Floribunda, Grandiflora, Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'Queen Elizabeth'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Queen Elizabeth
Additional cultivar information:(PP1259, aka Queen of England, The Queen Elizabeth Rose)
Hybridized by Lammerts
Registered or introduced: 1954

Class:

Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

Hybrid Tea

Medium pink (mp)

Bloom Shape:

Double

Flower Fragrance:

Slightly Fragrant

Habit:

Bush

Can be trained as a standard or tree form

Patent expired

Other Details:

Susceptible to black spot

Susceptible to mildew

Prone to die-back

Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Brookfield, Wisconsin

negative

On Oct 8, 2013, madaboutplants from edinburgh
United Kingdom wrote:

We had a neighbour who grew this rose as a hedge. She told me she was able to get it flowering from top to bottom by pruning the stems to various heights. It works well. I have had my rose for many years and it just gets better. I do not grow other bush roses, I only grow climbers and ramblers but this flowers over many months. The foliage is not too susceptible to diseases and the flowers are a clear pink on long stems making it ideal for cutting. I like it so much I bought a second one. It gets morning and late afternoon sun. Is growing in a well drained peaty area near a fence which has clematis growing on it. It is over 10 foot tall and is totally self supporting. I live in Central Scotland in an area fairly open to strong winds from both the east and the west.

On May 14, 2013, SunnyTropicals from Port Charlotte, FL wrote:

This rose is incredible! It is growing happily in the full sun of Port Charlotte Florida. Zone 10B. It gets scorching hot here and this rose never backs down, year after year. It always has the biggest most beautiful blooms ever. Going to buy a few more.

On May 31, 2012, chicagods from Chicago, IL wrote:

My Queen Elizabeth is reaching 11-12 feet - not sure if this is normal or not. It is starting to look like a growing rose tree. From what I've learned by Googling, it doesn't look like I have a climbing variety. How large can I expect this to get?

On Nov 6, 2010, dontruman from Victoria, TX wrote:

I live in Victoria, Texas, 9a, on the central Texas coast. The Queen Elizabeth has been one of the most dependable roses in my yard. (I planted it from a Home Depot pot into my St. Augustine grass lawn, with composted cow manure as a supplement and 2 inches of shredded cedar mulch). It grew rapidly and had beautiful flushes all summer long. The high heat and humidity (90 degrees plus for almost five months) didn't bother it at all. The Queen Elizabeth, Kordes Perfecta, and Tiffany are the best performing hybrids I have. Only the antique roses equal or surpass them.

It's now nearly a year later ( March 2011) and this rose continues to impress me. It has grown into a well formed, stately, high-bred tea and is covered with new, red colored foliage and numerous buds.

On Jul 27, 2009, monniemon from Lansdale, PA wrote:

The queen was one of 15 bareroots i purchased from Walmart this season. I planted her and she did not do well at all for the first couple of months. I was about to give up when 4 others from different plant beds died because of grubbs. I began to believe this was the queens problem. I put down a grubb kill in all plant beds and then milky spores, and gave them a little extra TLC,and it worked. I was about to shovel the queen when I noticed 5 new canes growing from her.

The blooms were beautiful "4 1/2"size cupped,very fragrant flowers. Iam very pleased with Queen Elizabeth's beauty and fragrance. Iam looking forward to a nice season with the queen. Now I have royality in my own back yard!!!

monniemon
lansdale,PA

On Jul 6, 2009, PeeperKeeper from Georgetown, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This rose is absolutely spectacular here in zone 8! I have not had any trouble with black spot, but I think that's because I have it planted in a perfect location. It is in full sun on a slope off the back of our deck in very richly composted, deep soil and it gets an almost constant breeze blowing across it so it never stays wet. Also, I have it mulched and on a drip irrigation system so it gets no overhead watering. I bought it as a bare root from Walmart for about $3 a year and a half ago, and it is now about 5 feet tall, 4 feet wide and its "trunk" is probably 2" in diameter. Just this year it sent up a new cane from the base which is already about 3/4" in diameter and as tall as the rest of the plant! From early Spring through Fall, it blooms almost constantly. It will have a n... read more

On May 28, 2009, SerenaSYH from Overland Park-Kansas City, KS wrote:

the rating for Queen Elizabeth I would split between a big positive for beauty and a big fat negative for scent! It is an absolutely gorgeous rose, but I am one of those who only want fragranced roses... It is a rose that is so pretty in the shade, dappled sun... Glorious delicate blooms, long flower life, dark, beautiful gloss of leaves-- photo perfect in every way... But scent a dismal "failure"... I did not find the Queen Elizabeth to be lanky at all... It is tall but very! well proportioned...foliage is very well balanced in terms of spread...

On Apr 19, 2009, 759lady04 from Lufkin, TX wrote:

Queen Elizabeth is not doing well for me. In four years she has only bloomed one season. I live in East Texas zone 8B. All of my other roses are doing great, just not the Queen. I have given her a chance but, she is on the shovel prune list. She does also have blackspot.

