Floribunda Rose
Rosa 'Black Cherry'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Black Cherry
Additional cultivar information:(PP18704, New Generation Roses Collection, aka Black Cherry, JACreflo)
Hybridized by Zary
Registered or introduced: 2006

Class:

Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

Dark red (dr)

Resistant to mildew

Resistant to rust

Susceptible to black spot

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Katy, Texas

Beaverdam, Virginia

Woodinville, Washington

On May 28, 2013, sshort from Kansas City, MO wrote:

Wow! what a great mistake. I bought a labeled Mr. Lincoln and it turned out to be Black Cherry. (use a reliable dealer). For two years I wanted to replace it but was just too lazy. This year at age 3 it is a glorious 3' x 3'. I am now glad it was not Mr. Lincoln. Shrugged off the hoards of aphids, Japanese Beetles, and Cucumber beetles last year. I do not spray for bugs, have too many cute toads and bees. It received the same care as my other roses, some fungicide and food. This year I can cut one stem a get a large bouquet of 3 to 4 inch, ruffled, dark red roses. It loves the heat and sun, does not burn and holds its beauty for several days, never changing. It has a very slight soft fragrance. I'm surprised it is not more available. I live in a zone 6b micro climate and give my ro... read more

On Oct 18, 2009, BajaBlue from Rancho Santa Rita, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Inventors: Zary; Keith W. (Thousand Oaks, CA)
Assignee: Jackson & Perkins Wholesale, Inc. (Medford, OR)

Parentage:
Seed: Esprit (floribunda, Kordes, 1987) Razzle Dazzle (floribunda, Warriner, 1977)
Pollen: Tournament of Roses Esprit
(floribunda, Kordes, 1987)

On Aug 19, 2009, Noelle216 from Bayside, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Nice deep red floribunda rose that produces clusters of 4 - 7 medium-size flowers per cane. My 3 Black Cherry rosebushes repeat-bloom frequently and are nearly always in flower from June to November in my borderline Zone 6/Zone 7 garden. Seems very resistant to Japanese beetles, and not plagued by blackspot or powdery mildew (I never spray because I garden organically, and I'm lazy). Definitely a keeper!

On Sep 22, 2008, zaheer from Bartlett, IL wrote:

Love the glossy foliage. Extremely easy to grow. Japanese Beetles also tend to avoid.

On Jun 11, 2007, daryl from vernon, BC (Zone 6a) wrote:

Advanced hybrid patended.
Black cherry,floribunda of the year in 2006.Dark crimson buds with black tips swirl open to a sumptuous,cherry red.At first ,the velvety petals are edged ever so slightly in a novel chocolaty black,then open to a fully high centered,dusky red bloom.Petal count is 20 - 25.Fragrance is light to damask.

On Nov 24, 2006, Shirley1md from Ellicott City, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Jackson and Perkins awarded this Rose as the 2006 Floribunda of the Year winner because of its deep crimson, black-tipped flowers. It is very disease resistant and reblooms heavily all summer.

On Jun 15, 2006, fermina from Atlanta, GA wrote:

This rose has very glossy dark green foliage that is so pretty, and the blooms are dark red and velvety and just incredible!!! This rose has been very very easy to grow...I do spray it occasionally, but have had no trouble with Black Spot! I cut the blooms wherever and whenever I want, and it bushes out more and keeps on blooming. The scent is very very faint on mine, but nice I guess. It's really all about the leaves and flowers. What an easy and very rewarding rose!!!