PlantFiles: Summer Snowflake, Snowbell, Dewdrop
Leucojum aestivum

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Leucojum (LOO-koh-jum) (Info)
Species: aestivum (EE-stiv-um) (Info)

Bulbs

Thumbnail #6 of Leucojum aestivum by CaptMicha

By dmj1218
Thumbnail #7 of Leucojum aestivum by dmj1218

Positive coriaceous On Jan 20, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

An easy and attractive bulb with a highly misleading common name, an heirloom and pass along plant that is widely naturalized throughout the Southeast. This is easily and commonly confused with a different species, the spring snowflake (Leucojum vernum). In the North both bloom in spring, and in the deep South the summer snowflake begins blooming in winter, sometimes as early as mid-December.

Summer snowflakes can have 1-7 flowers per stem and get 12-18" tall. Spring snowflakes have one flower per stem (or in some uncommon varieties, two), and their foliage is generally no more than 6-8" tall. Spring snowflakes are rarely found in North American gardens.

Both species move fairly easily after blooming if they're replanted immediately. Neither bulb likes to dry out, and though summer snowflakes will tolerate the dry storage fall bulb vendors force on them, spring snowflakes will not.

Both species prefer more moisture than most spring bulbs, and tolerate summer irrigation. Summer snowflakes perform well in moist areas like the edges of streams and ponds. They also tolerate deciduous shade.

Of the two, I find the spring snowflake the more useful plant because it blooms about a month earlier, at least here in Zone 6 (Massachusetts), when little else is in bloom. Spring snowflakes also have much less foliage when it's time for them to die down (In June here).

I've read that almost all commercially purchased summer snowflakes today are the cultivar 'Gravetye Giant', whether so labeled or not. This cultivar is larger and more vigorous than the species, and has substantially larger flowers.

Like almost all spring bulbs (with the exception of tulips and crocus), snowflakes are toxic if eaten.

Neutral DawnLH On May 22, 2011, DawnLH from Melbourne
Australia wrote:

I love this bulb and I have had much success with it, I recently transplanted them in the garden. They are starting to shoot which is great but I am really worried are they poisioness to dogs. Should I pull them out and throw them away. Can someone please help me. Because I am in Australia and this is an American site is it the excact same plant, I think it is.

Positive themikeman On Mar 26, 2011, themikeman from Concord, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

These are all over the Southeastern United States as an old fashioned Spring Landscaping plant that was sold along with daffodils, so where you have daffodils blooming, on older propeties in the south, you are probably sure to have these. They actually bloom about a week after the daffodils start to decline in the begginning of mid spring. they are actually a bulb, but part of amaryllis family, not a daffodil family bulb. i like how dark green and healthy the leaves look. The flowers are almost like Lilly of the Valley bells. Very historic Southern spring bulb and plant. mike

Positive marybel On May 2, 2009, marybel from Ridgefield, CT wrote:

I have 5 clumps, that keep getting a little bigger each year, that I inherited when I moved to Ct. They are lovely and bloom just after the daffodils here, but last longer. They are not invasive and do not spread. To keep them neat and upright, I use circles of 2" chicken wire (cut to match when the little spears first appear in the spring), that I pull up a little higher and higher as the plants get taller. I dont know if they are deer resistant because I have a really efficient deer fence. I am glad to know they hate transplanting, so I will leave them alone.

Positive louparris On Apr 28, 2008, louparris from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love this plant. I got mine from my mother who got them from who knows where - probably her mother. My sister lives in my mother's old house and has a great many of these. I am trying to get mine to naturalize and enlarge their growing spot. I don't have much sun, even in the winter (mature pines) so they are in a sunny spot and their ability to expand is limited. My mother always called them snowdrops. I know that's another plant, but that's what she called em.

Positive mjjones On Mar 8, 2008, mjjones from Ball, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have had this bulb blooming in my garden for about 10 years. I can trace this heirloom back to my grandfather's gramdmother's garden. I dug a few bulbs directly from my great-grandmother's garden. She, in turn, got them from her mother. I will pass them to my grandchild this spring.

Positive 68trojans On Feb 23, 2008, 68trojans from Athens, GA wrote:

This plant (or the spring variety?) has grown for years under a pecan tree at the home of my late parents. It is in bloom now and I would like to cut some to add to my daughter's wedding bouquet. The florist has warned me that the sap of some toxic flowers will kill other flowers if they share the same water. Is that the case with this plant? I have read that toxic flowers should be kept in water by themselves and not mixed with other flowers for 12 hours. Has any one had experience with mixing this plant with other cut flowers?
It usually blooms in Athens Ga this time of the year and we have had some unusually cold weather this season, but it is blooming right on schedule

Neutral dicentra63 On Jun 28, 2007, dicentra63 from West Valley City, UT (Zone 6b) wrote:

I planted these in the fall of 2004, and finally in the spring of 2007 I got exactly one little bloom. We'll see if the number improves over time.

Positive CaptMicha On Apr 30, 2007, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

My snowbells do very well in filtered light here in Maryland, growing beneath trees. They flower in early spring.

I've had them for three, maybe four years and they're very well behaved, they don't spread everywhere.

Once the weather turns hot, the leaves usually disappear.

Positive escambiaguy On Apr 29, 2007, escambiaguy from Atmore, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have some that are probably 50 years old. Despite the name, they flower late winter/early spring here on the gulf coast. They grow in deep shade very well and are perfect for a woodland garden. They look nice mixed with daffodils.

Positive omegabook On Mar 15, 2007, omegabook from La Mesa, CA wrote:

The bloom period should be extended. According to the Sunset Western Garden Book, "Common name 'summer snowflake' is misleading--in mild winter areas, plants can bloom during the period from late fall through winter..." It is blooming in March in my Southern California garden.

Positive bluespiral On Mar 5, 2007, bluespiral from (Zone 7a) wrote:

Blooms nicely in the wild among browsing deer, also close to a river in light woods in a local park system.

Positive dmj1218 On Jul 16, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Naturalizes well in Houston, Texas. This plant is a delight in bloom in January. But it has big strappy grasslike foliage that must be allowed to die back naturally. So put it in an area you don't mind something near dead looking in April.

Positive pokerboy On Jan 30, 2005, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

A most beautiful early Spring bulb that produces sprays of white flowers with up to three green dots on each flower. Very tough and hardy this plant is one of my favorite plants. pokerboy.

Positive ladyrowan On Apr 1, 2004, ladyrowan from Garberville, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I planted these little guys in a pot on my deck last fall, and most of them bloomed just fine. I'm looking forward to having them multiply, so that I can plant them beneath the trees beside my driveway. They are a lovely early-spring bulb, with a light fragrance.

Neutral Toxicodendron On Jul 12, 2003, Toxicodendron from Piedmont, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

Lovely little blooms if you fall to your knees to see them. This bulb truly resents being transplanted and will not bloom for several years after being moved, so be patient if you plant it. Mine is in light woodland shade down by the creek.

Atmore, Alabama
Burlington, North Carolina
Charlotte, North Carolina
Concord, North Carolina
Mooresville, North Carolina
Cincinnati, Ohio (2 reports)
Corning, Ohio