Watermelon 'Blacktail Mountain'

Citrullus lanatus

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Citrullus (SIT-ruh-lus) (Info)
Species: lanatus (la-NA-tus) (Info)
Cultivar: Blacktail Mountain

61 to 70 days

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Ferment seeds before storing

Glendale, Arizona

Tucson, Arizona

Mountain View, California

Brainerd, Minnesota

Wilsonville, Oregon

Marysville, Washington

On Sep 24, 2015, WeezyG from Brainerd, MN wrote:

I have tried 3 or 4 times before this to grow watermelons, and this is the first time I've had any success. I almost gave up on these because for the first month or so the vines didn't grow for me at all. But then, they decided to take off and I have 8 volleyball sized (or a bit larger) melons. I picked the first 2 a little too early, but they were still good. Just finished the 3rd one off and it was delicious. There a a couple more out in the garden that I think are ready, and a couple others that might not ripen before it freezes here, but I will definitely give these another try next year. I think I wasn't watering enough in the beginning, will try to do better with that next year.

On Mar 3, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

History: Developed by SSE member Glenn Drowns. He developed it when he lived in northern Idaho, where summer nights average 43 degrees!! SSE says it also does well in hot humid areas.

On Aug 2, 2005, JerseyGardener1 from Deal, NJ wrote:

Blacktail mountain is an extra early watermelon develops in Iowa USA by Glenn Drowns .... called "blacktail" because the seeds have a black marking at one end different from other watermelon seeds thus the "black tail". It is a small to medium sized (8-12 pounds) watermelon with standard pink flesh and dark green soild rind. It is one of the earliest watermelons in existence.... certainly one of the earliest heirlooms it ripens in (about) 70 days.

On Jul 2, 2005, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

Blacktail mountain is an heirloom cultivar from the United States. It is supposed to be a smaller watermelon with good flavor. It is supposed to be early ripening. The name comes from the seeds which have characterisitc black "tails" or bumps on the ends. I am currently growing this variety so will not give rating untill harvest.