Sculpit, Stridolo

Silene inflata

Family: Caryophyllaceae (kar-ree-oh-fil-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Silene (sy-LEE-nee) (Info)
Species: inflata (in-FLAY-tuh) (Info)

Not Applicable

Yucca Valley, California

Boulder, Colorado

Clinton, Connecticut

Island Lake, Illinois

Dover, New Hampshire

Albuquerque, New Mexico

On Aug 7, 2015, ParadiseFarmYuccaVal from Yucca Valley, CA wrote:

I bought seeds of Sculpit from Franchi seeds, just because I had never heard of it. I've found it so mild in flavor that that is the value of it, because some people (and pets) don't want a "green" or noticeable flavor. Chlorophyll is valuable to keep our teeth and gums healthy; so, the value is in its neutrality while still donating greens for oral health and enzymes (if eaten raw).

It is August 7, 2015, 3 years after I planted it and the roots survived our mild winters here at 3300 ft elelvation in the Mojave Hi-Desert with often 7% humidity. I do have raised bed planters with 1/4" hardware cloth and 50% Aluminet shade cloth cover.

Sclupit has value for those who don't want flavor but need to eat their greens; put it raw & minced in Bruschett... read more

On Apr 20, 2012, Oryoki from Boulder, CO wrote:

The first year after planting in the early spring was very disappointing, I wasn't even sure what grew in the row was in fact the Sculpit. And then before it was getting going it went to flower. The second year I cut it back when coming to flower and it had three flowering cycles. Now in the third year it's up strong with vibrant leaves, thick, and lush. One of the plants has budded its flower on 4-20. A sign to cut and bundle for tomorrow's Farmer's Market.

They have the most beautiful flower but I have been rather dissatisfied with the aromatics and flavor on the tongue, all quite bland.

In a Washington Post article worth reading, "...sculpit/stridolo turns out to be bladder campion, a common sight along dusty roadsides anywhere in the United States nor... read more

On May 9, 2010, hillinois from Island Lake, IL wrote:

I agree with bmuller. It's a perennial here in Northern Illinois also. It's May 9 and the Sculpit is over a foot high and blooming. Whether many will find this a welcome addition to their meals I cannot say --- my tastes are rather accepting!

The first year the seed did not sprout at all. The second year almost all the seeds sprouted. I planted both times in spring but the first year might have been too early.

The flower has a tubular (almost spherical) its relative Silene stellata (Starry Campion).

On Jul 29, 2007, bmuller from Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7a) wrote:

I almost rated this plant "neutral"--can't decide how I feel about the taste. But it's an interesting and hardy little annual (?), with an unusual bloom. And it grows well among other plants. I planted mine among bush green beans and spinach beet greens; the green bean plants shade both the sculpit and the greens, and the sculpit helps hold moisture and keep down weeds, thus helping the bean plants, too.

(Added March 18, 2008)
Well--I don't think it's an annual, after all. It returned this year from the roots in late February or early March, during cold weather.

(Added May 10, 2008)
It's now HUGE and in full bloom. Have cooked some of the greens and found them fairly tasty--somewhat similar to spinach in taste, but with more of an "edge." (... read more

On Jun 26, 2005, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

Sculpit (also called Stridolo in Italy) is a green found and used mainly in Italy. It used similar to arugula or cresses or even herbs like tarragon and greens like chicory. It can be used in eggs, salads etc. It's flavor is its own.... hard to describe.... a mix perhaps arugula, tarragon, chicory and other herbs and greens. Easy to grow from seed. Cultivate similarly as you would arugula. Avoid extreme heat and or shade in hotter months.