culms, and was subjected to about -10C before i buried it fully under leaves, and 2 layers of plastic.

I uncovered it in early March, it came out a bit wet, but FULLY green and foliated, with the loss of only one leaf.

I posted a pic, and you can see all the new culms it shot , just within this week.

This has givin me the bamboo bug, and I ordered a few more species ( pseudosasa, and Phyllostachys) this year, and will always be looking fer more Fargesia Rufa, and any other from this genera.
... read more

On Mar 29, 2010, mcgerm from Galesburg, MI wrote:

It made it through its third Michigan winter.

It has more winter burn than last year on some leaves, but otherwise no other damage than a few clums chopped off by the snow blower. The killed leaves were shed in the spring (2011) and were replaced with new green growth from the existing cane.

This thing really took off last summer. This spring (2011) I chopped it into 4 massive chunks I gave two away, and replanted the other two in locations where they will have better room to grow.

On May 9, 2006, cngodles from Leechburg, PA (Zone 5b) wrote:

Just obtained this on May 7th, 2006. Pictures coming soon.

On Jun 19, 2005, ocimum_nate from American Fork, UT (Zone 5a) wrote:

I just got this bamboo, it is a clump forming bamboo that is tolerant of wind. The stems are to .5 inches in diameter. Hope to get a picture up soon.