PlantFiles: Chinese Peony, Garden Peony
Paeonia lactiflora 'Eden's Perfume'

Family: Paeoniaceae
Genus: Paeonia (pay-OHN-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: lactiflora (lak-tee-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Eden's Perfume

» View all varieties of Peonies

Thumbnail #1 of Paeonia lactiflora by zville123

Thumbnail #2 of Paeonia lactiflora by zville123

Thumbnail #3 of Paeonia lactiflora by zville123

Thumbnail #4 of Paeonia lactiflora by zville123

Positive zville123 On Oct 21, 2005, zville123 from Zanesville, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have just planted this 3 yr. old division (a beautiful specimen from Hallson Gardens). I will update with it's progress. Can't wait to see (and smell) it bloom!

2006 Update: The first spring, this peony had several blooms. This year (it's second spring in the ground here), it has dozens of buds and is approx. 3 ft. high. I'll post more pictures and update again once it blooms....Well, with about half a dozen blooms open, the fragrance is outstanding! We rushed to the front door this morning like kids on Christmas (the full shots of the peony are taken from the bottom of our front porch) and were treated to open blossoms and a heavenly fragrance. Our neighbors, who sit on their front porch in the evening, even commented on the smell! If Hallson Gardens sells more of these, we'll definitely be buying.

2009 Update: This peony is now twice the size of the pictures I previously posted. It is the one plant that neighbors always comment on for it's beauty & fragrance. I don't understand why this isn't more readily available.

I know there are garden supply stores who carry this peony. I guess you'll have to do a search to find it. Can't verify how reputable they are except for Hallson Gardens, if they still carry it. This year I cut a bunch and sent them my husband's grandma at her nursing home. I guess they were a hit with all the residents who made special trips to see and smell them. They said they reminded them of the peonies they use to grow in their gardens.

Arroyo Grande, California