PlantFiles: Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'Maria Stern'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Maria Stern
Hybridized by Brownell; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1969

Class:
Hybrid Tea

Orange and orange blend (ob)

Bloom Shape:

Shrub
Bush

Other Details:

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

By genshiro
Thumbnail #5 of Rosa  by genshiro

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by kentstar

Positive Glenn3 On Jul 8, 2010, Glenn3 from Camden, ME wrote:

'Maria Stern' needs some protection here on the coast of Maine; ours finally succumbed to an icy snowless winter some years ago, but not before giving us many years of pleasure. It can occasionally put out a really enormous blossom; I'll post a photo of a finishing 7" specimen.

Neutral genshiro On Jun 19, 2010, genshiro from Whitby

I have had a Maria Stern Rose bush for 7 years now. I have found it to be a 'tempermental' rose. Some years it blooms well all summer and I get many comments on its beauty. Other years, for no reason I can determine, it will bloom sparsely or not at all. It is placed in the sun, always seems healthy, and does not suffer overly much from our cold winters (USDA zone 4b). A Mystery.

Positive kentstar On Jul 2, 2009, kentstar from Ravenna, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

Pretty rose. A bit too deep orange/coral for me. It looks nice, but more like a florescent orange. The fragrance is slight for me. Maybe others can smell better as my smeller is old and worn lol. Unfortunately, she has mosaic virus, so we'll see if she even lasts for winter.
Update: It's now November and she's still done well. She tried to bloom again in September. The later blooms are more pink than coral/orange. She never got any disease, although she did have a problem with Japanese beetles this summer. I've protected for the winter, and hopefully she'll survive here. I think I'll give her one more year to show her stuff.

Positive rosesndogz On May 16, 2009, rosesndogz from Evansville, IN wrote:

I have 80 different varities of roses and Maria Stern is in my top 10! She has the most fantastic orange coral color with a slight silver reverse on the underside of her petals. Her frangrance is very subtle, but long lasting. She makes an exceptional cut flower by blooming on single long stems along with uncurling slowly to the prettiest bloom in the vase. I love to pair her with Aperitif and Cabana in a vase. Repeats very well along with being very black spot free. Holds color well in the southern Indiana humidity and heat!

Positive DrDoolotz On Jun 30, 2007, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

First impressions on this new rose is that it appears to have good disease resistance. It is growing well and strong and now has several blooms on it. I would call it more of a deep coral than a deep orange, but it's very pretty. Good fragrance.

Westchester, Illinois