On Apr 11, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 1259 has expired

On Mar 17, 2007, Lily_love from Central, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

My first 'Queen Elizabeth' is pink. It's a standard so I've this overwinter in an unheated makeship - green house. With adequate suplemental lightings (just ordinary flourescent lights), the Queen forgets to go dormant part of winter, and an occossional bonuse blooms indoor.

During the the early spring, Queen Elizabeth will provide abundant repeated blooms throughout the growing seasons. With the ease of cares on this rose, and its spectacular showy, beautiful, big flowers. I've acquired another shrub, this time it's going to be in my perenials garden. Black spots problem with this rose is eased with open - form prunings. Good air-circulation areas. Quite resistant to other common roses diseases.

On Feb 19, 2007, soulgardenlove from Marietta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

On HGTV.com's list of Carefree Roses by Mary C. Weaver:
'Queen Elizabeth': This regal beauty was the first rose introduced in the grandiflora class in 1954. Its large and fragrant medium-pink blooms are cupped, double and loosely informal, and repeat bloom is reliable. 'Queen Elizabeth' is good for cutting, as the stems are long and the blooms fairly long-lasting. The plant is vigorous and upright, with dark-green, leathery, disease-resistant foliage. An easy beginner's rose, 'Queen Elizabeth' has won numerous honors, including the All-America Rose Selections (AARS) designation, Britain's Royal National Rose Society President's International Trophy and World's Favorite Rose. Hardy to Zone 6. Reaches 5 to 7 feet in height and 2 to 3 feet in width.

On Nov 6, 2006, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I bought a QE tree rose at WM. First year I potted it and it started declining, so transplanted in ground and it improved immediately. Flowers are big and beautiful. However, since canes grow upward and very quickly and stiffly, it it hard to keep a pom-pom shaped tree. It seems susceptible to blackspot but not seriously so. I will enjoy this rose as long as it lasts in my garden, but I would not get another QE tree rose as I'm not sure its growth pattern is best suited for that style.

Apr 2011: I removed the tree rose and true to my word, did not get another. But QE rose must be meant to live in our garden. Chamblee Roses sent me 2 in error and I just couldn't resist planting them. Growing them this time as regular shrubs, so far, so good.

On Aug 10, 2005, seedpicker_TX from (Taylor) Plano, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Easy to grow and beautiful blooms. These have very upright stiff canes, so hard to shape over, or around, structures.

On the other hand, the stiff canes make it great for growing up a fence. They grow very tall, so can easily reach the top of an 8, or even 10 ft tall fence. I've had to fasten the canes to the fence for strong winds, but otherwise it just naturally holds itself straight up.

It makes a great tall framework for annual vines to cling to...it also is a nice long stemmed rose for cutting.

...great rose for the right application.
-T

On May 27, 2005, Kelli from L.A. (Canoga Park), CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Does very well here. Gets very tall.

On May 18, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This was one of our first roses and I love it's habit, form and color. It's just a shame it doesn't have much scent. It gets a bit of black spot in my zone 5 garden. It's winter hardy with a little protection.

On Aug 26, 2004, KDePetrillo from North Scituate, RI (Zone 6a) wrote:

A wonderful rose: I had one for about 8 years and it remained healthy and bloomed well, even though I couldn't control the blackspot. A hard, dry winter finally killed it. In the spring, I used to mulch it heavily with aged horse manure, and the plant would spring to life with lots of new buds.

On Aug 26, 2004, soozin from Lowell, MA wrote:

Very easy to grow and nearly indestructible when planted in well prepared soil, even in a northeastern exposure. This would be a great rose for a beginnner, particularly in colder northern climes. After two years on a northeastern wall, this rose grew to 6+ feet and bloomed prolifically. The flowers themselves don't have "perfect" form, but the color, size of the bloom and the plant's overall hardiness more than make up for it. A very sentimental favorite!

On May 26, 2004, paradoxi from Spokane, WA wrote:

I havent had the opportunity to see this plant grow as of yet as it is newly planted, but I am looking forward to seeing the blooms. The plant has greened up and began growing rapidly, and there is the first sight of a bud just now appearing. I am looking forward to a very wonderful plant...and thanks to those who left messages..it helps with the cultivation!

On Jun 27, 2003, dwr_04 wrote:

when i lived in tucson,az i grew this splendid rose. had nothing but a wonderful experience. i found if i bent the runners over on the fence i had twicw the bloomers. the blooms were very large nd such a beautiful coral pink color. never had to put pesticide on it, just prune it once in awhile and enjoy. i now live in or near branson ,mo. and i am looking for another one.

On Dec 26, 2002, Evert from Helsinki
Finland (Zone 4b) wrote:

Pretty pink-flowered rose. Flowers are fairly big, and the plant doesn't grow too tall. Looks nice when growing with lilies.

On Aug 16, 2001, Zanymuse from Scotia, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

The canes on this rose shoot upward at an amazing rate and the dark leathery foliage is glossy and pretty as well. It does tend to black spot in my wet spring but a little spraying and trimming once the weather clears up leaves a clean plant for the remainder of the year once the rains have passed. Too tall for the standard trellis forms it is excellent on arbors or growing over porches and sheds.

The fragrance is mild and sweet and wafts through the air gently caressing the senses.