PlantFiles: Currant Tomato, Wild Tomato, Spoon Tomato
Lycopersicon pimpinellifolium 'White Currant'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: pimpinellifolium (pim-pi-nel-ih-FOH-lee-um) (Info)
Cultivar: White Currant

Thumbnail #5 of Lycopersicon pimpinellifolium by audsrz

By audsrz
Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon pimpinellifolium by audsrz

Positive mommiest On Mar 2, 2013, mommiest from Herndon, VA wrote:

I grew White Currant from Baker Creek seeds in 2010. the location was sunny with plenty of room; the vine was huge and bushy, and very prolific. Friends who tasted these off the vine often said the same thing: "Wow." We could not eat these fast enough, and they were delicious, with an intense, well-balanced flavor. I like them better than either Tess's Land Race Currant or Matt's Wild Cherry for flavor.

Positive SLO_Garden On Jul 21, 2010, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

White Currant is very similar to Matt's Wild Cherry. It is tiny, sweet, very prolific, and the plant has huge, sprawling vines that will take over your entire garden if you let them. However, White Currant has an somewhat of an unusual taste in addition to the sweetness (not unpleasant, just unusual). It makes a good snacking tomato.

Positive mrstedger On Mar 6, 2010, mrstedger from Raleigh, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I decided to grow the white currant after reading Leslie Land's blog recommendation. Purchased a single plant in Waynesville, NC last year.

I planted it in the corner of my garden near the stick verbena & the intersection of two paths… Letting this go to vine rather than cage, it grew to nearly 12 feet in diameter! It quickly became a ferny-esque shrub loaded with tiny yellow flowers & quite beautiful from a distance with delicate foliage.

My husband & daughters constantly grazed all summer thru the fall off this one plant. Plenty prolific with clusters of a dozen or more mini-maters as sweet as they can be! Grown organically with no spot or blight which is amazing considering the tomato trainwreck of 2009! This will replace the yellow pear, which didn't do so well after last year's blight, as our mini tomato- perfect for salads. I will definitely grow this white 'wild' currant again.

Positive Loretta_NJ On Nov 16, 2007, Loretta_NJ from Pequannock, NJ wrote:

My review will be different than any other I've read about this tomato so far. I bought this plant from Cross Country Nursery in NJ and have only grown it one plant, one season. The fruit was the palest yellow, small 1/2" round fruit born on small clusters over the season. It didn't produce a lot at any given time but my conditions aren't prime tomato conditions. However, one plant wouldn't feed a heavy tomato snacker. The plant was about three feet, not huge at all and could easily be grown in a pot.
This was not a sweet tomato for me. The flavor was unique compared to any other tomato I've grown. I would call this a savory tomato with an expensive taste. It was juicy, not at all meally. I really liked it and will be growing it again.

Positive zeldonian On Aug 11, 2005, zeldonian from Haines Falls, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

Tasty, like Matt's Wild Cherry, but sweeter and fuller. For me, at least, they produced a little earlier, about 55 days. The yield is not that high, but not bad in good conditions. The best small-fruited tomato I've grown.

San Luis Obispo, California