Summer Snowflake, Snowbell, Dewdrop
Leucojum aestivum

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Leucojum (LOO-koh-jum) (Info)
Species: aestivum (EE-stiv-um) (Info)

Bulbs

Burlington, North Carolina

Charlotte, North Carolina

Concord, North Carolina

Mooresville, North Carolina

Cincinnati, Ohio (2 reports)

Corning, Ohio

Max Meadows, Virginia

Newport News, Virginia

Bellevue, Washington

On Apr 23, 2015, SJhapamama from San Jose, CA wrote:

I planted my first set of 5 bulbs in March--I had them since last fall, so better late than never! The squirrels got two of the bulbs, but the rest are growing. One plant is currently blooming while the rest are catching up. They look so pretty in my little Japanese garden. They seem to do OK in a partly- to mostly-shaded area under a Japanese maple. If these do well, I might plant some more in the fall.

On Jan 20, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

An easy and attractive bulb with a highly misleading common name, an heirloom and pass along plant that is widely naturalized throughout the Southeast. This is easily and commonly confused with a different species, the spring snowflake (Leucojum vernum). In the North both bloom in spring, and in the deep South the summer snowflake begins blooming in winter, sometimes as early as mid-December.

Summer snowflakes can have 1-7 flowers per stem and get 12-18" tall. Spring snowflakes have one flower per stem (or in some uncommon varieties, two), and their foliage is generally no more than 6-8" tall. Spring snowflakes are rarely found in North American gardens.

Both species move fairly easily after blooming if they're replanted immediately. Neither bulb likes to dry... read more

On May 22, 2011, DawnLH from Melbourne
Australia wrote:

I love this bulb and I have had much success with it, I recently transplanted them in the garden. They are starting to shoot which is great but I am really worried are they poisioness to dogs. Should I pull them out and throw them away. Can someone please help me. Because I am in Australia and this is an American site is it the excact same plant, I think it is.

On Mar 26, 2011, themikeman from Concord, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

These are all over the Southeastern United States as an old fashioned Spring Landscaping plant that was sold along with daffodils, so where you have daffodils blooming, on older propeties in the south, you are probably sure to have these. They actually bloom about a week after the daffodils start to decline in the begginning of mid spring. they are actually a bulb, but part of amaryllis family, not a daffodil family bulb. i like how dark green and healthy the leaves look. The flowers are almost like Lilly of the Valley bells. Very historic Southern spring bulb and plant. mike

On May 2, 2009, marybel from Ridgefield, CT wrote:

I have 5 clumps, that keep getting a little bigger each year, that I inherited when I moved to Ct. They are lovely and bloom just after the daffodils here, but last longer. They are not invasive and do not spread. To keep them neat and upright, I use circles of 2" chicken wire (cut to match when the little spears first appear in the spring), that I pull up a little higher and higher as the plants get taller. I dont know if they are deer resistant because I have a really efficient deer fence. I am glad to know they hate transplanting, so I will leave them alone.

On Apr 28, 2008, louparris from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love this plant. I got mine from my mother who got them from who knows where - probably her mother. My sister lives in my mother's old house and has a great many of these. I am trying to get mine to naturalize and enlarge their growing spot. I don't have much sun, even in the winter (mature pines) so they are in a sunny spot and their ability to expand is limited. My mother always called them snowdrops. I know that's another plant, but that's what she called em.

On Mar 8, 2008, mjjones from Ball, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have had this bulb blooming in my garden for about 10 years. I can trace this heirloom back to my grandfather's gramdmother's garden. I dug a few bulbs directly from my great-grandmother's garden. She, in turn, got them from her mother. I will pass them to my grandchild this spring.

On Feb 23, 2008, 68trojans from Athens, GA wrote:

This plant (or the spring variety?) has grown for years under a pecan tree at the home of my late parents. It is in bloom now and I would like to cut some to add to my daughter's wedding bouquet. The florist has warned me that the sap of some toxic flowers will kill other flowers if they share the same water. Is that the case with this plant? I have read that toxic flowers should be kept in water by themselves and not mixed with other flowers for 12 hours. Has any one had experience with mixing this plant with other cut flowers?
It usually blooms in Athens Ga this time of the year and we have had some unusually cold weather this season, but it is blooming right on schedule

On Jun 28, 2007, dicentra63 from West Valley City, UT (Zone 6b) wrote:

I planted these in the fall of 2004, and finally in the spring of 2007 I got exactly one little bloom. We'll see if the number improves over time.

On Apr 30, 2007, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

My snowbells do very well in filtered light here in Maryland, growing beneath trees. They flower in early spring.

I've had them for three, maybe four years and they're very well behaved, they don't spread everywhere.

Once the weather turns hot, the leaves usually disappear.

On Apr 29, 2007, escambiaguy from Atmore, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have some that are probably 50 years old. Despite the name, they flower late winter/early spring here on the gulf coast. They grow in deep shade very well and are perfect for a woodland garden. They look nice mixed with daffodils.

On Mar 15, 2007, omegabook from La Mesa, CA wrote:

The bloom period should be extended. According to the Sunset Western Garden Book, "Common name 'summer snowflake' is misleading--in mild winter areas, plants can bloom during the period from late fall through winter..." It is blooming in March in my Southern California garden.

On Mar 5, 2007, bluespiral from (Zone 7a) wrote:

Blooms nicely in the wild among browsing deer, also close to a river in light woods in a local park system.

On Jul 16, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Naturalizes well in Houston, Texas. This plant is a delight in bloom in January. But it has big strappy grasslike foliage that must be allowed to die back naturally. So put it in an area you don't mind something near dead looking in April.

On Jan 30, 2005, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

A most beautiful early Spring bulb that produces sprays of white flowers with up to three green dots on each flower. Very tough and hardy this plant is one of my favorite plants. pokerboy.

On Apr 1, 2004, ladyrowan from Garberville, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I planted these little guys in a pot on my deck last fall, and most of them bloomed just fine. I'm looking forward to having them multiply, so that I can plant them beneath the trees beside my driveway. They are a lovely early-spring bulb, with a light fragrance.

On Jul 12, 2003, Toxicodendron from Piedmont, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

Lovely little blooms if you fall to your knees to see them. This bulb truly resents being transplanted and will not bloom for several years after being moved, so be patient if you plant it. Mine is in light woodland shade down by the creek.