Perilla
Perilla 'Magellanica'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Perilla (per-IL-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Magellanica

Mount Sterling, Kentucky

Warren, Michigan

Brewster, New York

Knoxville, Tennessee

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Roma, Texas

negative

On Jun 22, 2014, Dean48089 from Warren, MI (Zone 6b) wrote:

This plant, although erroneously called "Perilla," is not actually a Perilla but, like it's 'cousin' Magilla Perilla, is a Coleus hybrid. It was named "Perilla" by the Japanese hybridizers who developed it. They wanted a catchy name and were not interested in the botany. It should NOT be confused with the edible Perilla frutescens which, if not judiciously dead-headed, can become quite weedy and invasive. THEY ARE TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT PLANTS!

Neither Magellanica nor Magilla produce viable seeds, which is not a universal truth among interspecific hybrids but in this case is true.

I like this plant very much. I prefers more sunlight than the more common Coleus cultivars and, in fact, will turn mostly green if put in a spot where it gets little to no sunli... read more

On Apr 1, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I used to be partial to the purple-leaf strain, but after growing it once in pots I found it turned into a persistent annual weed. After more than a decade, I'm still weeding it out of the beds. It's very aggressive and outcompetes many perennials.

A pretty plant, but there are far too many other pretty plants that are less work. I'll never plant this again deliberately in any garden.

Coleus makes an excellent substitute, unless you want to eat it.

This species is highly toxic to many animals, including horses, cattle, goats, rats, mice, and hamsters. It is responsible for fatal livestock poisonings when it invades pasturage.

This plant's invasive behavior has alarmed many organizations concerned with preserving natural areas, inc... read more

On Sep 20, 2009, sylguy from Austin, TX wrote:

I'm confused by prior comments...is perilla toxic or edible? I'm reminded of the late George Carlin's old routine about flammable versus inflammable. His question was, "does it flam, or doesn't it!"
I had almost overwhelming success with it perilla. I was given a 20"x12" coir lined hanging basket that turned into a real project. You can't just plunk this size gizmo just any ole where, so after calm consideration and the purchase of many feet of chain designed to support porch swings, the hubby and I got out our telescoping ladder, propped it up against a tall tree, in affixed the chain to a really strong branch with an "S" hook, with the bottom of the basket about 5" off the ground. The hubby left for an air show and I watched my video. Yes, Virginia, it came with a video. ... read more

On Apr 18, 2008, grovespirit from Sunset Valley, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This gorgeous and very versatile plant is an edible ornamental and is shade tolerant. I grow mine in the shady entryway to my apt. People often compliment me on its beauty. I use the leaves in floral arrangements too.

It may be easily reproduced from cuttings by putting them in water. :)

Its leaves are used in many Asian dishes including sashimi, or as a cilantro substitute in cooking. Its flavor is similar, and cilantro bolts easily in my climate.
This is also an edible garnish. I use it to prettify various dishes including soups and salads.

However, I disagree with "average water needs". I would say that this plant likes more water than average and desires consistently moist soil. It is somewhat resistant to overwatering and will g... read more

On Oct 29, 2006, Joy from Kalama, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Visitor's to my garden always comment on the beauty of this plant.
Perilla roots very easy in just a glass of water. I bought a plant a couple of years ago and take cuttings to grow indoors for the winter. Come spring I put it back outside.

On Jun 23, 2005, Happy_1 from Chicago, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Perilla Magilla does well, so I am hoping that this new one will too....